Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Whipped Cream in a Can

amother

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:57 pm
I just noticed that my whipped cream can says to ask a Rabbi before using on Shabbos or Yom Tov...

My husband is going to ask tomorrow, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come across this before?

TIA!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 11:17 pm
I've noticed that as well....

and while on the topic - how about the foam dispensing soaps... would that go along the same lines regarding the halachic status of using it on shabbos?

nolad?

dlj

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 3:54 am
Yep - look in the Artscroll book, the Shabbas Kitchen. It's Molid because it transforms the liquid in the container into a solid whip.

Was also surprised when I came across it!

naomib1112

Post Fri, Oct 08 2010, 5:26 pm
I asked this exact shaila and was told it was okay. So I use.

INSPIREME

Post Sat, Oct 09 2010, 10:00 pm
I asked, and was told it is not OK - so ask your own LOR.

imabima

Post Sat, Oct 09 2010, 10:07 pm
I think it's different than the hand soap because there is no propellant. I was told foam soap is okay.

chanahlady

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:27 pm
I also heard there's a problem because of the star shape at the top of the dispenser... Who knows.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 3:36 pm
you can DEF make a pie or other confection and decorate it before shabbos, though.

snow_white

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 3:31 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
you can DEF make a pie or other confection and decorate it before shabbos, though.

I found that the pareve "smakin good" whipped cream will deflate and liquify by the time I serve it if I do it before shabbos. (This may be only the whipped cream from the can and not from the frozen container -- but that's what we're discussing here anyways.)

For the record, there are a couple of issues that are discussed and, of course, there's machlokes for most of them -- but here are some basics for those who'd like to understand the issues:

"writing" with the nozzle of the whipped cream can -- according to SSK this is not an issue if you don't want the design.

"molid" (creating a new entity from scratch) -- the Debriciner Rav (quoted in Piskei Hilchos Shabbos by Ephraim Eliezer Padawer) says it's not a problem. The Ribiat (p. 371) says it's assur. Some background into the Ribiat, though: he is often machmir on stuff and presents it as a "gontza velt" matter when it's not necessarily the case. Changing something from liquid to solid is not automatically an issur of nolad -- R. Moshe Feinstein permitted making ice cubes on shabbos, which I think the Ribiat prohibits (as do some others).

To drop a few names (mostly MO) -- Rabbi Michael Broyde says it's muttar, Rabbi Yosef Adler says it's muttar, and a YU Rav in Washington Heights says it's assur (paskens like Ribiat in this case, although not sure if he holds that way re ice cubes . . . ).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen