Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Pumpkin puree bishul yisroel

sky

Post Thu, Oct 14 2010, 11:13 am
Anyone know what brand /where I can buy that is bishul yisroel? It doesn't have to say it on the can, but if you know what brand is then I can verify it with the hechsher. Thanks.

sky

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:01 am
I'm looking for info on brands.
I've so far called the O-U on Libby's Pumpkin Puree and they rely on that its steamed.
Do you know of other brands that have a hechsher other then the O-U that I can try to ask?
Thanks.

ihyphenated

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:08 am
buy a pumpkin. cut in half. scrape out seeds. face it down on oiled cookie sheet. bake. scrape flesh into bowl. mush. theres your bishul yisroel pumpkin puree.

sky

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 10:44 am
ihyphenated wrote:
buy a pumpkin. cut in half. scrape out seeds. face it down on oiled cookie sheet. bake. scrape flesh into bowl. mush. theres your bishul yisroel pumpkin puree.

I know, but I'm lazy. If I'm making a recipe I want it to be quick. Also doesn't it have to be a certain type of pumpkin. I once bought one when we went apple picking, they were for decorating and it tasted HORRIBLE and was very stringy. I'm scared to just buy one again.

ihyphenated

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 1:56 am
honestly butternut squashes and sweet potatoes are much more reliable. roast and puree those two together and youll get something thats got a similar texture to canned pureed pumpkin.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 2:17 am
You can cut down on the baking time by first microwaving on "high" for a few minutes face-down (the cut pumpkin, not you) in a 1/4" water. Pierce the skin (again, of the pumkpin, not you) w/a fork in a few places first.

sky

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:18 am
thank you for your replies. My microwave is dairy so that doesn't help me. I think I"m going to have to give up. I'm the only one who likes it here, so unless its really easy I'm not going to put in the effort.

(I'm still looking for one that is kof-K that may be bishul yisroel, I have to check with them once I find it. )

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 12:30 pm
ha. I've never made a recipe calling for pumpkin for this reason. It is possible to live without it! However I second that there's a really delicious sweet squash that's like pumpkin, but called something else, it bakes pretty quickly, and I'd use that. I googled squash and came up with kabocha or japanese squash. also calabaza squash.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 12:39 pm
I'm no maven ... but considering you have to cook the recipe - wouldn't that make it bishul yisroel What

nylon

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 12:42 pm
What's in Libby's pumpkin is a variety called Dickinson pumpkin... which is botanically closer to butternut squash. But "Libby's canned squash" doesn't sound as good!

You can use either butternut squash or the small pumpkins sold as pie pumpkin. The big pumpkins like they sell for jack-o-lanterns are inedible--stringy, watery and tasteless. I prefer butternut, which is less watery and easier to cook too--the skin is thinner, it's easier to cut, and there's less cleaning and waste. Even the small pumpkins tend to be watery, and the puree requires cooking down on the stove. If your butternut squash puree is really thin, you can do that (sorry, I know, work!) but I've used butternut puree as is. It purees nicely, too, very smooth.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 4:10 pm
greenfire wrote:
I'm no maven ... but considering you have to cook the recipe - wouldn't that make it bishul yisroel What

I'm no maven either - but most people hold that canned veggoes are steamed and don't need to be bishul yisroel, but we hold it does have to be. I think if is edible out of the can it doesn't matter if you will still be cooking it.

I used to use the frozen butternut squash but recently learned that it is slightly boiled before frozen That I do make from scratch now (I have to find out why it is not allowed because it is not edible out of the bag, I have to look it into it more)

I did find canned sweet potato with a star-k. They confirmed for me that even though they hold it is steamed and OK, the brand I called for was bishul yisroel. So that makes my life easier.

Nylon, that is interesting about the Libby ingredient. Maybe I'll try butternut then.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 4:43 pm
who eats plain pumpkin ?!

sky

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 7:02 pm
greenfire wrote:
who eats plain pumpkin ?!

I think it just means that its edible, not that it tastes good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen