Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How/when to tell 6 year old DD about upcoming new baby?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 10:18 pm
I have 2 DD's, age 6 and age 3. I'm IY'H expecting my third this winter. I just started showing and I noticed my DD age 6 looking at my stomache and touching me.

the past few months both my DD's have been asking when we will be getting a new baby, how do we get a new baby, etc. They ask if we can have a girl/boy or twins, etc. they keep saying how much they wish we can have a new baby. my 6 year old dd is somewhat clueless about the facts of life and has asked questions in the past about where babies come from, etc.

so I'm just looking for tips/advice how much in advance I should tell her that we are getting a new baby, do I get a book, do I just explain vaguely. I'm definitely interested in minimizing details, no need to explain HOW the baby gets inside the moomy...maybe I'll say Hashem puts it there to grow. but I think maybe its time to let her know that a baby grows inside mommy. I don't think she knows that yet....any ideas of how to explain things and when would be an appropriate time?

imasinger

Post Tue, Aug 24 2010, 10:24 pm
When to tell is a personal decision, based on hashkafa and your own sense of what is right for your family.

How to tell is also individual, but shouldn't be too difficult since a) there is generally an expressed wish for a sibling, so it should be positive, exciting news, and b) you are probably not the first person in her recent experience to have a baby. Something on the order of, "Guess what? I"YH, we are going to have a very special bracha around _____. Remember that you've been wishing for a baby in the family? Well, you must have davened really well for it..."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children