Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Borat- for real!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Atali

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:49 pm
devowitz wrote:
Somebody, please tell me this is a joke.

Agreed.

If you like the name so much, than have your DH change his name to Borat and give the child a normal name.

Could you imagine how much the kid could be teased with a name like that? Also, unless you are MO I could imagine some schools would look down on a kid named after a movie (or at least look down on the parents).

If you are MO then the other kids will likely have heard of the movie and tease your child about it.

tsiggelle

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. my husband and I both have very common jewish names (like sara, chaya, devorah, chaim, moshe etc) not gona give real names bec I have friends on this website. but we both wish we had names that werent so common. and yes genendy and yentel are common in some communities, in ours its common to use english names.... I hear the whole, name after an ancestor but I also would like to add some new names to our family. its kinda annoying to go to a family simcha and when someone calls out "rivka" have 20 ppls (no joke) turn around bec every1 is named after an ancestor!!!
ps. I know we dont live in hollywood but its very common by stars to give ur kids a different kind of name (apple, brooklyn, bronx) jst a thought....
my DH and I are unique pple with unique tastes and choices and we're very independent!

if you dont want to give after an ancestor( and I can understand that), then give a name that has some kedusha or meaning. other than that, I dont think I have anything to add.

yes, its 'the parents' choice' and all that, but think you should think of your child's benefit as well

that said, I wish you beshaa tova and lots of yiddishe nachas

morah

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 4:55 pm
OP- just because your idea is "less worse" than some others, doesn't mean it's right. Also, please don't bank on confidence. Confidence is learned, not hereditary. If your DH is so confident, it's probably because he was one of the cool kids. Your child will likely get teased for such a name, thereby making it more likely that he'll have very little confidence and self-esteem. It's fantastic that you and your DH have a sense of humor- believe me, I appreciate your style- but your child's name is NOT the place to try to be funny.

anon

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:03 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. my husband and I both have very common jewish names (like sara, chaya, devorah, chaim, moshe etc)

I didn't really need to you know your real names. I just wanted to confirm the obvious. That you and DH never had to suffer through a bad name so you're clueless as to its ramifications. Oh, and if you name your kid Borat, you can bank on him NOT having your DH's confidence, and he will therefore do a miserable job of pulling it off.

Please don't take offense at my bluntness. I mean well, as I'm trying to save an innocent soul from unnecessary pain.

By the way, why would a child who is too young to understand the humor of Borat want to (or even be able to) pull off a Borat name? The movie will be completely irrelevant to him, all he'll know is that he's getting teased for it.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:22 pm
OP, it's totally cool to give your child a unique name, but naming after Borat (whom I found hysterical and love--as a ridiculous character) is not a very bright idea. Why not think of another different name that has meaning to both you and your husband.

Also, are you saying that you'd name either a boy or a girl Borat?

Barbara

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 5:28 pm
Well, the only hope is that no one will remember the movie in a few years ....

Otherwise, you have no one to blame but yourself if everyone he meets starts singing *Throw the Jew Down the Well*

jaysmom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:17 pm
I love the name Borat! I think I might name my own baby Borat if it is a boy come to think of it. Pause NOT. Use English names if that is what you want, but Borat? Come on... this is not a purim costume decision we are talking about here this is his name! The name he will have for life. Do you want to make a mockery out of your son?

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:23 pm
OP here.... wow lots of passion here. thanks everyone for ur input and opinions. Atali- I passed on ur suggestion to my DH and if the baby is a girl we may actually change DH's name!.... got what I needed from all you guys thanks so much! gemar chasima tova!

Atali

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 6:39 pm
Glad I could be of assistance Smile

Capitalchick

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:03 pm
It's great that you love the movie and everything, but do you actually think "Borat" is a really nice name? Like, can you picture your heart melting when you scream "BORAT! Come for dinner", off the front porch?

I think that, unfortunately, at this point in time, naming your child Borat would be a bad idea, because no one will be able to get over it!

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:09 pm
My cousin is a pediatrician and she had a 15 year old mother whose name was... Shonda!
As in: "Oy this is a shonda!"

I hope you guys had your littke giggle and are done considering Borat as a name..
Personally I think Fart would be much cooler. (sarcasm intended)

mama-star

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.... wow lots of passion here. thanks everyone for ur input and opinions. Atali- I passed on ur suggestion to my DH and if the baby is a girl we may actually change DH's name!.... got what I needed from all you guys thanks so much! gemar chasima tova!

ok, I smell a troll here...

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 7:24 pm
OP here. just tryin to lighten the mood! I got what I needed!

mama-star wrote:
amother wrote:

ok, I smell a troll here...

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 9:30 pm
Dude, it's Yom Kippur time, not Purim.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 16 2010, 10:00 pm
OP- I understand the idea... I named my baby Nesta on his birth certificate (Bob Marleys middle name)

amother

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 4:45 am
amother wrote:
OP- I understand the idea... I named my baby Nesta on his birth certificate (Bob Marleys middle name)

We named my oldest DD Sharona, I was pregnant with her when the the song "My Sharona" (by the knack) was number one on the charts.

L'havdil, we named our son, Moshe, after R. Moshe.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 4:49 am
Sharona is a Jewish name and sounds normal to me. I know several.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 5:00 am
Ruchel wrote:
Sharona is a Jewish name and sounds normal to me. I know several.

Of course, it is, I was trying to point out that naming our kids after popular culture, is not so unusual, but Borat????

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 5:04 am
I'm not sure what Borat is but from what I read here it's bad.

peanut37

Post Fri, Sep 17 2010, 5:24 am
LOL OP I appreciate your humor in all of this, It's hard to stay sane when you have a bunch of people "yelling" at you about what a horrible person/parent you are.

My suggestion to you is that you can call the kid Borat while your preggers as a cute nickname for your unborn child (I've had crazy nicknames for all my fetuses ) if it sticks after the baby is born thats something else (only as a crazy nickname) but don't actually put it on the birth certificate because its a pain to legally change a child's name if you ever regret it!

Have a happy and healthy new year everyone and I hope you all have a meaningful fast!

O and BTW Bsha'a Tova OP!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names