Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Weighted Vest

amother

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 11:19 am
Where can I get a weighted vest from for my child that has adhd and sensory issues and needs to be on a sensory diet?

I am trying to get it through prescription in Brooklyn, New York.

Thank you.

Strudel

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 12:12 pm
Why don't you ask your OT? They might be able to order one at a discount.
I use to order my therapy supplies through Therapro.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 3:10 pm
I don't know if it's possible to get it through prescription. Call a medical supply company to find out if it's possible.

In Brooklyn, you can call Funthinks and ask them if they carry the vests. If they don't, they would be able to direct you to a place to buy it, or maybe special order it for you.

Good luck.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:32 pm
My SIL made one. If you sew I can find out where she got the instructions.

SingALong

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:14 pm
whoever prescribed it for you should give you an idea of where to get it, either in a store, maybe you can go with him and try them on, or online.
and also what type. there are so many wieghted vests out there, once you're spending the money, make sure its the right one that your child needs before ordering.

pina colada

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:16 pm
Do you want a weighted vest or a compression vest?

If its a weighted vest, you can make it yourself, however get guidance from an experienced OT on how heavy to make it and re: frequency and duration of wearing. After a certain amount of time the body gets used to it and it no longer provides input.

If you're looking for compression vests, there are many vendors, one of which is SPIO.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children