Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Help should I pull my son out of his school b-4 it begins?!?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:32 pm
My son is starting pre 1a this year and his class turns out to be really small. Has anyone ever heard of a class size of 7 boys? Is this normal for anyone else? I don't know if it's ok or should I put him in another school and have him with 25 kids? The school with the small class is known for amazing rebbeim. I'm just not sure he needs ALL that attention? Help-school starts in few weeks!!

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:35 pm
my kid just graduated grade 8 with 6 boys and 2 girls. They have never had more than 9 in their class and they seem to have survived. we live in a small town.

lost

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:37 pm
Am I missing something? I weeded out playgroups and nurseries I didn't like due to too large a class or student to care taker ratio. Don't we want our children to not be just a number to their educators? If the Rebbi is known to be amazing even more so I would be thrilled to have my DS in that school.

Last edited by lost on Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

chaylizi

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:43 pm
I wouldn't see that as a problem. I see a smaller class as a maaleh.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:44 pm
op here, thanks for the quick responses. First of I do NOT live in a small town, so to me 6 or 7 boys sounds really small. And the to answer ''lost'' it just seems that its more like a tutor than a class-am I making this complicated, I really am worried, He's my only son...

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:47 pm
I think the class size is fine. What do you think he will gain from a larger class?

Personally I think a smaller class is better.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 7:49 pm
I agree. I was dismayed when one of my kids' classes leaped to 20 girls. The level of care went downhill.

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:11 pm
my son was in a class of 11 last year. it was really nice he was in a bigger class for kindergarten. does the class have recess with other grades? ds made friends with the kids in the other classes besides his. he had an amazing teacher and I really think that it was worth it.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:22 pm
op here. Zigi-11 boys and 6 or 7 is very different isn't it?

zigi

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:33 pm
it is different but not by much, I know I don't know how big ds class is going to be next year. the other schools have 20- 25 kids in the class. he is going back to the small school. I went to school with 7 girls in my class. that is what I'm used to.

Dini

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 8:54 pm
pre 1a is not such a big deal if anything it is a great year for him to be in such a small class because they learn to read. I would only be concerned for when he gets older.

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 9:30 pm
There is nothing like a rebbe being able to give 100% to each boy, especially when they are learning to read. I would keep my kid there, Heck, if I had a kid that age I would put him there to be in that class!

mamaleh

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 9:46 pm
I taught a Primary class (Lakewood equivelent of pre 1a) with 7 boys. They all gained tremendously. The rebbe was really able to get to know each boy and had time to deal with differences in levels without the whole class losing out. The same was true for me in the afternoon. I was able to challenge the brighter students while still helping the slower ones progress. I also felt that the boys were much nicer to each other. They got along well, because if they didn't, who were they gonna play with?

groisamomma

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 10:59 pm
I've taught classes as large as 33+ students and some as small as 8 boys. One year I had a class of 4 girls--four!! Although as a teacher it's hard to get a lot of feedback from so few children in the classroom, the students gain tremendously. There's a certain achdus they have that you don't find in larger classes and the teachers are way more in tune to every kid academically and socially. I'd keep my kid there.

me4

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 11:45 pm
I would love for my son to have such a small class!! Some of the classes are way to big. 30,40...

reachout

Post Wed, Aug 11 2010, 11:54 pm
The year that they teach ivra, the boys would benefit much more in a small class. Whats the point of having a large class and half of them need tutoring?

LeahW

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 1:08 am
Everything else being good, I would choose the small class.

drumjj

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 2:33 am
a small class is way better than a big class, the kids are able to gain so much more.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 3:18 am
I do think that small is problematic - it doesn't allow for enough interaction and might give boys too much attention/ scrutiny.

But I can think of much worse problems (my dd once had 41 in her class) - like very large classes, not a good rebbe, children who are a bad influence. Nowhere is going to be perfect - if the rebbes are great that's the main thing.

ysydmom

Post Thu, Aug 12 2010, 4:51 am
Can you please PM me and let me know which school it is, if it's in New York I would be interested in sending my DS there!

When I choose schools I always look at the class size. Kids in larger classes don't always get the attention they need and can fall through the cracks. You are lucky that your son will get lots of attention and might even learn better.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children