Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How much did you pay for kids first pair of shoes?
1  2  Next

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 1:37 pm
Ds is 16 months and began walking over Yom Kippur. He was wearing soft soles Robeez, but grew out of them, and was in the market for a new pair or shoes. I had always opted for the soft soles which serve to protect my kids feet, feeling that barefoot is best.

Questions... how much did you spend on your kids first par of "real" shoes, and at what point in their development?

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 1:39 pm
I just got my sons real first pair. They were eighty bucks! (high tops)

happy chick

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 1:41 pm
ds is 14 months a nd I got his first pair of shoes right after r"h. I got shoes cause we were waling out on shabbos and I feel bad that hes walking on hard pavement with robeez. even though hes wearing real shoes, I was wondering if to keep him in robeez when not outside, but for now, didnt get him the next size robbeez. anyways, to answer your Q, I paid $65, which was on the lower end of the scale. some were 75 and some even 85.

cuties' mom

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 4:10 pm
Ods got his first pair of shoes at 26 months (my kids walk late) for $75. His second pair was 65 and his 3rd was 40 so we're definitely going down in price. Yds got his first pair of shoes at 22 months for $60. As far as to when to buy, our PT says to wait until they are walking more than crawling. Ods took his first step at 24 months. Yds was taking steps at 19 months but didn't start walking until 21 months. My kids are very frugal and are trying to save me money on shoes.

jaysmom

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 4:14 pm
O-M-G. When my son was a year I paid 13.99 at Target. Worked out just great. Very comfortable for him. He learned to walk with no issues, Baruch Hashem.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 4:16 pm
My DD got her first shoes at 1 year. Paid about $10. Her PT said they were great shoes and there is no reason to spend more.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 4:22 pm
My daughter got her first pair of shoes at 14 months. I paid $10.

supermommy07

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:27 pm
My sons first pair of shoes at 10 months-my kids walk young Smile cost $80(there was no selection as his feet were teeny tiny and only 1 or 2 companies make a size 17!!) and my daughters first pair at 12 months cost $55(size 19), but her second pair were $70.
First pair of shoes must be good quality. u should spend $$ on good supportive shoes untill they are 3 AT LEAST!! go to a proper place to get them sized! soo important! I hate when I see infants or young toddlers walking around in cute non supportive mary janes or what not from target,payless,old navy! u are ruining ur kids feet, and future! id say expect to spend btw 50-80 on a good pair of shoes. its worth the investment!

MamaBird

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:31 pm
dd was 1, mil spent the money stride rite, $50

jaysmom

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:43 pm
supermommy07 wrote:
u are ruining ur kids feet, and future! id say expect to spend btw 50-80 on a good pair of shoes.

This is a bit extreme. Many people don't have that kind of money to spend on thier kids shoes and the vast majority of the time they end up with feet that are perfectly fine. Parents should be able to tell if kids are uncomfortable in thier shoes or are walking funny. What happened to everyone's feet in the days before these expensive shoes?

Last edited by jaysmom on Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:44 pm
supermommy07 wrote:
My sons first pair of shoes at 10 months-my kids walk young Smile cost $80(there was no selection as his feet were teeny tiny and only 1 or 2 companies make a size 17!!) and my daughters first pair at 12 months cost $55(size 19), but her second pair were $70.
First pair of shoes must be good quality. u should spend $$ on good supportive shoes untill they are 3 AT LEAST!! go to a proper place to get them sized! soo important! I hate when I see infants or young toddlers walking around in cute non supportive mary janes or what not from target,payless,old navy! u are ruining ur kids feet, and future! id say expect to spend btw 50-80 on a good pair of shoes. its worth the investment!

I'd like to know where you are getting your info. I spoke to a number of physical therapists and pediatricians who all agreed that a child shoes should be comfortable and have a flexible sole. They told me that high- tops and extra support were not necessary (unless specifically indicated- I.e. children with muscle tone issues who need it) and could even be detrimental. I was told that any intelligent adult can fit a child properly and there was no reason to throw away $$ on expensive stores and brands.

greeneyes

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:48 pm
We spent about $60 or $65 on my daughter's first pair of shoes. After that I bought inexpensive ones. She had a couple of great pairs of shoes from the Children's Place that lasted really nicely & seemed supportive and comfortable, but then she had a couple pairs that really didn't last well. So lately I've been trying to find higher quality shoes on sale.

Barbara

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:53 pm
mamaleh wrote:
supermommy07 wrote:

I'd like to know where you are getting your info. I spoke to a number of physical therapists and pediatricians who all agreed that a child shoes should be comfortable and have a flexible sole. They told me that high- tops and extra support were not necessary (unless specifically indicated- I.e. children with muscle tone issues who need it) and could even be detrimental. I was told that any intelligent adult can fit a child properly and there was no reason to throw away $$ on expensive stores and brands.

My son is a bit older, and we always bought his shoes at Stride Rite, always going for the most flexible shoes possible. A podiatrist acquaintance with a child the same age told us we were crazy, that Payless shoes are the *best* for kids. So I certainly wouldn't think that wearing shoes recommended by a foot expert would *ruin* a child's feet.

supermommy07

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 6:57 pm
im not sayingget designer shoes or only shop on fifth avenue. what I am saying is I see pple putting their babies in flat flat shoes that are open on top and have zero support!! like these for a random example http://www.payless.com/store/p.....irls+
I am getting my info from well trained pple who are specailly trained to fit young children with proper shoes. I am getting my info from the companies reps that make these shoes, from websites such as babycenter.com,about.com, other parenting websites, and further more I am getting my info from the most respected pediatrician in the city where I live.
u can find stride rights for under $35 if u are a bargain shopper-I have done that but sometimes it doesnt work out if u need new shoes at the begining of a season.
and no not all parents can tell if their kids shoes fit proper;y.. what if ur kids feet are extra wide or narrow.. or wide by the toes and narrow by the heel. I have a friend who had her 3 yr old in size 19. I begged her to take her to get fitted and she did and she needed to be wearing a size 22!! the child did not complain and had been wearing those shoes for over a year!

Barbara

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:07 pm
supermommy07 wrote:
im not sayingget designer shoes or only shop on fifth avenue. what I am saying is I see pple putting their babies in flat flat shoes that are open on top and have zero support!! like these for a random example http://www.payless.com/store/p.....irls+
I am getting my info from well trained pple who are specailly trained to fit young children with proper shoes. I am getting my info from the companies reps that make these shoes, from websites such as babycenter.com,about.com, other parenting websites, and further more I am getting my info from the most respected pediatrician in the city where I live.
u can find stride rights for under $35 if u are a bargain shopper-I have done that but sometimes it doesnt work out if u need new shoes at the begining of a season.
and no not all parents can tell if their kids shoes fit proper;y.. what if ur kids feet are extra wide or narrow.. or wide by the toes and narrow by the heel. I have a friend who had her 3 yr old in size 19. I begged her to take her to get fitted and she did and she needed to be wearing a size 22!! the child did not complain and had been wearing those shoes for over a year!

I don't think its a big surprise that people who sell expensive shoes will tell you that expensive shoes are important.

AAP's statement on the need for supportive shoes --

http://www.pediatriccareonline.....?ti=0

mamaleh

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:08 pm
supermommy07 wrote:

Are you really quoting "salesmen" as a good source of info as to why everyone should buy their product? Both Barbara & I quoted people who are experts in children's physical development (or the development of there feet, at least) who said payless shoes were not a problem. I'm sure your ped is well respected, but he (or she) seems to be a lone voice here (or terribly out of date).
Those shoes you brought as an example could actually be ideal. Children's feet do not need "support" walking barefoot is quite healthy. Feet need to be protected from the dangers found outside.
In terms of fit I did say intelligent adults. I regularly check my dd's shoes to make sure they still fit (and because I pay so little for them, I'm much more likely to replace shoes that are even a drop snug). Obviously there are children who are hard to fit, that still does not mean you have to go to a "better" store to find a shoe that fits. It might take more time but you can do it on your own. Obviously, if you can't find something cheap that fits, then you might have to try something more expensive, but that's actually quite rare.

supermommy07

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:27 pm
if I go to a well respected shoe store and the man who fits my child has been doing it for 35 years and owns the store tell me dont get these shoes(cost $65) because ur ds is too young for mary janes they wont support her feet properly at this tender age...this pair is better suited for her (cost $45) I dont see the problem in quoting a salesman who was trained in this area,(HE is not trying to steal my money the pair he recommends is cheaper than the ones I wanted) just like I wouldnt have a problem quoting the saleswoman at the lingerie shop who measures me and tells me what size I need and that most woman wear the wrong size bra.

supermommy07

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 7:43 pm
quoted from a medical journal

First Shoes

When your child has started to walk by himself at home, he will shortly be walking on pavement and you need protection for the bottom of his feet. You would now be ready to get the first pair of shoes for your infant. Shoes that are flexible, roomy, and simply made are best. Remember, children's toes and feet must be allowed to grow naturally without restrictions and pressures.

Necessity for a Flexible Shoe

Some shoes look better, and have better leather and more durable construction, but too often they are so firmly made that they rob the infant of the free use of his foot.

To test flexibility, grasp the heel of the shoe in one hand, the toe in the other, then bend the heel and toe toward each other. If the shoe bends at the ball (the part of the sole directly behind the toes), and not through the center of the shoe, it means that the shoe has steel stiffening through the arch. A toddler wearing such shoes must walk stiff-footed because the shoe will prevent him from bending his feet. Such a shoe must not be purchased for any child.

Shoe stores which sell an arch-support line of children's shoes often do not carry a flexible infant's shoe. A clerk in such a shop may use the most persuasive arguments to convince you that his supportive shoes are best. Be firm, and find a store where the shoe in your child's size is flexible through the arch. Having found a flexible arch, make certain that the sole itself is not so thick that the shoe becomes hard to bend. An infant will outgrow a pair of shoes before he outwears it, so an unnecessarily thick sole has no value and should be avoided.

Do not resole younger children's shoes, for resoling them makes them smaller.

Shape of the Toe

The next thing to look for is the shape of the toe of the shoe. Shapes of children's shoes have undergone much improvement in the past decade. Occasionally one finds the old-style cowboy-boot-type shoes with their pointed toes. Do not under any circumstances purchase these.

Learn to identify pointed-type infant shoes by noting the differences between the generally tapered toes of adult shoes and the common broad-toed infants' shoes. The few minutes it will take to learn the difference will be worth while. Knowing the difference, and continuing with broader-toed shoes as the child gets older and the choice of shoe styles increases, will provide for added years of more normal growth until the inevitable adults' pointed-toed shoes must be worn.

Avoid Arch-support Features

Look inside the shoe. If the salesman says it is an "arch" shoe, or if it is so labelled, that does not necessarily mean it is supportive. Some manufacturers falsely use the words "arch support" in their shoes to sell more of them. Run your fingers over the inner sole of the shoe. If there are added elevations on the inner sole, beware. Shoes that have raises inside them are also likely to have other arch support features, all of them deforming. More about this later, but for the present, any shoes with arch support features are to be avoided.

Heels on Infants' Shoes

For infants, shoes without raised heels are the most desirable, though often unobtainable. Very likely, you will have to settle for a so-called "spring heel" in which there is a leather elevation under the sole at the heel.

Choosing the Right Length

When you have selected the best type of shoe for your child, you are ready to choose the correct length. Shoe clerks generally use a measuring device to measure the approximate size, then bring out a few pairs of shoes to be tried on. Check the clerk's assurance as to proper length. Have the child stand up with his weight resting evenly on both feet. Use your fingers to feel exactly where the child's toes lie in the shoe. Do not be afraid of spoiling the shoe by pressing your finger into the stiff leather toe in order to find where the big toe ends. Remember, a "good fit" is not what you are after in your child's shoe. If a pair of children's shoes fits "just right," when it is bought, it will certainly be too small in no time. There should be at least one adult thumb width or three-fourths of one inch of space between the end of the child's toes and the end of the shoe.

Choosing the Right Width

When buying your child's shoes, get the widest size possible. To test the width, feel alongside both sides of the foot at the ball, making sure there is free space between the sides of the foot and the sides of the shoe.

Be sure to feel both sides at the same time, so as to avoid pushing the foot to one side of the shoe when feeling for the proper width. A guide to getting the widest possible shoe for your baby is to leave enough space between the rows of eyelets to be able to tighten the laces. Mothers must be prepared to have uninformed shoe clerks protest vigorously at their insisting on wider shoes. Most people are not aware that the usual infant's shoe fit will deform the toes.

Severest deformities from shoe pressures occur before four years of age when bones are softest.

quoted from another article written by rachel ferris

Search for shoes that will allow your child's feet to breathe. Children's feet tend to sweat a lot; they need to breathe. Try to choose strong and durable shoes. It's no secret how active little ones can be, and if their shoes are sturdy they will last a lot longer.

You want your child's shoes to have the perfect soles; this is important to keep your child from falling. Choose soles that have good grips; these are called non-skid shoes. They will provide your child with the extra protection needed to keep them from sliding and falling easily.

Make sure your child's shoes have good arch support. You don't want your child to end up with flat feet, or back trouble later down the road. Look for good support shoes with extra cushion in the inside.

watergirl

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 8:11 pm
wow, I did not see this fight coming (sarcastic voice intended). I was simply asking for others experinces... I do think its interesting to note here that lately Ive been reading about china and foot binding... if you all want to loose a nights sleep, go do a google search on that!

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 03 2010, 9:47 pm
we spent 50, same pair was 70 in a different store
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics