Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Perel

amother

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 2:58 pm
What would you put on the birth certificate?
I'm planning on calling the baby Perri. I can either put that on or Perel (or Perla, I suppose). None of them are common names in the US, so I guess it doesn't make much of a difference. Opinions?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 3:07 pm
perel, her name

Shuly

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 3:34 pm
Perel

I have a friend with a Hebrew name, an English name on her birth certificate, and a nickname...it causes so much confusion. I am happy to have just one name (actually 2 - a first and a middle, but they are both on my birth certificate)!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 6:24 pm
Well, you put Perel if it's Perel, Perla if it's Perla. Pearl if you give a secular name.
I can't comment on Perri because to my ears it's really bad but it may be cultural (most -I nicknames sound bad and forced to me, I prefer traditional nicknames).

Didi

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 6:49 pm
We used Pearl on my daughters

amother

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 7:26 pm
My jewish name happens to be Perel and another one besides that one, but my legal name is different because my mother didn't like it and she's the one who filled out the birth certificate LOL . I'm called by my legal name because my mother also registered me in school and she registered me under my legal name.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 08 2010, 8:06 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Well, you put Perel if it's Perel, Perla if it's Perla. Pearl if you give a secular name.
I can't comment on Perri because to my ears it's really bad but it may be cultural (most -I nicknames sound bad and forced to me, I prefer traditional nicknames).

All of my kids have their given Hebrew/Yiddish names on their birth certificates. I know the traditional nickname is Perele, but I hate that name. I'll be honest, I'm not hot on Perel at all. It's a family name though & the person who bore it was apparently very special. So I deal, but with a nickname that sounds good to my ears (that's what counts, right?)

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 12:59 pm
Ok, I finally found what bothers me about Peri.
All the peri- words. Perinatal, Perimeter... and worse ones like perianal, perineum...

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:56 pm
Peri- means near, around or surrounding. What's disturbing about that?

Besides, OP spelled it differently.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 4:59 pm
I apologize to OP btw if I hurt her. It was not at all the goal cv.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 5:17 pm
Well...my name is Perel, and it says Perel on my birth certificate too. Never had a problem with non jews pronouncing it either! I know people who just use the name Pearl as the English name-as that's what it means anyhow!

slushiemom

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 2:27 am
My friend just had a girl, they named after a grandmother who was perel, but they didn't want to use that name so they named her prielle. As in, the fruit of Gd.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names