Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Ready To Give Up!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 8:44 pm
Homeschooling now for a year, and ready to give up!
It's gotten too hard with the scheduling, preparing, taking care of the younger kids while teaching.
2 of the kids don't work well and can't be motivated, setting off the other kids and annoying them.
There are no other options, so homeshcooling is the only choice. (except pubilc school, which isn't an option!).
Oh, I am in desperate need of chizuk to continue!

Some days are so good, others are just awful!!!

My kids learn a ton, but I have no time to breathe! I am exhausted!!! There are no other Jewish families who are homeschooling, so no support at all!

Please help me to continue this!!!

amother

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 9:54 pm
www.room613.net a jewish online homeschool. Good Luck, you're not alone.

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 1:42 am
How old are your older ones? Old enough to read? Can you sit them down with a book on the material as well as some questions af the end of each chapter, and tell them they need to read and answer questions, and when they finish that, they can have free time for x amount of time? That frees you up if you don't need to be sitting there, teaching everything they're learning.
Is that an option? If not, I have some more suggestions.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:09 am
oh gosh, I know EXACTLY how you feel:(

I just cant get my act together, I am dying to establish some sort of routine for myself as well as the kids... and yes, kids learn so much just thru life and play but I think routine is so important, otherwise just hefger all day...

any advice from homeschoolers who have a system that works, help us!!!

we also homeschool cos no choice:(

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 2:19 am
Oh, and its hard to give tips if I don't know the ages of your kids, because that makes a big difference.

jackiejoel3

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 3:29 am
I don't homeschool but just because you do doesn't mean you can't get a break yourself. Perhaps you could bring in a babysitter for 2 hours in the afternoon so you can get a break make dinner etc. The kids would know that at 8:30am we daven then we learn etc and between 4-6pm Sara comes to take us to the park or whatever. This way you can get a break, make dinner etc.

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 3:56 am
A totally innocent/ignorant question here - by no other choice, do you mean that there are no schools where you live (other than public school) or that the available schools aren't an option for whatever reason?

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 3:59 pm
amother wrote:
Homeschooling now for a year, and ready to give up!
It's gotten too hard with the scheduling, preparing, taking care of the younger kids while teaching.
2 of the kids don't work well and can't be motivated, setting off the other kids and annoying them.
There are no other options, so homeshcooling is the only choice. (except pubilc school, which isn't an option!).
Oh, I am in desperate need of chizuk to continue!

Some days are so good, others are just awful!!!

My kids learn a ton, but I have no time to breathe! I am exhausted!!! There are no other Jewish families who are homeschooling, so no support at all!

Please help me to continue this!!!

Hug Hug

Unfortunately there is no "system" that works for every family. But perhaps we can give you chizuk and suggestions?

Could you tell us your kids' ages and what schedule, if any, you have for them? What are your goals for the month/year?

As far as you needing a break, now that you aren't paying tuition, can you pay for a sitter twice a week for a couple of hours?

Can you set "school hours" for your kids? I tell my kids (9yo, 6yo, 4yo and 9mo) that (usually) we start school at 9am and I aim to be done by 2pm. Anything after that is "homework" meaning any after-school fun (like library visits, ice cream, bike riding) cannot be done until all homework is done and I cannot sit with them and their work during that time. Have they learned to go any entertain themselves yet? That is the most important skill my kids have IMHO. Even the toddlers can be set on an errand or task that will keep them occupied for a little bit. Can you separate your children so they don't set each other off (I know this well!!). When it gets bad, I send one to the "basement office" or their bedroom or kitchen to do an assignment.

G-d only knows we have those kinds of days too especially now that we are getting back to school after our month-long Yom Tov break. I will probably join you in the looney bin sometime soon. Clown

Hatzlacha!!!!
Yael
homeschooling three years with four nifty kids

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 5:03 pm
Can you do less, so that less can be more? Why overdo? The atmosphere is as important as "learning a ton". Maybe some kids can have school three days a week, and others the other three days, or alternate kids mornings and afternoons, or whatever works. You shouldn't need as many hours as in a school, because your time is much more focused and there are far fewer kids than in a typical classroom.

Can some kids work on a creative project loosely related to the subject matter that doesn't require your help - like some kind of art or creating a simple play - while other kids are formally taught?

You don't have to run your home exactly like a school - you are blessed with the opportunity for more flexibility in doing whatever fits your family's needs.

supermama2

Post Tue, Oct 05 2010, 5:30 pm
I was homeschooling until my 5th kah. Had no support..no family...minimal friends in town but anyway, the friends I did have were busy and those that had time didn't line up w/ my routine. So...we made alyiah partly because I couldn't continue on the path we were on and moving to a place w/ an affordable talmud Torah was not an option. I'm happy to discuss more if you want to PM me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling