Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
My son comes home with bite marks!

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:14 pm
I don't know what to do. My 21 month old just started a merry go round (or round robin) whatever you like to call it. And there's one boy his age that bites and scratches him. What should I do? I really wanted my son in the playgroup so that I can have a little break, and I want him to learn to socialize with kids his age and even start learning routines and stuff.
But he's the only one that is getting hurt. This one boy just doesn't like him.
the mother says it's because my son is the youngest in babysitting, most of the others are already 2 yrs old or closer to 2 yrs old.

does anyone have any suggestions, Did anyone ever have a kid who came home with boo boos from other kids. What did you do?

prettyone

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:19 pm
isnt there someone watching the kids? if she cant stop your son from getting bullied then shes not a very good babysitter. I would pull him out. your poor baby doesnt need to be scratched and bitten. put him in another daycare with younger kids

Kayza

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 1:54 pm
There is NO acceptable excuse for any parent in charge of the children to allow a child to bite your child. You need to tell whoever it is that you don't care why the other children don't like him, hitting and biting are NOT acceptable.

If this happens you must pull him out immediately. Sorry to sound so harsh, but sending a toddler into a situation where he is likely to be hit or bitten is simply abusive. I understand that you need the break - the solution is not to ignore your child's most basic needs, but to find a different playgroup for him.

By the way, if you want your child to learn anything useful about socializing, this is NOT the place for him - what do you think he is learning when he gets bitten and nothing effective is done about it?

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 5:11 pm
so 2 out of 4 days he came home hurt. The first day he had two big bite marks, teh 2nd day nothing the third day he had scratch marks on his nose and a bite mark on his back.
the morah says that she says 'no' to the boy and takes him away and gives him a time out.

Will the boy grow out of this?

The problem with taking him out is the other day care is really expensive and I feel
like I made a commitment to this one. But if it doesn't stop soon I will consider backing out.

prettyone

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 5:26 pm
Mommy F. wrote:
so 2 out of 4 days he came home hurt. The first day he had two big bite marks, teh 2nd day nothing the third day he had scratch marks on his nose and a bite mark on his back.
the morah says that she says 'no' to the boy and takes him away and gives him a time out.

Will the boy grow out of this?

The problem with taking him out is the other day care is really expensive and I feel
like I made a commitment to this one. But if it doesn't stop soon I will consider backing out.

good lord lady, your worried about commitment to the playgroup? what about their commitment to you to keep your child safe and happy?what about your commitment to your child to protect him? your really willing to let your child be abused because its uncomfortable to say your pulling out? or because of money? or because you need a break?

you shouldnt be considering taking your child out- you should have taken him out already.

and it doesnt matter if the other boy will eventually grow out of it. your son doesnt need to be his guinea pig.

I dont mean to attack you but your excuses for keeping him there are flawed. he's just a baby

Mommy F.

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 5:42 pm
thanks for all your advice.
Just to clarify the round robin that we have is with 5 mothers and each day of the week another mother watches the five kids. So we each get 4 mornings free and then watch 5 kids once a week.
so it's not just pulling out of a daycare or nursery that I would do in a second. It's letting down the 5 mothers and leaving them without a place for their 5 kids one day a week.

faigie

Post Fri, Sep 03 2010, 6:33 pm
if you know which kid is doing the biting, that mom has to pull out till her kid is muzzled.

prettyone

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 9:56 pm
your baby comes before all the round robins in the world

Yocheved84

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 9:59 pm
faigie wrote:
if you know which kid is doing the biting, that mom has to pull out till her kid is muzzled.

well said!

Kayza

Post Sat, Sep 04 2010, 11:25 pm
Mommy F. wrote:
thanks for all your advice.
Just to clarify the round robin that we have is with 5 mothers and each day of the week another mother watches the five kids. So we each get 4 mornings free and then watch 5 kids once a week.
so it's not just pulling out of a daycare or nursery that I would do in a second. It's letting down the 5 mothers and leaving them without a place for their 5 kids one day a week.

That's just too bad. Your commitment to your child comes first. It's not like what he is experiencing is a minor inconvenience. He is being ABUSED and 2 of the 4 other mothers are unable or unwilling to put a definitive end to the problem.

Either you get a firm and realistic commitment that this stops NOW or you pull your child NOW. Commitments are two way - and part of the deal is a SAFE environment for your child, which you are NOT getting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics