Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Waiting for hours
1  2  Next

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 12:27 am
I work as a seit for the past couple of years, and so far have no hours this year? can anyone suggest some agencies I can try? or just sympathize if ur in the same situation!

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 1:22 am
Sigh. Just the sympathies for you. Sorry. Sad

I hear the board of ed is being much stingier with the hours they give out nowadays. And the kids who already had hours age out steadily enough.

SEIT is a nice job but if you're not getting cases maybe try branching out. EI is also having cutbacks but maybe you can still get something. If you aren't already trained in some specialty like ABA maybe now that you're not busy with work it may be a good time to work on making yourself more marketable.

GL!

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 7:39 am
I'm in the same situation and am enjoying being home with ds while waiting for jobs to come. Last year, I got all my hours from comprehensive. The year before, I worked for comprehensive and bright smile. I signed up with other agencies but never got jobs out of them. My boss at comprehensive predicts that in another week or 2 jobs will start coming in, but I heard that line before.

zigi

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 8:59 am
also its the begining of the school year kids are starting to get evaluated and then they will get a seit.

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 10:56 pm
hi cuties mom! I'm glad ur enjoying this situation, but I'm not for two reasons. one, my dh is constantly pressuring me, and two I get really bored at home! I appreciate my dd more when I have a break. anyway, maybe we shld start a daven for me and ill daven for u kind of thing! pm me if ur interested. I never heard of comprehensive, can u provide info? also, which other agencies did u try?

runninglate

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 11:58 pm
just wanted to vent! I am still waiting! another case came up and then fell through HELP! I am so frustrated!

cuties' mom

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 9:25 am
My dh is also nagging, but I ignore it since there's nothing I could do about the situation. My boss emailed me on Friday that he probably has a job for me. I'm still waiting for info. Comprehensive is located in Manhattan but services all five boros. In the past week, they posted 2 Brooklyn jobs, both of which were grabbed right away. One was in Flatbush, one in Bed-Sty. Their website is www.comprehensivekids.org. I also signed up with Bright Smile, Omni, Starting Point, and Kidstime but the only ones who ever gave me a job are comprehensive and bright smile. I really don't want to get a job, but I know I will have to take one that's offered. How about I daven for you and you daven that dh should get a day job so he'll stop nagging?

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:48 pm
a great idea! so u just ignore it? also, it sounds like a different situation, cuz I want to work. anyway, I never heard of starting point or kidstime, and cant find them by googling. cld u give me their contact info pls? and comprehensive do u have a phone number? the link doesn't seem to work. thanks.

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 8:55 pm
zigi wrote:
also its the begining of the school year kids are starting to get evaluated and then they will get a seit.
Thats what I was gonna say. Same thing happened to my sil last year so hopefully somethign will come up soon. Good Luck and I will have you in mind in my prayers. RR6178 bas???

runninglate

Post Mon, Oct 18 2010, 10:35 pm
bas YL4708! LOL! thanks!

runninglate

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:41 pm
horray! I finally got some hours.bh. just had to share the news with my friends at imamother

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:48 pm
Great news, thanks for sharing! Which agency did you end up getting from?
Just wanted to mention to the people waiting for SEIT hours, if you're certified in higher grades too I keep getting calls to do P3. Lots of demand in proportion to the amount of providers. I've had to turn people away right and left. Doesn't pay quite as well but if you have nothing, it's something. Only issue is that most people are looking for after school P3's. Some jobs also in afternoons in schools. So if you have school age kids at home it's not ideal. But it's something...

runninglate

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 5:05 pm
yeled v'yalda, the one ive been working for for a while.

runninglate

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 5:06 pm
yeled v'yalda, the one ive been working for for a while.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 5:41 pm
Would anyone mind sharing:
what is the payrate for a SIET? Do you work directly for an agency or the board of ed? Is there a lot of traveling involved - hopping from school to school or are you usually placed in one setting? How many hours a week does a child receive siet services?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 5:47 pm
SEIT always goes through agencies. Rate varies by agency, typicall $55-65 per hour before taxes. You often have to travel between cases but in theory you could luck out, don't know how likely it is though. The hours depend on the individual case, typical is 5-10 per week.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 6:01 pm
I was goingn to suggest Yeled VYalda. Surprised you couldnt get hours, SEITs are in such demand, esp bilingual SEITs.

runninglate

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 6:05 pm
I am bilingual, but unfortunately, seits are not in such demand in the beg of the year. it's more like cases are in such demand! anyway, bh I got something.

runninglate

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 6:07 pm
just wanted an opinion, do u think its worth it to take a few hrs with another big agency like omni or something so I don't get stuck again next year beh? cuz trying to get into an agency in the beg of the yr is like banging ur head against the wall. maybe I shld cover myself by joining another agency in middle of the yr?

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 8:27 pm
That depends on how many hours you have now and how many you want. If you want more hours anyway then you might as well check out other agencies. If you don't have time for any more cases, then it may not be the best idea.
ETA: I took the job I mentioned last time. I start tomorrow. In a way it was exciting to pack my work bag, but I would still prefer to stay home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics