Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can I change the oven temp on a recipe and cook for longer??

Capitalchick

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 4:13 pm
I have a question...I, unfortunately, cannot turn my oven temp up and down on yom tov because it is a digital one. So I was wondering, if I leave the oven on at 250 for all of yom tov, and a recipe says it should be baked at 350 degrees for 20 mins, could I instead put the casserole in at 250 degrees for, say, 35 or 40 minutes instead? Does that work?

mamaleh

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 4:24 pm
Sorry I can't be more helpful but the answer is "Sometimes". It depends on the recipe and what you want it to do in the oven. Something that needs to rise might be a problem, fish or meat depends on the method and sauce but usually they can work. What kind of casserole are you talking about?

momoffive

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 5:48 pm
I just polled my gourmet cook friends and sisters. Their verdict - yes - but on the things I asked. Such as - spare ribs and minute steaks - supposed to be baked at 350 for 1 1/2 hours, they all say they leave the oven at 225, slide the meat (FROZEN) into the oven at 7 am and it is ready for the seudah. A roast goes in the night before and cooks for 12-15 hours! Don't know how you would convert the casserole time wise, perhaps someone else here can chime in!

reed

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:28 pm
It worked for my chicken on Rosh Hashona. It baked for only a few minutes before I had to lower the oven for Yom Tov. Spent the next few hours on 235. Came out delicious. I think I'll do it again for Sukkos.

interboro2

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:50 pm
Just tried it with potatoe kugel and it came out even better.

reed

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 8:54 pm
interboro2 wrote:
Just tried it with potatoe kugel and it came out even better.

That's how I make my "chulent" in the oven when YT comes out like this. I guess that's the idea of overnight potato kugel!

reed

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:07 pm
I was running low on cake on Simchas Torah, with my oven set at 235. Thinking of you all on this thread, I quickly mixed together a cake batter, and put it into the oven, not knowing how long it would need to bake, or if would even turn out edible. When I came home 1.5 hours later, the house smelled delicious Smile , but the cake wasn't ready. It was ready after almost 3 hours, just in time for dessert! LOL

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:20 pm
In other words, if you get food in the oven in the AM, it's OK for the daytime seudah, but no way would it be ready for the night time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics