Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yerachmiel
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 10:27 pm
Any ideas for a nickname? I think calling a little baby yerachmiel may be too long and hard.
(Also not sure if the baby would have a second name and what I'd choose..)
I definitely would love to use this as the name he'd be called. (IF I have a boy lol)
Any ideas?

anonymom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 10:54 pm
Rachi
Jerry
Rachmi (I just made it up but I think it's cute)
I agree it's a big name for a little baby.

lech lecha08

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 11:20 pm
DH's cousin is Yerachmiel and the family seems to call him Yerach mostly

Bliss

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 11:40 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
DH's cousin is Yerachmiel and the family seems to call him Yerach mostly
That's cute. My son is also Yerachmiel, but we call him by his other name.

enneamom

Post Sun, Aug 29 2010, 11:41 pm
Hpw about Rocky? 8)

Shuly

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:21 am
enneamom wrote:
Hpw about Rocky? 8)

I know a Yerachmiel who is called Rocky and another one who is called Rachmiel.

Yerachmiel does not have any more syllables than Elisheva or Avigayil, so it's not really that long!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:36 am
I know a Rocky.

My bechor is also Yerachmiel but we use his second name. Yerachmiel is too much of a mouthful.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:02 am
No offense to anyone with a son called Yerachmiel, but I feel I must warn op that this name is one of the most mocked in Israel. It's like a stereotype Shlumiel. This may be totally irrelevant to op - but if she's thinking of making aliya ever or if she already lives here, it's food for thought.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 8:31 am
Yirmy (pronounced year-me) or Rocky.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 1:43 pm
in response to the # of syllables being the same as elisheva/avigail:
I happen to think those names are too long as well, and I'd prob use a nickname if I'd choose those for my girls. But at least they don't have a "ch" sound. I think that is what makes yerachmiel such a hard name: 1. bec it is so long. 2. bec it has a hard "ch" in it.
Because of the "ch" it is hard to find a nickname without that harsh sound. I'm looking for something softer bec the meaning is soft (at least imo). rocky is not very soft.
yirmy is interesting. that's a possibility.
yerach, rachmiel, rachmi all have the ch which I prefer to avoid.
I don't really love any of the nicknames so I'm still open to ideas.
Thanks for all the ideas so far. Please keep them comiing!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
Any ideas for a nickname? I think calling a little baby yerachmiel may be too long and hard.
(Also not sure if the baby would have a second name and what I'd choose..)
I definitely would love to use this as the name he'd be called. (IF I have a boy lol)
Any ideas?

I LOVE this name! Im somewhere between MO and RWO and live in the states. I, as a rule, dont do "ch" names. But this one is amazing.

-Yery
-Rachy
-Chemi
-Eli

Eli! Thats a good one. Very common and easy to say.

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:00 pm
Youmi

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:02 pm
I like Rocky as a nickname.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
-Chemi
-Eli

I would never think a person's name is Yerachmiel if they're called, Eli.
I know a Chemi and Rocky. I guess their names are Yerachmiel Confused .

Tamiri

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
No offense to anyone with a son called Yerachmiel, but I feel I must warn op that this name is one of the most mocked in Israel. It's like a stereotype Shlumiel. This may be totally irrelevant to op - but if she's thinking of making aliya ever or if she already lives here, it's food for thought.
Totally news to me, but then again I don't know any Yerachmiels IRL (I know a Yerach) and only know of one, Yerachmiel Bigun.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:13 pm
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:
-Chemi
-Eli

Why the confusion? So what you wouldnt guess backwards that Eli is Yerachmiel? It's just a nickname- there are no formal rules. And I think it makes sense that any time a name ends in ___el, a nickname could be Eli. They're just nicknames, OP you could use "Buster" if you wanted! lol

WriterMom

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 3:13 pm
amother wrote:

I love the name, but was roundly shot down by everyone I ran it past (in midwest USA, not Israel.) It's a lovely name, both in sound and in meaning, but ... I wasn't up for picking a name that all my family and friends thought was dreadful.

Shuly

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 4:57 pm
lol - did you ever hear that Yerachmiel is the Russian form of Helena?!!
http://www.babyzone.com/babyna.....hmiel

I happen to love the name Yerachmiel, but I thought that link was hysterical!

runninglate

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 5:11 pm
I have a nephew named yerachmiel, and my brother nicknamed him Rocky. SIL and brother are not the type - did not appreciate it! it became something of a joke in the family! but I never dreamed ppl would use it as a nickname by which the child is really called!
another yerachmiel I know ended up being called miel, but it sounds a bit strange.

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 30 2010, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
amother wrote:
-Chemi
-Eli

Why the confusion? So what you wouldnt guess backwards that Eli is Yerachmiel? It's just a nickname- there are no formal rules. And I think it makes sense that any time a name ends in ___el, a nickname could be Eli. They're just nicknames, OP you could use "Buster" if you wanted! lol

Just to point out first, I'm not into nicknames whatsoever. Even ask my sisters who call their chilldren by a nickname, but I don't. I also think a nickname is not something that should be planned. Now that I got that out of the way, the only Eli's I ever heard of are ones when their name starts with Eli, like Eliezer, Elimelech, etc.., not at the end.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names