Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Homemade potato knishes without puff pastry dough

twinkle

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:39 pm
Does anyone have a good recipe for homemade potato knishes with homemade dough not puff pastry dough. Thank you so much.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 3:47 pm
You can really use any dough, even your challah dough. Make a recipe of mashed potatoes to put inside.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 6:39 pm
Classic Potato Knish - Spice and Spirit

All Purpose Crust:

2 cups flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup apple juice
1 egg, beaten, for glaze

Potato Filling:

6 medium potatoes
1/4 cup oil
2 large onions, diced
3 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp pepper
2 eggs, beaten

Crust: In a large bowl sift flour with baking powder and salt. Cut margarine in with pastry blender or fingertips until dough is the consistency of course crumbs. Add 1/2 cup of apple juice and mix. Add the rest of the apple juice, 1 Tbsp at a time, until dough can be gathered into a ball. Knead 1 minute. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Potato Filling: Boil unpeeled potatoes in 4-qt pot in salted water. Cook until tender. While still warm, peel and mash. Heat oil in a 7-inch skillet and saute onions until golden and soft. Add onions to mashed potatoes. Add seasonings and beaten egg.

Preheat oven to 350.

To Assemble: Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 10 x 14 inch rectangle.

Knish Roll: Place half of the filling 1-inch from edge in a 3x12-inch strip.
Roll filled side over (two times) like a jelly roll and tuck ends under. Carefully place on greased cookie sheet. Brush glaze over roll and slice through the crust at 2"inch intervals. Repeat with second half of dough and filling.

Individual Knishes: With a sharp knife cut six 5x4-inch rectangles. Place filling in center of each small rectangle.
Fold one half pver other half. Press to seal sides. Place on greased baking sheet and brush with glaze. Repeat with second half of dough.

Glaze each loaf with beaten egg.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden for rolls, and 20 to 35 minutes for individual knishes.

I'm really tired, but I've been looking at this post all this time and no one has posted yet, so here I am typing. Smile

twinkle

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 7:47 pm
Thanks RA mom I can always rely on you for a good recipe. Did you ever try this? Have a good shabbos

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 7:54 pm
I made the one from spice and spirit. It came out good, but it would have been better if I didn't forget the salt Confused Rolling Eyes .

im here!

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 8:02 pm
Elegant Doughless Potato Knishes:

4 potatoes
1 onion
2 eggs
1/4 c. oil
1 c. flour
1 oz. margarine
1/2 Tbsp. salt
drop of red pepper

Cook potatoes & mash.
Saute onion & mix 1/2 of onions with mashed potatoes, eggs & oil. Mix flour, margarine, salt & pepper. Combine with potato mixture.
Scoop mixture & place in baking pan. Brush with eggs. Make a ditch in the center & fill with ketchup & the remaining sauteed onion. sprinkle sesame seeds.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 9:56 pm
twinkle wrote:
Thanks RA mom I can always rely on you for a good recipe. Did you ever try this? Have a good shabbos
I didn't. But I've heard it's good. See a review to the Spice & Spirit recipe here
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....ishes

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

flowerpower

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:24 pm
I made doughless knishes. They came out good.

mammele26

Post Thu, Sep 02 2010, 10:37 pm
I have a delicious recipe for homemade potato knishes. I've made it a couple of times. I LOVE it. I don't know if you will like them, but it's not such a big recipe, so you might want to try it:

Dough: (I make it by hand)
1 stick margarine
3 cups flour
dash salt
1 cup water

Filling:
31/2-4 pounds potatoes (about 7-8 big potatoes) cooked with the skin
fried onions
1 egg yolk
salt and white pepper to taste

Roll out the dough in rectangular shape (you get about 4 long rows of knishes). Fill with potato filling. Smear egg on top. I like to sprinkle with sesame seeds too. Make slits where you'll want to cut the knishes. Bake 375 f for 1 hour. Any questions, please ask...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 11:11 am
(No margarine recipe Smile)

Knish Dough:
1 C cooked mashed potatoes
1/4 C oil
1 tsp salt
~> Mix until fully smooth
3 C flour w/
1 tsp baking powder
~>Mix and make a well and add in
1/2 C. cold water

Knead until smooth, and let sit for 1/2 hour covered on a floured surface/bowl.

Potato Filling:
1/2 C. diced onion
~>Sautee in oil and mix with
1 1/2 C mashed potatoes (can use instant)
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper or to taste

To make logs -- divide in 1/4s, and roll each section to 11x6, fill, roll up, and bake like that -- slicing after cooking.
I never had hatzlacha like that (gets too crispy on bottom), so I make individual ones by taking a bit of dough, rolling it out, putting a dollop of potato mixture, and folding it.
Put on greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet seam side down, and bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Can wash with egg, sesame seeds, etc.

Mushroom Sauce:
1-2 onions, chopped, sauteed in oil in sauce pan
~> Add
1/2 C water, or more as needed
~>Heat and add (no need to strain)
1 15-16 ounce can of mushrooms
3 T cornstarch (I use potato starch), diluted in 3 T water -- or more as needed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 or 2 T any soup mix to taste
Optional: little wine, honey, gravy to taste
~>Cook until bubbly, while stirring to make sure it doesn't stick to bottom of pot. Texture should be slightly thick, but thin enough to pour when hot -- not too runny. Add a little water if too thick; add a little of cornstarch mixture if thin.
When right consistency, take off of fire.

okeydocke

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 4:51 pm
there is a fantastic recepie in Nitra first cook book,(red)if you have it, I've been doing it for years and its a hit, the dough has some cooked pot. in them, if you need and dont have the cook book, ill sit and type it up, so far im lazy...

twinkle

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 6:14 pm
thanks everyone, now the hard part is to decide which one to make. I hope to do it on sunday or monday so I have untill then to decide. have a good shabbos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus