Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cut my spending
1  2  Next

momofgirls

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:46 pm
Does anyone have any good tips on how to Spend less or save money?

yoyosma

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:54 pm
It depends in what context.
Do you brown bag your lunch or buy it? What about individual snacks or soda from vending machines? Are you the type who must have their Starbucks? Those are things you can control.
Do you clip coupons? What about buying generic brands?
Making sure to only buy items/clothing on sale is good. Look at store circulars and shop specials.
Walk a bit more to save gas. Wash your sheitel yourself. Dont buy bagged lettuce, buy the whole heads.

I am not sure in what areas you are looking to save, but for me, its mostly food. I dont mall shop like mad or use my credit cards or drive around a lot. For me its saving on things like dinners out and cheaper food items.

chen

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 8:02 am
go to the public library and take out a book called the Tightwad Gazette. Plenty of other excellent books on managing finances and spending less in the "how-to" section.
go online to The Dollar Stretcher at http://www.stretcher.com/menu/first.cfm

If you get any unexpected $ like a BD gift, refund, rebate, or bonus--bank it immediately. If you or dh gets a raise at work, take your additional take-home pay and bank it immediately. continue to live as if you had not gotten the raise.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:05 am
Chen, I just threw out years of that magazine!!!!!!!!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:13 am
First thing to do is make a budget so you can see where you are spending the most money. The easiest way we save money is we rarely ever eat out. You can save a lot of money by not going to restaurants.

Only buy fruits and vegetables that are in season and on sale. If want what isn't on sale, try to go without it. Instead of buying boneless chicken breasts, buy boneless chicken thighs, stuff like that.

You don't even know how much money you save when you save on the little things. It enabled us to take a second vacation this year. Very Happy

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:20 am
Some of the Tightwad gazette topics that I found most useful are things like, take good care of your teeth because they are so expensive. We have used the dental school to save money on dental work. The author of those books also was big on managing the small things that added up, for example reusing foil, lunch bags, etc. For example, instead of buying storage containers, tovel some jars and lids and use those- you already paid for them. Don't pour out half a bottle of shampoo or lather and rinse twice to wash hair. Be careful about wasting gas by idling the car waiting for the kids to come out of the school building.
She also had a mindset of getting kids used to expecting less. Chicken can be a Shabbos meal but bean soup and whole wheat bread can be a cheaper weekday meal. If children expect meat and chicken for regular supper, your food bill will be higher. Are you buying that overpriced packaged snack food for their snacks at school, or are you making popcorn or cookies yourself?

Imhappy!

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:25 am
yes I agree, you can save money lots of it on small things. shopping in cheaper stores not buying deli stuff like ready salads, cut up fruits. cut on meats I feel a big difference in my budget when I'm careful. good luck.

LisaS

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 10:25 am
While we are on the topic of books I recommend Miserly Moms. I find it to be much more practical than Tightwad Gazette. Tightwad is for people who are naturally frugal and Miserly Moms more helpful for someone who isn't. I bought Miserly Moms on half.com

chen

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:14 pm
SaraG wrote:
Chen, I just threw out years of that magazine!!!!!!!!

She compiled them all into one Manhattan-Yellow-Pages-size volume.

chen

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 1:18 pm
LisaS wrote:
While we are on the topic of books I recommend Miserly Moms.

Yee-HAH! I just put it on reserve at the library, so if none of the 23 people who are ahead of me in queue makes off with it, I should get it some time in the fall. Thanks!

momofgirls

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 2:17 pm
Thanks for you ideas I will read that book, keep the ideas coming. I can use any.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 3:22 pm
Any tips for someone who is more frugal than her husband? I don't feel that we need the best quality toilet paper, tissues, certain expensive snacks etc. But since we are not in debt, I don't want to make a big issue of it.

lucky

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
Any tips for someone who is more frugal than her husband? I don't feel that we need the best quality toilet paper, tissues, certain expensive snacks etc. But since we are not in debt, I don't want to make a big issue of it.

Your shalom bayis is worth more than anything.

Did your husband grow up with expensive stuff?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 3:48 pm
lucky wrote:

Your shalom bayis is worth more than anything.

Did your husband grow up with expensive stuff?

He actually grew up with much less money than I did, but I am more frugal by nature. Different families spend their money on different things. My mother was very frugal with paper goods and my mil is the opposite. Also, some people, husband included, don't believe that the small things make such a difference in the long run.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 3:58 pm
Quote:
Different families spend their money on different things.

My MIL rewashes foam coffee cups, but uses papertowels and silver paper like crazy. She will wait for a sale to buy anything, But ends up spending more than if she would buy it when needed.

At my parents house, we didn't use papertowels, only napkins because it was cheaper Confused We never had melons or pinapple (they were considered too expensive,) but we had expensive meat even on weekdays.

lucky

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 4:05 pm
When I got married, my husbands attitude was 'if you need it you buy it'. he never knew about comparing prices,
I still do most of the shopping 'cause I can stretch the dollar real thin'. LOL

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 4:34 pm
Keep a tally and show him how much money you save when buying not the most expensive stuff. It adds up very fast!

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 7:11 pm
That might work, but he still might not care (especially if BH you're not in debt). Determine if the pennies, quarters, even dollars are worth your shalom bayis.

momofgirls

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 8:14 pm
you dh is the kind if you need it buy it, money or not. I try to scrimp & not spend I try to save every penny.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 9:36 pm
the brooklyn public library system does not own a single copy of miserly moms!!
is it that good that I should buy or get via interlibrary loans??
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics