Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hallel Odelia
1  2  3  4  Next

Hallel Odelia
Beautiful!  
 37%  [ 20 ]
Awful!  
 62%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 54

amother

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:37 pm
I really like this name, but I have this niggling feeling in the back of my brain that it may have crossed the line from beautiful to ridiculous. What do you think?

Isramom8

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:42 pm
My feeling is that it goes overboard. One or the other is beautiful. Hallel is modern and Odelia is old fashioned.

enneamom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:44 pm
I personally wouldn't name a kid either of these names because we are just not that "type", but if you are, to me it sounds beautiful. Does the name mean praise and thank Hashem?

aidelmaidel

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 5:49 pm
There's no option for "not my taste".

Personally I'm a fan of mixing tanach, modern, and yiddish names. It gives your kids a choice of which name to use.

I have one child with a name that is TANACH, YIDDISH, MODERN and another that is YIDDISH/RUSSIAN, TANACH/MODERN.

The first child uses the Tanach name, and the second child also uses the tanach/modern name, but both use the diminunative - Rivki for Rivkah, Miri for Miriam, etc.

I could not name my children with the either end of the naming spectrum - ie no Shprintzas, Kreindels, Bleikas, but no Maayana, Shalhevet, Hallel, Omer, etc either.

But having an usual name can be either a blessing or a curse depending on how you frame it.

MommyZ

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 6:01 pm
Neither one is my taste. I have one daughter Leora Bracha. I wouldn't give names like Hallel or Hodaya or most modern Israeli names.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 6:05 pm
OP

Just to clarify--we live in Israel, so having a modern Israeli name won't be strange. Also, she would only be called Hallel.

(What about Hallel Ashira? Is that better or worse?)

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 9:22 pm
I think it's beautiful!
We mix Israeli and Tanach names and I certainly wouldn't mind tossing in Yiddish as well down the road.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:01 pm
It is BEAUTIFUL! Go for it!

saw50st8

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:14 pm
I love it.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:49 pm
Odelia is not to my taste so much. I like Hallel but my cousins daughter named Hallel found it very difficult when she went over into the chareidi camp to be saddled with the name Hallel and now goes by Tehilla.

That said if it flies in your circles its your daughter and if it feels right - go for it. Mothers have an extra sense about names, right?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 01 2010, 10:54 pm
ugly

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:44 am
I think perhaps the combination is overkill.

I prefer Odelia, think it's a beautiful name. Hallel also seems to me an easily made fun of name but I'm just sensitive about that stuff.

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:47 am
I think you're asking this to the wrong crowd.
Modern israeli you're saying? Not ridiculous at all. Very beautiful.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:52 am
I love Hallel, although in certain circles it's becoming a bit too popular for my taste (there are 2 Hallels in dd's gan). But it has a nice ring, it's young, modern, has a lovely meaning.

Odeliya - well, I like the way it sounds, it flows nicely. However, it is old-fashioned for Israel. I would definitely not use it for a first name. And as a second name, it means the same as Hallel, so it's a bit redundant.
The two names together also don't flow too well, too many l's and the d in the middle isn't helping. I think Hallel Ashira flows a bit better - but how would you pronounce Ashira? As in, 'I will sing'?

Are you planning on actually using both names, or is the second just a formal middle name?

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:00 am
I think Ashira is horrible.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:07 am
Zus wrote:
I think Ashira is horrible.

You don't mince words, do you? Very Happy
I actually have never come across the name before - didn't even know it existed.

OP - if you want something with song, how about Hallel Shir? Hallel Shiri? Hallel Shira?

shalhevet

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:25 am
Tablepoetry wrote:

OP - if you want something with song, how about Hallel Shir? Hallel Shiri? Hallel Shira?

Mad Those combos are just awful IMHO - really kitsch.

Disclaimer: all the names on the thread are not my style so forget my opinion. But this was definitely the worst. Sorry Table.

I agree about the Odelya - Odelyas are usually about 30+.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:28 am
I would go with Hallel Odeya. Odelya is slightly outmoded. What's wrong with just Hallel? It is less common in Israel to have two names just because.
I like the name, not exactly a name I'd use myself but I like it for other people.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:34 am
And BTW I love the name Ashira, but my DH doesn't like it. I think Hallel Ashira is great.
However, Hallel is a bit tooo common for my taste.

cubbie

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:15 am
I love Hallel - (I have a Halleli) I don't like Odelia though.
She's Halleli Batya, but that's because she was born a week before pesach.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names