Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kosher concersn with lip balm (Chapstick)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 11:47 am
So, I need to buy lip balm and I know that Chapstick is generally considered Kosher. I don't know why, however.

I see Chapstick is pricey where I'm shopping, and that there are myriads of other lip balsm that are cheaper, but they have a list of ingredients up the wazoo, including oils, flavorings and colorings.

What is a girl to do? Anyone ?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 11:50 am
I have both Googled and answered my own questions, so I guess this is a PSA for all:

http://www.kosherspirit.com/Ar.....e=123

louche

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 12:10 pm
Thanks!

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 12:29 pm
To some lipstick isn't considered edible even by a dog and hence doesn't need kashrus.

louche

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 12:30 pm
Ruchel wrote:
To some lipstick isn't considered edible even by a dog and hence doesn't need kashrus.

That's essentially what the linked site said.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 12:42 pm
Right ... I thought I had learned that anything that came into contact with the teeth and lips should preferably have a hechsher, and as I said, I see that today's lip balms are full of unhechshered colorings, oils, and flavorings, but I'm obviously

MISTAKEN!

And I admit it !!!

Barbara

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 12:52 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Right ... I thought I had learned that anything that came into contact with the teeth and lips should preferably have a hechsher, and as I said, I see that today's lip balms are full of unhechshered colorings, oils, and flavorings, but I'm obviously

MISTAKEN!

And I admit it !!!

CM, the reference to lip balm didn't come up on the link for me, so I googled out of curiosity. For reasons I will never understand this came up:

http://store.baconsalt.com/JDs......html

So, does this mean we can all use bacon-flavored lip balm?

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 1:07 pm
I didn't check the link, but in the Pesach forums, Rabbi Marlow z"l always told the women that lipstick should not only be Kosher for pesach, but all year round should be kosher as well. Kosher spirit is the OK labs mag. I'm guessing that Rabbi Levy says it's okay, but I'm not sure which Rav he's relying on, and my own Rav said lipstick has to (should?) be kosher.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 4:49 pm
London beth din guide lists Chapstick (except for grape flavour).

freidasima

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 5:29 pm
Well I was taught that during the year lipstick didn't have to be kosher but davka on Pesach because we are so makpid of anything having to do with chometz ("mashehu" and not just "ro-ooy leachilas kelev") it has to be kosher lepesach.

So during the year I use clinique and on pesach I use...clinique which was certified KLP (at least the one KLP lipstic I have been using for a decade, at this rate it should last me for the rest of my life, no?)

chanahlady

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 2:40 pm
There are some lip balms that have carmine in them for coloring (crushed cochineal beetle -- yum!) and I definitely stay away from that.

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 3:43 pm
Barbara wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

MISTAKEN!

And I admit it !!!

CM, the reference to lip balm didn't come up on the link for me, so I googled out of curiosity. For reasons I will never understand this came up:

http://store.baconsalt.com/JDs......html

So, does this mean we can all use bacon-flavored lip balm?

Blech. If we ingest any, we can wash it down with this nasty Brussels sprouts-flavored soda:

http://zapatopi.net/blog/?post....._soda

Barbara

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 5:38 pm
freidasima wrote:
Well I was taught that during the year lipstick didn't have to be kosher but davka on Pesach because we are so makpid of anything having to do with chometz ("mashehu" and not just "ro-ooy leachilas kelev") it has to be kosher lepesach.

So during the year I use clinique and on pesach I use...clinique which was certified KLP (at least the one KLP lipstic I have been using for a decade, at this rate it should last me for the rest of my life, no?)

Lipstick does go bad. If it smells rancid, treat yourself to a new one.

paprika

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:51 pm
Dr. Fisher makes a kosher lip balm with a hechsher.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:16 pm
If you just get the unflavored kind then you for sure have no problem. Shouldn't be too hard.

enneamom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:27 pm
I use Vaseline, it's nothing but petroleum jelly.

faigie

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 6:02 pm
Avon has a lip balm get the cherry one,, I swear by it so soothing to dry lips,, and cheap too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen