Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
A question for both teachers and parents of students

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 9:45 pm
I'm making my beginning of year calls to my fifth grade girls' parents. I think that 5/6 o'clock is dinner time; too early to call to parents. DH comes home at 7:30, so I could only start making calls at 8:30. The question is, how late is too late? I like to get as many calls done a night, but must I stop?

Teachers; what time do you generally make calls to parents? What time would you consider too late?

Parents: What time do you generally get called about your children? What time would you consider to be too late?

amother

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 9:47 pm
amother wrote:
I like to get as many calls done a night, but must I stop?

Sorry, I meant: When must I stop?

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 9:59 pm
As a parent, I would think that until 10:00 should be good to call.

Rodent

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:15 pm
I don't think people should call after 9pm unless they're close family with specific knowledge that it is ok.

ETA - I say that as a teacher, a parent and just a human being in general....

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:28 pm
In NYC till 10 PM.

bubby

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:40 pm
Not past 9 PM. Even in NY!

Annie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:44 pm
as a former 6th grade teacher and a mom of a now-6th grader, I think 9:30 is the stop time. Anything after that I'd think was strange even though I'd be awake.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:44 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
As a parent, I would think that until 10:00 should be good to call.

As a person/teacher I agree to this one I dont call out after 10 to anyone unless theres a specific reason for me to do so.

ididit

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 11:10 pm
been living as a mother of school-age children for 20 in NYC and I've never gone to bed before midnight. so getting late calls is okay with me. having grown up "out of town" I realize that calls after 10pm are usually not polite, so I try to call before 9:30pm. however, I do realize that teachers also have "a life" and sometimes making calls before their own children are settled for the night is difficult, so they may have to call later rather than earlier.
a big BuT here: I cannot stand calls made during dinner time, so I would rather get a teacher call late at night when I can concentrate on the discussion....

bubby

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 11:20 pm
I just want to add...parents, don't call your child's teacher at home. It's extremely unfair; she needs to be with her family after school is over. If a parent needs to speak with a teacher, leave a message in school. Anything else is rude & intrusive!

(Hope that makes you feel better, DD!)

bonny

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 11:25 pm
As a teacher, I welcome parents phone calls but I only allow parents to call me between the hours of 9:00 and 10:30. If a parent calls earlier, I am just not available. It is then that my kids are settled and my husband is out learning and praying.

As a mother, I would say 10:00.

Good luck and have a wonderful year!

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 12:01 am
I never call someone after 9:00 pm, unless they're a good friend and I know they're regularly up that late. Me? I never go to bed before 1:00 a.m. Smile

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:48 am
My kids school usually has a sign-up sheet, so both parents and teachers can coordinate the suitable time.

Simple1

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 9:55 am
bubby wrote:
I just want to add...parents, don't call your child's teacher at home. It's extremely unfair; she needs to be with her family after school is over. If a parent needs to speak with a teacher, leave a message in school. Anything else is rude & intrusive!

(Hope that makes you feel better, DD!)

There are teachers who do leave their home # and encourage you to call at home. One teacher even said she preferred you call directly at home because it takes to long until she gets the message from the school office. Not that I'm the type that takes advanatage of this. I rarely if ever call a teacher.

OP - I think till 9:30 or 10:00 is safe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics