Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
ISO budget friendly Yom Tov meals for a large crowd

mommalah

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:22 pm
I'm having my brother and his family (2 adults, 5 kids under 9) and my mil for 2nd days. We are a family of 2 adults and 3 young kids who eat. Any suggestions on how to stretch my limited budget? All ideas and recipes welcome.
Thank You.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:25 pm
homemade challah and baked goods
dips
cucumber salad, cole slaw, radish salad, carrot salad
gefilte fish patties (stretched)
salmon quiche (canned salmon)
classic veggie soup
mushroom barley soup
splitpea soup
apricot baked salami
meatballs
roasted chicken
rice
potato salad
sesame noodles
kugels
apple crumble/pie
cholent

elmos

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:33 pm
I like to stretcch things occasionally by doing theese diff. options with the soup chicken 2 dishes from one soup and than an app. or main

chicken caciatore (n/s how to spell) debone soup chicken mix with sauted onion, pepper, mushroom, zuchini, tomatoes any of theese or other veg you like combine and add sauce and server over rice or pasta

chicken bourekas or pot pie combine frozen mixed veggies the standard blend canned mushrooms (can use other veggies this is what I norm use) chicken shredded and canned mushroom soup to bind place in frozen pie shell and make lattic with puff pastry dough or other shell to make pretty or put in dough squares fold and bake

chicken stir fry or lomein

another thing is side dishes kugels like the mushroom noodle one from here other noodle kugels or you can make a challah kugel spice and spirit usse leftover challah from first days and bread from chol hamoed

soup is a great filler can do diff. ones for each meal

remmber do what your family likes and you can do simple smallermains soups and sides are good fillers

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:37 pm
meatballs
potatoes
pasta dishes
soup

these are cheap dishes.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:54 pm
Rather than pound chicken breasts, when they're semi frozen I slice them thin. What the best recipe I've come up with so far is dipping them into a flour/oi/seasoning batter, then cornflake crumbs and baking. Not the most economical suggested, but goes a lot further than I thought originally.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:09 am
If you like to use ground meat (I have a lot of favorite recipes with it - meatballs, lasagna, sloppy joes, burgers, shepherd pie... I just like all the things you can do with ground meat!) it can be stretched very economically and just as tasty by mixing half-n-half with ground turkey. Plus these dishes tend to be more economical because the meat is not the bulk of it - e.g. meatballs you would serve over pasta or rice so people can get full on the less expensive component.

I also find that when the appetizer/salads/sides are heavier people have less room for the expensive meaty stuff so you can stretch it much further... bring on the potatoes, kugels, etc and send out the meat platter last, people will have less room! Portion control is good for our diets and budgets both :-)

mommalah

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 12:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
homemade challah and baked goods
dips
cucumber salad, cole slaw, radish salad, carrot salad
gefilte fish patties (stretched)
salmon quiche (canned salmon)
classic veggie soup
mushroom barley soup
splitpea soup
apricot baked salami
meatballs
roasted chicken
rice
potato salad
sesame noodles
kugels
apple crumble/pie
cholent

I bake my own challos and cakes.
The salmon quiche sounds great. Would you be able to post a recipe for it?
I will definitely add a soup to each meal. Cucumber salad, potato salad, I will make. What is apricot baked salami?

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 1:39 am
Are you really looking to stretch the food far? Because if you want, you can use ground chicken/turkey instead of ground meat (whichever is cheaper) and stretch it with cooked lentils or beans or breadcrumbs or grated carrots and egg and make meatloaf or meatballs, etc...

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 4:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Rather than pound chicken breasts, when they're semi frozen I slice them thin. What the best recipe I've come up with so far is dipping them into a flour/oi/seasoning batter, then cornflake crumbs and baking. Not the most economical suggested, but goes a lot further than I thought originally.

Yes another thing with snitzles is I cut them small, into "snitzalonim" Not tiny like nuggets, but each snitzel in maybe 3 or 4 pieces (depending on size). I find the chicken goes a LOT further that way.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:10 pm
mommalah wrote:
I bake my own challos and cakes.
The salmon quiche sounds great. Would you be able to post a recipe for it?
I will definitely add a soup to each meal. Cucumber salad, potato salad, I will make. What is apricot baked salami?

From Dining In Again

(original recipe calls for 2 frozen prepared pie crusts that are pricked and then baked at 350 for 10 min.)

Pie Shell

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp shortening or margarine
1/4 cup water
1-1/2 tsp vinegar
1 small egg

In a large bowl mix flour with sugar and salt. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbly. In a small bowl, beat together the water, vinegar and egg. Combine both mixtures and stir with fork until moistened. Divide into 2 potions. Shape each portion into a ball and chill for 30 minutes.
Roll out each on a lightly floured board, place in a 9" pie plate.
Preheat oven to 450. Prick shell with a fork and weigh the bottom with a sheet of wax paper topped with dried beans. Bake 10-15 minutes.

Salmon Quiche

2 medium onions, diced
2 Tbsp oil
1 (15 oz) can PLUS 1 (7 oz) can salmon
1 cup mayonnaise
1-1/2 Tbsp mustard
1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk or parve milk

Preheat oven to 375. While pie crusts bake, saute onions in oil until golden. Set aside.
Drain canned salmon and place in large bowl. Mash well with fork. Add remaining ingredients, mixing well to combine.
Spread onions evenly over both pie crusts. Spoon filling over onions, dividing between 2 pies.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, uncovered.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:18 pm
Apricot Baked Salami

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....alami

I use a 1 lb. salami, and place it into a 2 lb. loaf pan, so that I don't have to keep basting it. I also bake it for much less to avoid burning this way.

1 lb. salami roll
3/4 cup apricot jam
6 Tbsp mayo
3 Tbsp mustard
3 Tbsp honey
1-1/2 tsp rice vinegar (can use regular vinegar)
dash salt

Place apricot jam, mayo, mustard, honey, vinegar and salt into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil.
Place the salami into a 2 lb. loaf pan. Cut slits down the salami every 1/2 inch.
Pour the sauce over the salami. Bake uncovered for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting with pan juices halfway through.
Serve over rice.

You can double the recipe using a 2 lb. salami cut in half and baked in 2 separate pans, or using 2 (1 lb.) salami rolls.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:21 pm
Here's pinktichel's great fish patties:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....filte

e1234

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 2:29 pm
Quote:
Yes another thing with snitzles is I cut them small, into "snitzalonim" Not tiny like nuggets, but each snitzel in maybe 3 or 4 pieces (depending on size). I find the chicken goes a LOT further that way.

you cut b4 or after frying

does it still look nice?

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 3:27 pm
I cut them raw, before breading and frying.

Yes, they still look nice (just smaller) and I find they go MUCH further.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics