Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hallel Odelia
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Hallel Odelia
Beautiful!  
 37%  [ 20 ]
Awful!  
 62%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 54

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:54 pm
im not familar with the names Hallel or Odelia, however I do know a girl named Ashira, and I think its a gorgeous name! its like Shira but funkier! So maybe Hallel Ashira could work, which you mentioned as an option?

amother

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:59 am
Zus wrote:
I think Ashira is horrible.

Isn't there another way to say that without offending people?

Zus

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 4:57 am
amother wrote:
Zus wrote:
I think Ashira is horrible.

Isn't there another way to say that without offending people?

I said, I think. My opinion.
With all due respect,, but getting offended is your own choice.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 7:50 am
Ashira and Adira are American (Teanecky?) Hebrew names but they aren't that nice, I don't know why. Maybe the way they are pronounced? aSHEErah aDEErah. I don't know why but like other posters, I can't relate.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 7:53 am
chatz wrote:

I think each name is beautiful, but the combination just doesn't go. Too much of a mouthful.

I was thinking about this. I don't know if it's so much that the names are a mouthful (they really aren't), I think it's the idea behind using both of them together that's sort of "over the top". It's like being overly effusive in recognizing Hashem's gift of the child, which then goes to cheapen the whole name. I don't know if my idea is getting across, it's hard to explain.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 7:55 am
Ashira and shira are common all around.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 8:30 am
Tamiri wrote:
Ashira and Adira are American (Teanecky?) Hebrew names but they aren't that nice, I don't know why. Maybe the way they are pronounced? aSHEErah aDEErah. I don't know why but like other posters, I can't relate.

You don't mean that people perceive them as not nice, you mean that you personally don't like them, right? Just clafirying. These names aren't the norm for me, but after davening for Adira Boltshauser, it seems like a fine name to me.

elf123

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 8:53 am
Tamiri wrote:

Don't get me started on "Teanecky" names....the funny part is, I'm sure when people started giving them, they thought they were being original, but now there are DOZENS of girls with the same names. One in particular, and it's not like there's anything really wrong with these names, but some of them are as "made up" as some of these crazy "African-American" names. (By the way I live in the Teaneck area.)
Another question, hope this doesn't sound too dumb:
Since when is Odelia a Jewish name? I'm not saying it isn't, but I'd never even heard of it until recently, and I just never associated it with being Jewish.

yaakovsmom

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 9:08 am
elf123, Odelia has always been a Jewish name. It means "I give thanks to G-d."

MommyZ

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 10:57 am
elf123 wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Don't get me started on "Teanecky" names....the funny part is, I'm sure when people started giving them, they thought they were being original, but now there are DOZENS of girls with the same names. One in particular, and it's not like there's anything really wrong with these names, but some of them are as "made up" as some of these crazy "African-American" names. (By the way I live in the Teaneck area.)
Another question, hope this doesn't sound too dumb:
Since when is Odelia a Jewish name? I'm not saying it isn't, but I'd never even heard of it until recently, and I just never associated it with being Jewish.

LOL LOL LOL

saw50st8

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 10:58 am
What's a "Teanecky" name? I live there and would love a definition.

My sister in Lakewood named my niece Adira.

MommyZ

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:01 am
saw50st8 wrote:

I would think it means a cutesy Modern Hebrew word-name I.e. a word used as a name that has only recently started being used as a name.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:10 am
MommyZ wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

I would think it means a cutesy Modern Hebrew word-name I.e. a word used as a name that has only recently started being used as a name.

Phew! I'm safe! My kids are Logan and Cody. There are no more of those here LOL.

MommyZ

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:11 am
saw50st8 wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

Phew! I'm safe! My kids are Logan and Cody. There are no more of those here LOL.

LOL.

Mine are Leora, Avi and David Smile
Avi is short for Avigdor

saw50st8

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:19 am
MommyZ wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

LOL.

Avi is short for Avigdor

Very unusual LOL. Although, all really nice names.

MommyZ

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:21 am
saw50st8 wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
MommyZ wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:

LOL.

Avi is short for Avigdor

Very unusual LOL. Although, all really nice names.

Leora is a little bit unusual but not very. Bracha is common. I was due Chanukah and it's a traditional name given to girls born on Chanukah. Shmuel Avigdor and Samuel Alexander are fairly common as individual names as are Dovid Moshe and David Michael.

elf123

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:21 am
As a disclaimer, just b/c I am listing these as "Teaneck-y" names, that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with them, or that they are exclusively popular in Teaneck:
(not necessarily listed in order of overuse popularity)
Ma'ayan
Eliana
Anael (not sure of spelling, this is a new one)
Maytal
Adira/Ashira as mentioned previously
Ayelet
Ayala
Shprintza Gnendel
(okay, that last one was just to see if you were paying attention! Wink )

MommyZ

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:23 am
elf123 wrote:
As a disclaimer, just b/c I am listing these as "Teaneck-y" names, that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with them, or that they are exclusively popular in Teaneck:
(not necessarily listed in order of overuse popularity)
Ma'ayan
Eliana
Anael (not sure of spelling, this is a new one)
Maytal
Adira/Ashira as mentioned previously
Ayelet
Ayala
Shprintza Gnendel
(okay, that last one was just to see if you were paying attention! Wink )

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 12:07 pm
A lot of those "teanecky" names have been around in the American MO community for a long time....but there certainly are naming trends. I will admit that all 3 of my girls have those kinds of names and I grew up MO and DH is Israeli. He thinks he is giving his kids Israeli names!

When I was growing up Elana and Shira were very popular.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 3:10 pm
Interesting that these modern popular-y names nearly all have H's name in them. We have sibs like that (live in Israel). Whenever we are waiting to hear the name we know one thing...I will have never heard of it before and it will have H's name in it. So far I am 3 for 3.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names