Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Sushi..
Previous  1  2  3  Next

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 11:12 am
Ok I'm bringing this topic back up again.

Anyone have experience making sushi with RAW fish?

Is there a spicific fish I need to buy- How do I select the best fish for sushi?

How long can a piece of raw fish sit in the fridge?

Any shushi pros out there? I can use your help on this!

Flower

myomi

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 9:27 pm
I just took a sushi making class,so I can help with ur question.fisrly u have to use sushi grade fish,a ghood fish store will know what u r talking about.the woman who taught the class used salmon-trout,which she said was a gr8 fish for making sushi,do not let the fish sit in ur fridge for longer than a day,nor shoyuld it sit around outside foor more then an hr.good luck!

micki

Post Thu, Nov 24 2005, 11:39 pm
we just had a sushi demo here and the lady said not to use raw fish unless you are a pro. she got parasites when she did use raw the first time.

we jsut made it for supper- yum!!!
we used steamed carrots, soy salami, avocado and sesame seeds. cam eout sooooo good!

tzivi

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 3:29 am
Thankyou everyone for all the wonderful suggestions.... I love sushi and now I have a whole bunch of yummy fillings! Very Happy Very Happy

hardwrknmom

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 10:58 am
micki wrote:
we just had a sushi demo here and the lady said not to use raw fish unless you are a pro. she got parasites when she did use raw the first time.

Micki thanks for the info. I was actually concerened about that. I figured there was health risks. I will diffenetely not use raw fish for the first time. Don't want to take a chance.

Anyone else with great shushi ideas- keep them rollin.. (and I mean litterely;)

MMEC123

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 1:30 pm
zuncompany wrote:
the horseradish mayo.

I was just trying to figure out how they make that stuff because I make sushi all the time and we like that horseradish mayo when we go to the stores.. What's in it?

tzivi

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 6:25 am
By the way, just in case anyone doesn't know this...
you should NEVER eat raw fish when you are expecting.

MMEC123

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 7:09 pm
tzivi wrote:

Someone recently told me that pregnant women should not eat fish at all (raw or cooked). I had never heard that before. Any basis?

tzivi

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 7:29 pm
MMEC123 wrote:
tzivi wrote:

Someone recently told me that pregnant women should not eat fish at all (raw or cooked). I had never heard that before. Any basis?

I have never heard that pregnant women shouldn't eat cooked fish, I davka thought you were meant to, for the protein. I know that you shouldn't eat raw for for fear of bacteria.

willow

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 5:29 am
Pregnant women can eat cooked fish ( never raw) but in moderation. The reason is because of the high levels of mercury found in fish.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 10:59 am
haven't ever made it -- and don't buy it, cuz they charge a fortune! but my father (who works in catering) brings me some sometimes. Smile
I like avocado with imitation crab meat. That's an alternative to raw fish - cuz it's cooked fish.

hardwrknmom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 9:15 pm
absolutely eat cooked fish!! its the BEST for the babies brain Smile I had salmon almost 5 times a week- does a child's brain well Tongue Out Very Happy

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 10:16 pm
it depends on the fish. I heard you shouldn't have more than one can of tuna a week during pregnancy.

tzivi

Post Sun, Nov 27 2005, 11:36 pm
brachad wrote:
it depends on the fish. I heard you shouldn't have more than one can of tuna a week during pregnancy.

Why?

myomi

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 7:29 am
b/c of mercury sometimes found in fish,too much/any is not healthy.

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:44 pm
myomi wrote:
b/c of mercury sometimes found in fish,too much/any is not healthy.

Asked the doc about it- its ridiculous- mercury isnt found in the kosher tuna we eat. I ate tuna will all my kids almost 5 times a week.

Doc says there's nothing to worry about.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:50 pm
hmmm....interesting because I've heard advertisement in a frum store that a certain tuna has less mercury than other brands.... I thought it naturally has mercury in tuna....and what makes tuna "kosher"?? It's a fish. All tuna fish are kosher, though, of course you'd only buy one with a hechsher.
I think there IS mercury in some fish. It may not affect you, but they say to limit it, because you don't want to take a chance. Just like caffeine - some is okay, but don't overdo it.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 9:26 am
brachad wrote:
I think there IS mercury in some fish. It may not affect you, but they say to limit it, because you don't want to take a chance. Just like caffeine - some is okay, but don't overdo it.

I wouldn't compare the two. I wasn't addicted to tuna (like coffee) I just ate it cause I liked it Wink

mommy2

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 12:32 pm
when u all make sushi do u use those bamboo mats? And do u use rice wine vinegar?

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 12:42 pm
I use the mat, it makes it easier to roll. I don't use rice vinegar, instead I use the recipe found at the bottom of this page: http://www.rain.org/~hutch/rice.html

it tastes just like the real thing and it's much cheaper and less wasteful than buying a bottle of specialty vinegar that I'll hardly use.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics