Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Yoga - where it comes from, so can we do it?

SingALong

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 9:54 pm
I recently did a project in school on pediatric yoga/ yoga for kids. I loved everything about it and I even tried it out with my kids, they loved it too. research shows various benefits like improved flexibility, strength, coordination, posture, etc. also helps decrease stress, improves sleep patterns, and other body systems. I also think some of the kiddy yoga methods are so cute like animal postures and stuff.

however, yoga does originate from Hinduism and Buddhism, although I'm sure the yoga practiced now in the West is vastly different to what yoga originally is. therefore,my question is, if yoga is kind of an offshoot practice of avoda zara? I looked for topics but haven't found any that discussed this so I'm curious to hear form people if this issue has been discussed, and what people think. is this a shaila that I would need to ask?
or its just a form of exercise?

mamacita

Post Tue, Sep 14 2010, 11:49 pm
Rabbi Gutman Lock holds that yoga cannot be kosher because it is inherently anti-Torah.

http://mysticalpaths.blogspot.......html

http://mysticalpaths.blogspot.......html

He has experience from his LBF (life before frumness) which would make him an expert on the topic. He is a highly respected member of the community where we lived and not just some fringe chumra-chaser. I've personally switched from yoga to pilates and ballet stretching.

RachelB

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 1:45 am
Agreed. I do Pilates as well for that reason.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 5:22 am
There is "kosher yoga" in Israel.

Some rabbanim will allow yoga on a "simply gym" level, without the philosophy.

Sherri

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 6:32 am
I once did ask this shaila- but I can't remember the answer! Smile (It wasn't relevant anyway for another reason.) I suggest that you ask your family Rav.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 15 2010, 11:30 am
First of all, you hve to find a rov who knows what yoga is. It took me quite a while.

Some will say for exercise that anything is aceptble. Others will say to avoid cetain poses.

louche

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 12:09 pm
Ask your rav. I was told that doing the physical exercises for exercise alone is ok, so long as you don't do the chanting and the philosophical/symbolic stuff.

bluebird

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 1:21 pm
I actually struggle with this one.

On the one hand, I know that I am not doing yoga as a form of worship of anything but my muscles to stretch. On the other, it is part of another culture's religion, and one which most would call avodah zara.

Funny, I actually struggle with whether or not it's right for the Western world to culturally appropriate aspects of other cultures and religions like this and turn them into something else. That's what humans do and that's how cultures change and evolve, but I do wonder what Hindus think of Western yoga. Do they look at it the same way that we look at the Kabbalah Center and Madonna's red bendele, for example?

louche

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 1:40 pm
bluebird wrote:
I do wonder what Hindus think of Western yoga. Do they look at it the same way that we look at the Kabbalah Center and Madonna's red bendele, for example?

I wouldn't be surprised. They certainly resent Westerners buying their prayer scarves--fabric upon which prayers are printed, and which "count" as prayers when they flutter in the breeze--to use as fashion accessories or as home decor. As would we resent and be horrified if some lady used a tallis as a shawl, wall hanging or afghan.

However, there are some forms of yoga that are intended mainly for exercise and health and are relatively if not entirely free of religious value.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:37 pm
louche wrote:
bluebird wrote:
I do wonder what Hindus think of Western yoga. Do they look at it the same way that we look at the Kabbalah Center and Madonna's red bendele, for example?

I wouldn't be surprised. They certainly resent Westerners buying their prayer scarves--fabric upon which prayers are printed, and which "count" as prayers when they flutter in the breeze--to use as fashion accessories or as home decor. As would we resent and be horrified if some lady used a tallis as a shawl, wall hanging or afghan.

However, there are some forms of yoga that are intended mainly for exercise and health and are relatively if not entirely free of religious value.

Side point here but interesting you say they resent it. There's such an attitude here in the west of nibbling from all religions, with no absolutes, just tasting a bit here and there. (I didn't read or see Eat Pray Love but have read a few interviews with Elizabeth Gilbert. Sounds like some sort of lite strolling dinner.) Wonder how many religions, etc. really do resent it, agree with the philosophy, just like the money, etc.

nylon

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:39 pm
A lot of Western yoga has been completely watered down and changed anyway. You really need to know exactly what they're doing in the class. The exercises aren't assur in and of themselves, but some of what goes with it might be.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:23 pm
Most exercise is a yeridah anyway. If you're not doing yoga, you might be walking on a treadmill to Beyonce, or some such.

Peanut2

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 8:42 pm
I was told that it's wrong to do yoga as a "spiritual practice", with chanting, reading about it, and all that.
To do it for exercise without all the other is fine.

When you read descriptions of yoga studios you can easily determine which kind of place it is.

drygrove2

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 7:42 pm
I wish I had seen this question when it was asked on this forum. Having researched yoga extensively, I would like to add that it's roots and origin are unclear. There is documentation that it came from India and theories recently that it is Swedish. However, many Rabbonim who are knowledgeable on this topic believe that it is permissible for our good health to use it as long as there is no obvious idol worship or chanting while moving in and out of the poses. My Rav told me that it is permissible for ME to be both a yoga student and teacher. You stated in your question that "research shows various benefits like improved flexibility, strength, coordination, posture, etc. also helps decrease stress, improves sleep patterns, and other body systems." You really answered it. It's an obvious answer, use the yoga for your good health and don't pray while you're doing it. We B"H have a deep fear of engaging in idol worship. On the flip side, we don't naturally question is it an aveira to eat in a gluttonous manner at a Shabbos Kiddish just before indulging in a huge lunch and right afterward sleep on Shabbos afternoon. That behavior is a disaster waiting to happen. I wonder if it's not a huge aveira to do this Shabbos after Shabbos but many frum people do and many are frighteningly overweight. We all know the statistics. The world was given to us to use to better serve Hashem. A person in good health, is using these gifts to keep themselves healthy and in turn fulfill their purpose. The trick here is to find the right yoga class (a good choice is not the one with the Buddah statue in front) and use the learned yoga skills to have the healthiest body and mind possible.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 7:59 pm
Someone wanted to advertise yoga classes in our local frum directory. They are very careful about what they allow in. They were referred to a certain local Rav (well known in the community but not one if its main poskim) who knows a lot about this, and this Rav (you may PM me for his name if you're interested) told them they could not allow an ad for yoga of any sort.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics