Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Our children, for us to take care

amother

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 2:09 pm
I recently started sending my 2 year old daughter to playgroup and keep on hearing from friends/family/neighbors how happy I must be that I have the entire day to myself. That I'm a "free bird" ..... My kid is the type of child who is very social and needs the company throughout the day. She is a bit young (according to some) to start school but she needs it and loves going. So no, I did not start her at school so I can have vacation from her and be on my own for a couple of hours a day. Which brings me to think, is it normal to send your child away for your convenience? Arent they our children and our responsibility?

Simple1

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 2:17 pm
Many parents need a break, so they can refresh and that will make them a better mother.

the world's best mom

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 2:29 pm
Unfotunately, it has become a normal thing to do. It didn't used to be that way. A break is good, but sending a kid to school before they're ready is detrimental to the child. I sent one of my kids to school at 2 because she needed it, my next was in a round robin so that she could socialize but in a home setting, and my 3rd is non verbal so he's home with me all day. He's adorable, though he is a handful. My break is when he naps, and that's enough for me and him.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Oct 15 2010, 4:24 pm
Would it be so terrible for you to organize your house and do some errands in peace at that time ? did these people making comments ever have kids ?

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
I recently started sending my 2 year old daughter to playgroup and keep on hearing from friends/family/neighbors how happy I must be that I have the entire day to myself. That I'm a "free bird" ..... My kid is the type of child who is very social and needs the company throughout the day. She is a bit young (according to some) to start school but she needs it and loves going. So no, I did not start her at school so I can have vacation from her and be on my own for a couple of hours a day. Which brings me to think, is it normal to send your child away for your convenience? Arent they our children and our responsibility?

I never started my kid till they were 4. I am not you. Are your friends neighbors really being judgmental or are you hearing their comments, which they might mean to be supportive "Oh how lovely for you..." as negativity?

Hashemlovesme

Post Sat, Oct 16 2010, 4:35 pm
It depends on the personalities of the child & mother as well as tons of other factors! I started dd in playgroup @ 2yrs old since I am incapable of giving her the stimulation & socialization that she needs. She comes home happy, I'm rested & the house it (pretty much) in order (I can't get ANYTHING done w/ her home all day) & I can give her what she needs till bedtime.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 5:58 am
Op I feel you. I am in the same place. I send out my kid because she needed more then I could give him
He was ready for ppl and I could not keep up with energy of entertaining. B"H it works out. I have to keep in mind that ppl will say things and what matters is how I feel/think and my dh.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 7:29 pm
I guess I wasnt clear in my original post. I'm asking about sending your kids out at a young age because you need some time for yourself. The comments I have been receiving are well meaning. My question is, is it fair to the kids to send them away at a young age (if they're happy at home) just so you can get some "vacation" from them)?

MiamiMommy

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 8:55 pm
My friend's 2 year old DS cries to go to playgroup on Sundays. He LOVES it and that's why she sends him!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 9:00 pm
Listen, each to their own.
Some send once a week so they can do all their shopping in peace. The kid misbehaves in the stores anyways so social time isn't a bad idea.
Some send because their kid needs social and stimulating time and go for a few hours a week.
Some send because being home with their kid is just not for them!!!
Some send because they go to work anyways.
Some send because they had a baby or two and it's hard to juggle them all.

Whatever the reason is, as long as you feel you are doing the right thing and you feel he is in the right place don't listen to anyone!!

amother

Post Sun, Oct 17 2010, 9:24 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Listen, each to their own.
Some send once a week so they can do all their shopping in peace. The kid misbehaves in the stores anyways so social time isn't a bad idea.
Some send because their kid needs social and stimulating time and go for a few hours a week.
Some send because being home with their kid is just not for them!!!Some send because they go to work anyways.
Some send because they had a baby or two and it's hard to juggle them all.

Whatever the reason is, as long as you feel you are doing the right thing and you feel he is in the right place don't listen to anyone!!

This is my question, send your child away at a young age because you cant stay home with them? too bad! its your child, you had them, dont just send them cuz u cant handle them. deal with it (and not by sending them away at a really young age)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children