Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Henya/ Henye

amother

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 6:48 pm
I had checked up where the origin of this name is: Yiddish nickname of Henrietta which is a form of Harriet which means "mistress of the house, ruler, lord." In Hebrew I'd think it were Malka or Sara.
However, just recently I checked it up again and it says it is the Yiddish nickname from Hannah- a completely different meaning...
Does anyone know? I was thinking about naming after a family member with this name, but would prefer to just use the meaning and not the exact Yiddish name. Now I'm not sure what it means, though!
TIA!

Nuts

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 7:31 pm
I also heard that it is derived from the hebrew name Hannah-Chana.

mandksima

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 11:02 pm
My dd's English middle name is Hannah and in Hebrew, she is Chenya (Chet-nun-yud-hay), named after a great aunt. Is that the same as Henya? We don't use our English names here so she uses the Chenya as a middle name (which doesn't get used much anyway.) Israelis always think it is Chana for some reason...

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Oct 11 2010, 11:17 pm
My book says Chana.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:47 pm
my middle name is spelled "chenya"- pronounced "Chee-ye-na", it means Charisma- the root is yiddish, chein.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Oct 12 2010, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:
my middle name is spelled "chenya"- pronounced "Chee-ye-na", it means Charisma- the root is yiddish, chein.

Except chen is Hebrew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names