Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Hallel Odelia
Previous  1  2  3  4

Hallel Odelia
Beautiful!  
 37%  [ 20 ]
Awful!  
 62%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 54

Shuly

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 12:30 pm
elf123 wrote:
As a disclaimer, just b/c I am listing these as "Teaneck-y" names, that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with them, or that they are exclusively popular in Teaneck:
(not necessarily listed in order of overuse popularity)
Ma'ayan
Eliana
Anael (not sure of spelling, this is a new one)
Maytal
Adira/Ashira as mentioned previously
Ayelet
Ayala
Shprintza Gnendel
(okay, that last one was just to see if you were paying attention! Wink )

I find that these "Teanecky" names start out as really original, modern and "Israeli" sounding, then they get overused in those circles and eventually filter to the yeshivish circles where they are not considered so modern anymore, but are still considered very pretty and a little different (ex. Talya, Aliza, Elana, Shira).

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 12:34 pm
OMG, did I coin a new term: " Teanecky names?"
I guess we don't need a definition, since people here seem to know what I am talking about. Very Happy

Zus

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 1:10 pm
Oh I definitely know what you're talking about!

ora_43

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 2:03 pm
I asked a couple people and they think of Hallel as more of a boy's name. Although it could be used for a girl.

Halleli and Tehila are similar meanings but definitely feminine.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 2:10 pm
Tamiri wrote:
OMG, did I coin a new term: " Teanecky names?"
I guess we don't need a definition, since people here seem to know what I am talking about. Very Happy
Tamiri, I will tell you that I grew up in teaneck and I still cant get what you are talking about. maybe its the people who are having kids now that know what you are talking about Smile

and the only ashira that I know is south african now in israel (about 1.5 years old Smile ) I dont know any from teaneck Wink

londoner

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 2:53 pm
It's better than Areshet for a girl born on Rosh Hashana but that's about all I can say in its favour. My taste is rather more traditional - each to their own.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 3:24 pm
londoner wrote:
It's better than Areshet for a girl born on Rosh Hashana but that's about all I can say in its favour. My taste is rather more traditional - each to their own.

How about Hoshana for a girl born on Sukkos?

shalhevet

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 3:58 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
londoner wrote:

How about Hoshana for a girl born on Sukkos?

I have a dd born motzai YK, so I did think of Kappara.... Wink .

Last edited by shalhevet on Sun, Sep 05 2010, 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 5:13 pm
Why Teaneck? I'll bet there are tons of kids with these types of names all over the world. LOL

Someone whose name was talya told me she was one of a whole bunch of talya's in her M.O school so I agree these names are overused.

I think it is because certain people from certain communities (not just teaneck!) like to give their kids names that are hebrew but not difficult to pronounce (that lets out any ch sounds). basically you are left with names like Avi, David, josh, talia, Ariella etc etc.

I happen to like those sorts of names. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving your kid a name that is common. One of my dd's has a name that is not only extremely common among frum people, espeically lubavitchers, it is also extremely common among non Jews. So what?

As long as YOU like the name and it fits your kid, and it is not extremely odd, go ahead. Who cares if Zus or anyone else dislikes the name Ashira? She is not bringing up the child, you are. I also dislike certain names* and would probably not use them, but other people can.

*ruchama for example.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 7:13 pm
Hallel is the best name ever -- it's my son's name! (I have never lived in or even visited Teaneck.)

My son is in his 20's, but of the other Hallels I have heard of, nearly all are little girls, mostly in Israel. As far I know DS has never been teased about his name, or at least he has never complained about it.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names