Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing question

Frumom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 6:49 pm
I need some advice! I'm going to be working part time next year. My baby will be 11 months when I start. I'm still nursing him, primarily before nap time and bed time.
So my q is, do I pump, start on formula or give regular milk? (Do people start reg. milk after a year instead of breast milk??)

I know I sound clueless, but I guess there's a first time for everything. Confused
Please share experiences...Thanks Smile

Frumom

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 7:15 pm
27 views and no responses?? shock

Pickle Lady

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 7:28 pm
I think it depends on how long you are going to be away from you son at a time and what time of day it is.

At that age I don't think you should start formula. he can go a span of 5-6 hours without breastfeeding at that age. Start milk after one.

realeez

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 7:37 pm
After 1 you can start with whole milk (but if you are Canadian you may start earlier). I wouldn't start w/ formula then - they don't need it plus will have solids.

didan

Post Mon, Jul 31 2006, 7:43 pm
B"H

At that age there's no need for formula. Regular table food is fine. It might be beneficial to start slowing down on nursing now so it'll be an easier adjustment for him.

There is no need to quit nursing completely. Even if you're working full time, your son will benefit from a morning and evening breastfeed.

Health is a Virture

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 1:26 am
How old is your baby now? I would suggest to not start with pumping at this stage of the game, as you are hardly nursing him anyway and to start pumping at this point, may turn out to be impossible or very difficult. A) Your body is not used to pumping so not much milk may come out and B) Your baby may not take your milk in a bottle....babies like the comfort of the breast a whole lot better than the bottle.

I would suggest that you keep on nursing though. Nurse the baby in the morning before you leave (or before you get out of better, a whole lot more fun!!! you can keep on sleeping that way). Nurse when you come home and still nurse before he goes to sleep. At this point anyway it sounds like your baby is probably getting most of his nutrients and calories from food. So, while he is aawy from you, he will eat all hsi food (fortified cereal and all those other yummy, healthy, deliceious foods), and then at home, you supply him with the benfits of nursing (health benefits and comfort benefits)

Good luck!!

Frumom

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 7:33 am
Thanks everyone. The only thing is, I'm going to try and get him to take a nap before I leave to work. Since he's so used to nursing to sleep, how would the babysitter get him to sleep if he ends up needing a nap there? Would getting him to sleep with a bottle of reg. milk work?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 7:48 am
Frumom wrote:
Thanks everyone. The only thing is, I'm going to try and get him to take a nap before I leave to work. Since he's so used to nursing to sleep, how would the babysitter get him to sleep if he ends up needing a nap there? Would getting him to sleep with a bottle of reg. milk work?

Some doctors say if the baby doesn't have any allergies, starting whole milk before a year is fine. Personally, I pumped from the time he was 6 weeks old until he was 1. I switched to whole milk cold turkey, and he took to it fine.
He doesn't have the bottle for his nap though -- he has it when he wakes up, and at home, if my husband is watching and I'm not around to nurse, water is sufficient to get him hydrated.

Since he eats solids well, if he drinks water fine, there might be no need for milk, but if he really needs it for his nap, I say to go ahead and start him on it...it can even be warmed up for more comfort.

I don't believe in nursing to put my son down for a nap since I know it's not always possible and doesn't always work. There are times I know it calms him down or he's thirsty, and I would nurse then, but not on a regular basis.
To get my son down for a nap now, I wait till he exhibits some symptoms of being tired, walk him to his crib, put him in sitting up, read him a picture book forwards and backwards, say "see you later" and walk out while closing the door. He usually does his fake cry for a minute and then I hear him laughing and giggling while he reads the book to himself (I leave it in his crib along with a cup of water if he needs a drink). When he's done playing he either goes to sleep on his own or cries for a couple minutes and puts himself to sleep.
It took me a little bit to get him used to this routine, and I started out by staying in the room with him and lying on the floor till he fell asleep. I did let him cry a bit but never too long and too hard.
If you do decide to train him out of nursing to nap, I would advise you start now so he'll be able to adjust to both the new routine and the new caregiver fine.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Aug 01 2006, 7:40 pm
When my son was 11 months old, he was still nursing (or taking a bottle) every 3 hours....but if your baby doesn't need it, then you definately don't need to pump much.
I would suggest that your baby shouldn't get used to needed a bottle/nursing to go to bed. Now's the time to get him to fall asleep on his own. However, he still may be thirsty! My dr. said to start cow's milk at 1-year. Maybe your dr. will say 11 months is fine. ASK!
If he says not to, it's up to you to try and see if you can pump enough. Otherwise, give formula. I started supplementing with formula when my son was 10 1/2 months old...but that was because I was pregnant and cutting down nursing. But he still needed his bottle every 3 hours at that point.

momof2girls

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 11:46 am
Good Luck! It's always tough going to work with a nursing baby, but the fact that your baby eats solids should make it easier.

Frumom

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 12:38 pm
Thanks everyone. I'll try reg. milk for when hes at the babysitter and see how that goes. How much reg. milk can he have a day?

About getting him to sleep without nursing/rocking, I would love to change things. Anyone have tips? I don't want him crying for more than a few minutes. It seems that the choices are either the Ferber method, or nursing/rocking.

momof2girls

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 3:26 pm
Does your baby take a pacifier, or have a special blanket he/she likes?

That's my magical recipe for putting my kids to sleep. Both of my kids have a pacifier and blanket they're attached to.

ChavieK

Post Wed, Aug 02 2006, 3:47 pm
If rocking works that's what the sitter will do. Please don't give him a bottle in the crib, very bad for the teeth.If I am out at bedtime, one of my kids will sometimes have to take my 15 mo old for a walk around the block, whtever works.

Health is a Virture

Post Fri, Aug 04 2006, 5:16 am
frumom,

THE NO CRY SLEEP SOLUTION is an excellent book for teaching child to go to sleep on their own, without doing it cry it out or driving yoruself crazy.

Also, though my daughter was older, I found letting her cry when I was next to her, wtih her, was the best method (for the middle of the night when I wanted to wean her at night). Quick, easy, and she never was alone, and never felt abandoned, etc, etc, etc (all the reasons why people say not to do cry it out)

but that book is really a great book, and has lots of excellent ideas!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics