Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Wrote poem abt my challenging child
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:22 pm
Do you think I can get this published? please critique. I am scared to post this in fear that someone would steal it, it means so much to me.. these words are from my heart.. but yet I want to share it...

My child was a stranger till strangers introduced us.
He was my firstborn, my long awaited child.
He cried since the moment he was born. Cried and cried non stop.
I waited for that motherly- warm bond to form, but it didn’t.
I would cry along with him, from sheer exhaustion.
And I waited some more- to feel that pure love overflow.
I used to ask “ when- when will I enjoy my child?”
They said wait- it takes time.
And then he finally started interacting with us.
And he was so very cute.
I just never realized just how cute he was.
He still was always the child who made me miserable.
He was supposed to be the baby who made me into a mother,
But instead, he was the baby who turned me into a monster.
I used to yell at him to stop crying.
I used to yell at him to stop biting and hitting.
I yelled and yelled, I think I was inexperienced, I wanted my kids to be perfect.
How could MY kid be the one who made problems??
Over the years, he BH grew, and my love started growing with him.
He is a smart, inquisitive child.
But when people would tell me “boy is he cute”
I would be shocked and say “ really?”
When people would comment on his adorable chein
I would say thanks.
I would then look at him again.
And I would tell them- he may look like a little angel- but he sure is a boy, a real boy.
But over the years, I have gone thru some hard times with him,
He tested me to no end.
The more he tested me, the more I realized-
Hashem has really entrusted me with the cutest little boy,
Not only is my son testing me, but so is Hashem.
This little boy makes me work on my patience, and my anger.
Things that are so very hard for me.
But it is worth it in the end.
Because now I do not need others to tell me how cute he is.
Now I tell them myself.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:31 pm
So sweet. Wow. Definately could get published. I felt like I was reading an artticle in the Binah. Good luck and keep on loving him! Btw it gave me the chills when I read it.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 7:47 pm
thanks so much for responding. you really are sweet!

sneakermom

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 8:31 pm
So poignant and honest! Loved it and was able to feel along with it as I read it.

It is so difficult when the demanding baby is a first child. When the mother is just falling into that new role and doesn't yet quite know what to make of it. The fear level is high and the mother's expectations can be shattered. Especially when perhaps her conception of how a little baby should be or behave is a bit unrealistic....or projections of her own fears and demands.

But in the end....love does prevail....and that is the beauty of your poem. Very touching.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:37 am
thanks so much!!!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 12:48 am
Beautiful.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Dec 31 2015, 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:12 am
Thumbs Up thanks for writing it! its very true. especially like other mothers say if your first is a hard child,

mammele26

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 2:08 am
I enjoyed your poem very much. Thanks for posting it! I would be very happy to see such touching, honest, encouraging poems in magazines.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 1:17 pm
I am so so so happy you all liked it.
I would like to send it into Binah. Gonna try to figure out how to do that..
Thanks again.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 7:06 pm
OP here.
Does anyone know where I can find the bina email for submissions?
TY

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:09 pm
Are you open to some editing? It's a very emotional piece, but can use some (light) editing to make it more powerful.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 10:33 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Are you open to some editing? It's a very emotional piece, but can use some (light) editing to make it more powerful.

I am sure it can use some editing.. this came out pouring from me, so I didn't really tweak it.. it's raw..

mc'cutie

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 11:21 pm
very touching! beautiful!!

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:

I am sure it can use some editing.. this came out pouring from me, so I didn't really tweak it.. it's raw..

I understand.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 4:51 pm
You make some very meaningful and touching points that really hit the mark. I'd love to see this published (or just know that it was). I would take up any offers of tweaking it a little so that it's definitely accepted. Not saying that I could do better myself - I think you did a great job, and I found your poem to be an important one.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 5:57 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
You make some very meaningful and touching points that really hit the mark. I'd love to see this published (or just know that it was). I would take up any offers of tweaking it a little so that it's definitely accepted. Not saying that I could do better myself - I think you did a great job, and I found your poem to be an important one.

That's why I asked, not to hurt the OP, but to make it more acceptable for a magazine's level.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 7:10 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

That's why I asked, not to hurt the OP, but to make it more acceptable for a magazine's level.

Of course - that was clear to me. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 7:44 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

OP here.
If I send it in, un-edited, do you think it won't be accepted for the fact that it's raw?
Or should I get it edited so that I know it has a bigger chance of getting published?
life's great, I really appreciate the suggestion, thanks.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

OP here.
If I send it in, un-edited, do you think it won't be accepted for the fact that it's raw?
Or should I get it edited so that I know it has a bigger chance of getting published?

IMO, get it edited as much as possible. They don't do editing on a raw article methinks.

Do you want me to post here (and have others give input as well) or would you rather PM/email me and I send you the suggestions?

amother

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 8:15 pm
[quote="life'sgreat"]
amother wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

OP here.

IMO, get it edited as much as possible. They don't do editing on a raw article methinks.

Do you want me to post here (and have others give input as well) or would you rather PM/email me and I send you the suggestions?[/quote

I guess I will PM u, thanks. Are you in the editing field?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics