Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What are Your Favorite Board Games?
1  2  Next

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 5:48 pm
My two oldest (6 and 4.5) are getting to the loving the games stage.

What are your favorites? My only real "no no" is I don't want lots of non kosher animals (there goes Hungry Hippos which I loved as a kid lol). One or two I can cover up, but not lots.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 6:55 pm
I taught my oldest kids when they were 7 and 6, rummy because I liked it and my husband didn't like to play. Now, they're 12 and 11 and beat me all the time. My 5 year old also knows how to play. Not well, though Wink . My 7 year old also beats me sometimes.

groisamomma

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:01 pm
My 5 and 6 year old love playing Trouble and Uno-both simple to understand if you play with them a few times.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:11 pm
Thanks!

We just bought Uno, Rush Hour Jr, Connect Four, and Tip It. (Haven't given all this to them yet lol)

I have Trouble, Sorry Sliders, and regular Sorry in my Amazon cart while I wait for more responses. Very Happy

Any reviews on Sorry Sliders versus regular Sorry? I really enjoyed Sorry as a kid, but I think it might be a bit above their head right now.

I bought the Jewish Guess Who, but it was so flimsy! It broke already but I was debating getting it again anyway.

enneamom

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:11 pm
Bananagrams

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:13 pm
Oh, and yo'ma, I wish I knew how to play Rummy! I never learned that, or Othello, and only played Backgammon a few times.

I was the Queen of Monopoly and Clue (which I totally wouldn't let my kids play) though. I developed all kinds of strategies.

Marigold

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:15 pm
my 4 yr old loves zingo.

mommy24

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:20 pm
my kids love: clue jr., sorry, chess/checkers, uno, snorta (it has lots of non kosher animals, but I got rid of them and only use the kosher ones- the kids love this game), othello, chinese checkers, stratego, I can't think of others, but I know there are others.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 7:23 pm
Wow, thanks everyone. I'm so appreciative of suggestions because we really need to buy. We didn't have any before!

PB, Zingo looks cool but it looks like there are a lot of non kosher animals...do you have that one or Zingo 1-2-3 which looks more suitable for us?

mommy24, were your kids able to play snorta (crazy name!) well without all the non kosher animals?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 8:15 pm
Tehilla wrote:
Thanks!

We just bought Uno, Rush Hour Jr, Connect Four, and Tip It. (Haven't given all this to them yet lol)

I have Trouble, Sorry Sliders, and regular Sorry in my Amazon cart while I wait for more responses. Very Happy

Any reviews on Sorry Sliders versus regular Sorry? I really enjoyed Sorry as a kid, but I think it might be a bit above their head right now.

I bought the Jewish Guess Who, but it was so flimsy! It broke already but I was debating getting it again anyway.

My 7 and 11 yr old played sorry sliders when we were by my sister. They both liked it, as well as my sisters kids. I wasn't paying attention.

I forgot, like other people said, uno.

Marigold

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 8:17 pm
Tehilla wrote:
Wow, thanks everyone. I'm so appreciative of suggestions because we really need to buy. We didn't have any before!

PB, Zingo looks cool but it looks like there are a lot of non kosher animals...do you have that one or Zingo 1-2-3 which looks more suitable for us?

mommy24, were your kids able to play snorta (crazy name!) well without all the non kosher animals?

I have the one with the animals as I bought it before she knew numbers and it's more exciting for younger kids. (I hear ya what with all the non-kosher animals but my daughter can play with it for hours (alone) so it's something I can deal with.)
Another game she likes is candyland and match-the-mitvahs. (she's my oldest)

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 8:18 pm
Tehilla wrote:
Oh, and yo'ma, I wish I knew how to play Rummy! I never learned that, or Othello, and only played Backgammon a few times.

I was the Queen of Monopoly and Clue (which I totally wouldn't let my kids play) though. I developed all kinds of strategies.

I know how to play rummy because my grandparents used to play it all the time and I went to their house often. Memories!! Smile

saw50st8

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 10:38 pm
Chess and Settlers of Catan. But those aren't for really little kids Tongue Out

imabima

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 12:12 am
enneamom wrote:
Bananagrams

I love Bananagrams!!! Good to practice spelling, word building, etc.

farm

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 9:59 am
5 1/2 years- favorites right now are Sorry and Battleship but still happy to play Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. Never got into Zingo, just liked making a mess with all those pieces! I loved Tricky Fingers as a kid.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 10:53 am
my 4 yr old loves candyland
we love bananagrams, DS will sit there with us and play making his "board" as he calls it.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:03 am
I love bananagrams, my kids are learning to spell! But not for very young kids.

When they were younger our favorites were: Sorry, Chutes and Ladders, and Candyland. As they got older we added rummy, Othello, Battleship, and Monopoly. DD got Apples to Apples last year, great for times when lots of friends are over.

Best card game in our house is Skipbo.

Quote:

Why not?

The Visnitzer Rebbe bought my father a game of Monopoly when he was a little boy. It's always been a family favorite.

YALT

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:18 am
Uno, Rummy, Trouble, Guess who (non jewish version) othello - I play with DS (4½).
Mastermind is another good one.
When we were a bit older we played (still do when my brothers are here) monopoly & risk
I play with him on shabbos, and he learns 1 game at a time. first basic rules, and then I'll add on rules later.

you can come to me - I'll teach you how to play Rummy.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 11:57 am
Quote:
Mastermind is another good one.

Memories! I have to get this.

Cookies n Cream

Post Wed, Aug 25 2010, 2:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I love bananagrams, my kids are learning to spell! But not for very young kids.

When they were younger our favorites were: Sorry, Chutes and Ladders, and Candyland. As they got older we added rummy, Othello, Battleship, and Monopoly. DD got Apples to Apples last year, great for times when lots of friends are over.

Best card game in our house is Skipbo.

Quote:

Why not?

The Visnitzer Rebbe bought my father a game of Monopoly when he was a little boy. It's always been a family favorite.

I think she's referring to CLue.
The pictures are not Tzniusdik.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children