Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hallel Odelia
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Hallel Odelia
Beautiful!  
 37%  [ 20 ]
Awful!  
 62%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 54

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:40 am
Where is Hallel popular?

Why have kids had problems with the name?

I like it by the way :-)

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:53 am
invisiblecircus wrote:
Where is Hallel popular?

Why have kids had problems with the name?

I like it by the way :-)

Hallel is popular in DL circles country-wide. Although, I do have a chareidi relative who named her daughter Hallel.

Zus

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 4:50 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
Zus wrote:
I think Ashira is horrible.

You don't mince words, do you? Very Happy

Nope, I'm dutch!

By the way, there is nothing more scary than naming a baby. We're having the brit for our little one tomorrow, and BH we've finally decided on a name, but for some reason I'm a bit worried how people would react. And we only picked a very solid tanachi name, nothing fancy!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 4:53 am
Odelia is young and modern but not "very modern". Hallel on a girl is really too "modern" for me. I already prefer Hillela.

hila

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 5:10 am
never heard of Hilella.
anyway it has a different meaning - I guess it is a female Hillel

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 5:16 am
Ruchel wrote:
Odelia is young and modern but not "very modern". Hallel on a girl is really too "modern" for me. I already prefer Hillela.

It seems that French Jewish society is a bit behind the times.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 5:35 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Actually I know of many baby and toddler Odelias also in Belgium, Switzerland, Italy...

Isramom8

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 6:01 am
Hallel Ashira and Hallel Shiri makes sense, and sound beautiful.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 6:07 am
Ruchel wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

Actually I know of many baby and toddler Odelias also in Belgium, Switzerland, Italy...

OK I'll admit I know nothing about current Jewish naming trends in Europe.

mae1984

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 6:16 am
My daughters second name is Odelia and I love it. We used it instead of my grandmothers name which was Oodel.
I think the 2 names by themselves are beautiful, but I'm not sure they go together so well, I'm not sure that they 'flow'

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:08 pm
gut reaction was : yuck
hallel hmmm
odelia OLD

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:21 pm
Hallel is okay. I don't like Odelia (reminds me of Amelia Bedelia) and certainly not together.
What's wrong with Sarah or Leah? LOL

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:29 pm
(H)Odaya sounds close to Odelia and is more "young" as an average than Odelia...

amother

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 1:38 pm
I have a Hodaya that was named for a Hoodel.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:15 pm
Ive never heard of Hallel as a name, and now Im struck by the beauty of it.

shevi82

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:25 pm
Quote:
chanchy123 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

In Israel Odeliya is more like an older sefardi lady. I would go with Odya like mentioned above, though I think Hallel is a very pretty name by it's self.

ora_43

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 2:34 pm
I like Hallel and Odelia, but I agree that you should take into account that Odelia is an "older" name (also, is Hallel a girls name davka, or a boys name as well? Personally I like to avoid gender-neutral names because they tend to swing one way or another at some point - and then you end up with women named Doron and men named Maayan when everyone already thinks of those names as belonging to the opposite s-x).

I don't think they sound nice together, because of the repeating "ell" sound. Ha-lell-o-dell. Although I guess that wouldn't matter much if you don't plan to use the middle name very much.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:23 pm
My first reaction was: what a beautiful name, and if you chose it to honor any relatives, go for it. If not, then take your time, think about whatever input you're getting, and remember - you and your husband are the ones with the ruach hakodesh when it comes to the naming. An unusual name doesn't have to be a problem, but you don't want to saddle your kids with something ugly, with bad initials, etc. I think you're safe with this, IMO.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 11:28 pm
I am not israeli so none of these would go.

chatz

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 12:02 am
American over here

The only Odelia I know is 25, Sephardic descent. So I don't associate it with being old. I don't know any Hallels.

I think each name is beautiful, but the combination just doesn't go. Too much of a mouthful.

Zus - mazal tov!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names