Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Borat- for real!!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:22 pm
I am currently expecting my first (bili ayin hora). dont know what it is, my husband and I are HUGE fans of the Borat movie. we are thinking of using Borat as an english name if its a boy. my parents and in laws are not to thrilled to hear this but we feel this is our decision.... any thoughts?

rb

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:25 pm
Very niice! High five! (no, seriously, sounds ridiculous)

mimivan

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:28 pm
Isn't Borat an anti-Semite?
If you like the movie so much, name the baby after Sacha Baron Cohen...(wait..he's living and not sephardic..so maybe not)

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:33 pm
rb wrote:
Very niice! High five! (no, seriously, sounds ridiculous)

DARN. You stole my response.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:33 pm
I totally support this, as do my five boys--Mickey, Donald, Huey, Duey, and Louie.

Just kidding Smile Seriously, though, I think your child will get teased for having that name. Sad Maybe you can do it as a middle name?

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:36 pm
Why dont you call him Sacha Ali Borat?

morah

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:43 pm
Your opinion? Yes. But it is your child who will have to live with the name without any choice in the matter. To set your child up for a lifetime of teasing over your perception of cute or funny is really selfish IMHO. I'd like to name my first kid Seven, a la Seinfeld, but I would NEVER actually do that.

And one more thing- even though it would be the English name and you're planning on mainly using the Hebrew name- it's STILL a bad idea. Presumably, the reason you're giving an English name is so that he'll have something to use later on in the professional world. Since the English name WILL presumably be getting some use at some point, you should not saddle him with something that will make him the butt of water cooler jokes in the office.

smilingmom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:47 pm
I like "Baruch Osher Refael Avraham Tal"
you can call him Borat for short.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:56 pm
morah wrote:
Your opinion? Yes. But it is your child who will have to live with the name without any choice in the matter. To set your child up for a lifetime of teasing over your perception of cute or funny is really selfish IMHO. I'd like to name my first kid Seven, a la Seinfeld, but I would NEVER actually do that.

And one more thing- even though it would be the English name and you're planning on mainly using the Hebrew name- it's STILL a bad idea. Presumably, the reason you're giving an English name is so that he'll have something to use later on in the professional world. Since the English name WILL presumably be getting some use at some point, you should not saddle him with something that will make him the butt of water cooler jokes in the office.

OMG is that where the name Seven is from? I had a patient in L & D who named her son that & I got the impression that she expected me to get the reference. In my defense, none of my coworkers understood it either.

merelyme

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:01 pm
I believe Rav Moshe has a teshuvah that it's assur to name a child a name that will be made fun of. Whether or not an "English" name falls under that psak, it seems clear that it wouldn't be a good idea.

anon

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:04 pm
morah wrote:

She couldn't have said it more perfectly. I'd like to add that if your child grows up despising you for giving him such a cruel name, it was coming. We all love our children and want them to be happy. So I will assume that when you contemplate this name, you have no idea that giving such a name is setting up your child for a lifetime of pain. You'd be starting him on the wrong foot in life. Or he'll just never use his English name, so hopefully he'll have a hebrew name that he'll feel comfortable using in the workplace.

Point is, when you have children, things are not all about YOUR opinion and YOUR decision. You have a helpless child to consider, who depends on you to take care of him when he can't. If you give a bad name, you've already failed in one department of parenting.

morah

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:18 pm
chaylizi wrote:
morah wrote:

OMG is that where the name Seven is from? I had a patient in L & D who named her son that & I got the impression that she expected me to get the reference. In my defense, none of my coworkers understood it either.

It's from the episode where George Costanza gets into a fight with his fiancee because he wants to name their first child Seven. Then, a pregnant friend hears about it, likes it, and uses the name when she has the baby, and George gets all upset that she "stole" "his" name. During the same episode, George also speculates on the possibility of Soda as a name. But Seven comes out the clear winner- real Seinfeld fans fantasize about naming a kid Seven, but till you said it, I had never heard of anyone actually doing that.

BTW, here's a little something the OP should read. Although this would never happen in the US, I think it's relevant and food for thought re: baby names.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/o.....N.htm

MrsDash

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:19 pm
Wishing you a healthy baby girl! Wink

5S5Sr7z3

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:20 pm
Hey, none of us here can tell you what to do, but you want my opinion?? Your poor child....

devowitz

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:21 pm
Somebody, please tell me this is a joke.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:27 pm
OP here, we're actually planning on using the english name when our child is born (boy or girl) im not really sure why pple are having such strong reactions I can think of worse names that kids are walking around with. also its not for sure the name we're using its just something we're contemplating. tell me honestly is genendy or yentel any better? I know all the decisions my DH and I make will effect our childs future but as long as he has my DH confidence trust me he'll be able to pull anything off!!!!

anon

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
OP here, we're actually planning on using the english name when our child is born (boy or girl) im not really sure why pple are having such strong reactions I can think of worse names that kids are walking around with. also its not for sure the name we're using its just something we're contemplating. tell me honestly is genendy or yentel any better? I know all the decisions my DH and I make will effect our childs future but as long as he has my DH confidence trust me he'll be able to pull anything off!!!!

What's your DH's name? Or better yet, what's YOUR name?

Genendel and Yentel are also horrible, at least in my community. I'm sure there are certain places where it's not so bad. And chances are, in your world, Borat is an even worse name. All that's needed is for ppl to be familiar with the Borat movie and your child is kaput. And just because there are worse names than Borat does NOT mean that Borat is not a horrible name.

Again, I ask, what's your DH's name and what's your name?

chaylizi

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:38 pm
I had a coworker who honestly wanted to name his first kid ESPN. Poor child.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:38 pm
[quote="amother"]OP here, we're actually planning on using the english name when our child is born (boy or girl) im not really sure why pple are having such strong reactions I can think of worse names that kids are walking around with. also its not for sure the name we're using its just something we're contemplating. tell me honestly is genendy or yentel any better? I know all the decisions my DH and I make will effect our childs future but as long as he has my DH confidence trust me he'll be able to pull anything off!!!![/quote

I'll tell you what I think the difference is.

genendy and yentel are probably named after ancestors. I dont know who borat is/ was,(I dont think I have seen that movie) but looks like he isnt real/ is a bad charachter. why give a neshama a name after someone like that?

so its two issues in my mind

also, the names like yenty and genendy are usually in a community where such names are more known and accepted.

am I making sense?

beshaa tova

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:46 pm
OP here. my husband and I both have very common jewish names (like sara, chaya, devorah, chaim, moshe etc) not gona give real names bec I have friends on this website. but we both wish we had names that werent so common. and yes genendy and yentel are common in some communities, in ours its common to use english names.... I hear the whole, name after an ancestor but I also would like to add some new names to our family. its kinda annoying to go to a family simcha and when someone calls out "rivka" have 20 ppls (no joke) turn around bec every1 is named after an ancestor!!!
ps. I know we dont live in hollywood but its very common by stars to give ur kids a different kind of name (apple, brooklyn, bronx) jst a thought....
my DH and I are unique pple with unique tastes and choices and we're very independent!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names