Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move to EY
1  2  Next

amother

Post Fri, Aug 27 2010, 11:48 am
So it seems that EY is the best place to live. Besides for kedusha aspect, it seems that financial-wise it'll also be cheaper. I don't need to convince DH, since he'd love to move there. It was me who has an issue with living there. But I am very into the fact that before we move we need to know that there is something there for us. I don't want to give up DH's job until we have something else.
So:
a) where do I start to look for jobs for both of us?
b) What is the salary there? minimum, maximum,
c) how much would rent be? (for a 3-bdrm) and if I live outside the main city, then I'd prob need a car?
d) how much does a cleaning woman charge? minimum hours she'll work at a house?
e) if I understand correctly, tuition is up to $100/child? Is that in any school, or only if your not picky about where your child goes? I would want to send my kids to a school built around the foundations of our chassidus.
f) how much does food normally budget a week there?
Not sure if I missed out any thing.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:16 pm
first thing you can do is tell the israeli women here what you both do and people can give you leads. also there is a site called israemploy. check that out.

b) What is the salary there? minimum, maximum, it totally depends what fields you are talking about.

c) how much would rent be? (for a 3-bdrm) and if I live outside the main city, then I'd prob need a car? it completely depends on where you are looking to rent. there is a big range depending on where you will live. and in terms of a car, that also depends, where you will live, if there is a good bus system, number of children (if it will be easier for you to have a car or take a bus)

d) how much does a cleaning woman charge? minimum hours she'll work at a house? I think the norm almost all over is 40 shekels an hour, or something in that range. and the minimum amount of time also depends on the cleaning person. we had a guy come to us when we lived on a yishuv that came for two hours. he also worked in someone elses house in the morning for four hours, so it was worth his while to come to us for two hours.

e) if I understand correctly, tuition is up to $100/child? Is that in any school, or only if your not picky about where your child goes? I would want to send my kids to a school built around the foundations of our chassidus. this question I cant help you with as my daughter is not school age yet.

f) how much does food normally budget a week there? depends on how many are in your family.

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:27 pm
As far as tuition - it depends on what school you send. I know that boy's cheders are private, so tuition is definitely higher. I don't know what tuition is everywhere, but in my sons' cheder it's closer to $200. Bais Yaakov is almost free, but if you send your girls to a different school you might have to pay more.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:34 pm
amother wrote:
So it seems that EY is the best place to live. Besides for kedusha aspect, it seems that financial-wise it'll also be cheaper. I don't need to convince DH, since he'd love to move there. It was me who has an issue with living there. But I am very into the fact that before we move we need to know that there is something there for us. I don't want to give up DH's job until we have something else.
So:
a)[b] where do I start to look for jobs for both of us? That totally depends on your fields.
b) What is the salary there? minimum, maximum, Again, what are your fields? Minimum full time wage would probably be about 4000 NIS. Just a ballpark figure. I think the average wage is 8000 NIS. The wage issue varies widely from community to community. I've noticed that here on imamother people seem to get by on much, much less income than the average Israeli.
c) how much would rent be? (for a 3-bdrm) and if I live outside the main city, then I'd prob need a car? That utterly depends on location. What is the main city??? Certainly Jerusalem is not the 'main city' when it comes to employment - Tel Aviv is. You might need a car if you live out the main city - depends which city we're talking about, how good transport is, etc. Most people I know have a car per family. But again, I think the standards are different on imamother.
d) how much does a cleaning woman charge? minimum hours she'll work at a house? 40-45 NIS per hour, sometimes with an extra 10-20 NIS for transport. May be higher or lower depending on location. Where I live, they won't come for less than 5 hrs at a time.
e) if I understand correctly, tuition is up to $100/child? Is that in any school, or only if your not picky about where your child goes? I would want to send my kids to a school built around the foundations of our chassidus. I have no idea how much chassidic schools cost.
f) how much does food normally budget a week there? We spend 1000 NIS per week for a family of 7 (with teens). I realize many on imamother spend less.
Not sure if I missed out any thing.
[/b]

Tamiri

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:39 pm
None of the answers are relevant unless you plan on living on your savings in dollars, because we will give you numbers in shekels and you still have no idea what your income will be here. I can say that a rental will run you between 3 and 5 thousand shekels per month, based on 3 bedrooms in a decent area not too far from a major metropolis. If you are earning 8000 shekels per month, it's not doable. If you are earning 18 thousand - it is. It doesn't matter what the numbers come out to in dollars if you will be living on shekels.
True, things here *can* be less expensive but compared to what you earn, they can be overwhelming. The best advice is for you to come here and find jobs. Everything else should work out, particularly if you are a young family with young children.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:48 pm
Tuition if you are chassidish:

Probably boys cheder would be semi-private. Yes, around $100 a month or less.

Girl's school will probably be chinuch atzmai = no charge (except for books, trips, extracurricular etc). Some chassiduses have yiddish speaking, semi-private schools outside CA which might charge.

Liba

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 3:55 pm
amother wrote:

That totally depends on your fields and experience.

Quote:
b) What is the salary there? minimum, maximum,

Minimum wage brings home about 3,500nis a month. I don't think there is a maximum.

Quote:
c) how much would rent be? (for a 3-bdrm) and if I live outside the main city, then I'd prob need a car?

There are good bus systems in many communities. 3-5nis a month would be what I have heard for three bedroom apartments for rent. A three bedroom apartment here is called a four room apartment.

Quote:
d) how much does a cleaning woman charge? minimum hours she'll work at a house?

45-50nis/hour and generally 3 hours minimum here, though you can get fewer hours if you split hours with a neighbor for the day.

Quote:
e) if I understand correctly, tuition is up to $100/child? Is that in any school, or only if your not picky about where your child goes? I would want to send my kids to a school built around the foundations of our chassidus.

The public Beis Yaakov is 450nis a year plus uniforms (40-45nis each shirt) and books (another 200-500nis a year) per child.

Quote:
f) how much does food normally budget a week there?

That depends on how you eat, how many people you are feeding, etc. We generally spend 500-600nis a week for groceries. If there is a good sale we spend more and stock up.

amother

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 4:19 pm
c.c.cookie wrote:
As far as tuition - it depends on what school you send. I know that boy's cheders are private, so tuition is definitely higher. I don't know what tuition is everywhere, but in my sons' cheder it's closer to $200. Bais Yaakov is almost free, but if you send your girls to a different school you might have to pay more.

Is that $200 a month?

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 5:20 pm
you mentioned that you are part of a chassidus? if so, I think its worth your while to speak with someone in ey from your group and ask her about tuition

also, does that mean you want to live where they have a community, to make things easier? if so, would you want to post this info so the imamothers who know more details can help you maybe?

as you wish. hatslacha

amother

Post Sat, Aug 28 2010, 11:06 pm
I belong to Chabad.
DH does not have a degree, but he works in B&H Photo Video as a salesman. He also plays the keyboard, but I don't think in Israel it's customary to hire bands for bar mitzvahs. I'm not sure if he wants to play at weddings.
I don't have any degrees, but I do have a lot of experience in office settings. I do actually have a "degree" in medical billing, but no experience yet, as I've just finished the course.

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 1:27 am
As far as I know, Chabad schools for girls are practically free. In any case, the ones I am familiar with don't have a monthly payment, just a yearly one (all schools in Israel have a yearly payment, between 1000 -2000 NIS). Plus books and uniforms.
Would you want to live in a big Chabad community? Like Kfar Chabad? Or Tzfat? (The latter perhaps not a good idea due to lack of jobs).
People do hire bands here for bar mitzvot - but probably not Chabadniks.

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 4:12 am
Several of the Chabad bar mitzvot I have attended have had live music.

Chabad boys school may be several hundred shekel a month, girls school are generally less money.

Tablepoetry, full tuition for two girls here was 880nis combined. We actually got a discount since the irya gives them money for new olim. The first couple years we paid nothing. Last year was our third year and our total for two girls was 580nis.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 5:28 am
It should be noted that 'daycare/tuition' for kids under 3 is really high.

It's going to cost us more than 1500+ NIS/month for our 3 year to go to public gan with tzaharon..

Liba

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 5:31 am
catonmylap are/were you working? We got huge discounts on maon when I was working.

We paid 337nis a month for my son when he was 1 and 2. That was 7:45am-3:30pm.

raspberry tea

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 6:34 am
My boys Chabad cheder charges about 200 nis a month each. (discounts available). The big cost for my DD's are the bus fees.

If you want pm me, it's not easy here financially, but I'm so glad we are here.

Blimi

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 8:08 am
Dear OP,
The best place to start finding answers to all your questions is the Nefesh B'Nefesh website, followed by a consultation with an NBN aliya counselor. All the questions you ask are big ones and the answers depend on so many factors. You need to do serious research and NBN are the experts. They will tell you like it is - jobs, rent, neighborhoods, cars, education, etc.
Living in EY is a big zechus, but after almost ten years I have come to the conclusion that the only good reason to move here is that you feel good living here. And to know that, you really just have to try it. Can you take a year off work and give it a try? Without committing.
In any case, visit the NBN website.
Behatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 8:27 am
People often have keyboadists for bar mitzvas here.
Rent in Tzfat is cheap and there isa large chabad community. You do not need a car in tzfat.
Ohr Menachem girls is free.
Ohr Menachem boys tuition is 590 shekel a year.

catonmylap

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 10:24 am
Liba wrote:
catonmylap are/were you working? We got huge discounts on maon when I was working.

I've been working at least part-time the whole time...

We've gone private until now.-- 1800NIS/month then 1850/month..

now we are going public, and it's still a fortune... we don't qualify for need based - at least we didn't before when dh was working... (I didn't recalculate- and I don't know if you can apply later...maybe when we move...but we still might not qualify because we're only 3 people)..

337/month is a relative fortune compared to free or 450NIS/year for the older kids.

zipporah

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 9:43 pm
Liba wrote:

A lot of the discounts for 3 year old gan ended last year. Our 3 year old gan is 800 per month and tzaharon would be another 800. Last year we fought for a discount, but only got approved for half the year. The maon discounts are more organized, but you pay full price for 2-4 months and then get reimbursed. Sorry, I have other bills to pay... future kids will stay home til 4 year old gan: 800 NIS per year.

As a side note to the original post- Is the cost of cleaning help really a make it or break it for making aliyah? Like, if a cleaning lady cost 20K NIS per year, you shouldn't come? Rolling Eyes

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 11:56 pm
Liba wrote:
Several of the Chabad bar mitzvot I have attended have had live music.

Chabad boys school may be several hundred shekel a month, girls school are generally less money.

Tablepoetry, full tuition for two girls here was 880nis combined. We actually got a discount since the irya gives them money for new olim. The first couple years we paid nothing. Last year was our third year and our total for two girls was 580nis.

You're right. I unintentionally quoted the prices for junior/high school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating