Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Challenge- Argue the Opposite Position 2010
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

life'sgreat

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 12:36 am
poelmamosh wrote:
crush wrote:
enneamom wrote:
amother wrote:
crush wrote:
Someone else try, please!

some rules are just made to be broken. I mean, just look at this idiotic thread. a bunch of women who can't even decide which side to butter their bread on. someone's gotta set them straight. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And here we have a perfect argument...AGAINST attacking others under amother.

LOL I think this amother was joking, showing her support for attacking under amother. At least I hope so! Well it's funny, complete with all the eye rolls.
amother, care to say who you really are? I won't dislike you cuz of it, promise! Smile
This thread is so funny Nervous

Alright. I'll come out just to tell you that it's the second time I've used amother since joining imamother, so I thought I qualified to give the rejoinder, (the other time was also on some humor thread) Smile. Oh, and the capital "I" in that post was a typo.

It's funny if you sign your username when you post something like the above.

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 1:15 am
life'sgreat wrote:
poelmamosh wrote:
crush wrote:
enneamom wrote:
amother wrote:
crush wrote:
Someone else try, please!

some rules are just made to be broken. I mean, just look at this idiotic thread. a bunch of women who can't even decide which side to butter their bread on. someone's gotta set them straight. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And here we have a perfect argument...AGAINST attacking others under amother.

LOL I think this amother was joking, showing her support for attacking under amother. At least I hope so! Well it's funny, complete with all the eye rolls.
amother, care to say who you really are? I won't dislike you cuz of it, promise! Smile
This thread is so funny Nervous

Alright. I'll come out just to tell you that it's the second time I've used amother since joining imamother, so I thought I qualified to give the rejoinder, (the other time was also on some humor thread) Smile. Oh, and the capital "I" in that post was a typo.

It's funny if you sign your username when you post something like the above.

Sorry. I outed myself when I realized it was misunderstood.
I'm remembering an initial amother moment now, the one that put me off anonymous posting in the first place *shudder*

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:28 am
ysmommy wrote:
seraph- spending alot of money is good.

GO!!!

Life is only so short; if you're constantly worrying about money, you'll just die not having enjoyed life. What's the point in working hard if you don't get to at least benefit from it?
We're bnei melachim- if we don't spend money to actually live like kings, we'll be making a chillul hashem. Hashem doesn't want us to live in dumpy areas, with shluchy clothes. Its even a mitzva to buy new clothes and jewelry at certain times of the year.
Whatever money you spend on shabbos you'll be paid back- you should be mechabed shabos and yom tov by spending a lot of money to get only the best things.
Kavod habrios is important, including to yourself, so its important that you have things that look nice because you're respecting yourself that way.
If you don't spend a lot of money on something, you'll get bad quality merchandise that will be needing replacement soon anyhow, so you're really just shooting yourself in the foot.

Can you tell I don't believe anything that I said?

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:40 am
Marina - Argue in favor of being insular, and against being open minded.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:43 am
Seraph - no, I can't.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:47 am
PinkFridge wrote:
"There are some premises that cannot be defended, either intellectually or due to one's conscience."

PinkFridge - Argue against this.

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:48 am
Isramom, argue against co-sleeping.
Or, argue why you shouldn't live in an OOT community to do kiruv.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:49 am
Someone give me one, please.

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:54 am
sequoia wrote:
Argue why modern orthodoxy is a problematic way of serving Hashem. Twisted Evil

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:57 am
sequoia wrote:

Argue in favor of wearing shoes (not slippers) all the time in your own home.
Argue that sheitel-wearing women are the cause of all evil in the world.
Argue that Jews are a harmonious People who don't oppose one another.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 3:59 am
Seraph - argue that the general public should be the ones to determine how to spell and pronounce the names of children in the population.

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:03 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Seraph - argue that the general public should be the ones to determine how to spell and pronounce the names of children in the population.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:06 am
That you don't get to decide how to spell and pronounce Shmaya.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 4:09 am
Modern Orthodoxy is an inherently flawed, or at any rate inherently problematic way of serving Hashem. Why? Several reasons.

1. Modern Orthodoxy is all about "pushing the limits" of what's acceptable in terms of dress, entertainment, and mixed-gender socializing. The idea is "I can watch secular movies and TV shows and not get affected by them." "I can interact socially and even form close friendships with the opposite gender and it won't affect my emotional life, my marriage, or my thoughts." "I can rely on the most lenient opinions when it comes to tznius and hair covering, or even make my own decisions without any recourse to rabbinical authorities." That's the idea, but human beings aren't like that. We are affected by everything we see, hear, read, and are exposed to. We are affected emotionally by interacting with the opposite gender, even if it seems casual to us. We can't expose ourselves to garbage and then expect holiness to emerge. In order to live pure lives and make the most of our avodas Hashem, we need to minimize our exposure to potentially harmful elements, not push the limits and hope our faith and will are strong enough.

2. Modern Orthodoxy seeks to reconcile irreconcilable elements. We cannot take the Torah seriously as a moral and religious text but claim that bereishis is a myth or the gemara is nonsense scientifically. Either it is emet or it isn't. If it is, then we ought to accept it as such even in the face of scientific or historical evidence that seems to suggest otherwise. If it isn't, then why do we bother taking the moral, ritual, and religious aspects seriously?

3. Modern Orthodoxy, with its emphasis on career success and interfacing with the secular world, causes young people to abandon Orthodoxy by exposing them to all sorts of philosophies and lifestyles that conflict with the Torah. Not only that, but young people see that their success in their chosen fields, especially highly competitive fields, often depends on willingness to compromise -- to come in on a shabbos or holiday, to go to that company party, to leave the kippah at home. When professional success is so highly emphasized, is it any wonder that smart and ambitious young people start by thinking religion can be put on hold for a bit, and end by abandoning it altogether?

Thus it emerges that, philosophically as well as practically, Modern Orthodoxy is a problematic way of serving Hashem.

hadasa

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 8:56 am
I think we should have a rule that for every x number of heated posts on the controversial forum, you have to come and post one here.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:05 am
marina wrote:
I just want to say how impressed I am with those of you who really took this challenge seriously and stepped out of your comfort zones to argue the opposite position. I am so impressed.

Yes, of course somethings are indefensible (I cannot bring myself to argue that anyone other than the police should be called in a molestation case), but for the most part being able to step out of your shoes and see the world from someone else's perspective is very intellectually healthy.

As an aside, it also makes me respect your actual opinion more because I see that you really have the ability to evaluate both sides and make an carefully-weighed choice.

I agree with this.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:26 am
Isramom8 wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:
"There are some premises that cannot be defended, either intellectually or due to one's conscience."

I can't. I was hoping someone else would and open my mind.

sky

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:28 am
Everyone should own a buggaboo

A stroller is something that will be used for all of your children and on a daily basis. A parent should invest into the comfort of their baby and the ease of their own commute. A buggaboo perfectly fits that bill like no other carriage. It accomadates babies in a carrycot, the most comfortable and safest position for a newborn and then grows with your child allowing the child to face the parent, allowing for bonding during errands, and to face the world, allowing you child to see clearly all that is going around. It provides the easiest push for parents and easily allows them to bump up and down stairs. The basket is large enough for typical errands.
If you are the type that has a defined sense of style then the bugaboo can be customized to your preference. The interior, exterior, and sunshade fabrics can be chosen to your specification.
some may argue that the price of a bugaboo is too steep for a carriage. But if you calculate how much a new carriage would cost for each of your children then the cost of the bugaboo is definetly the better value. The company will stand behind the product and replace any piece that may break so that it will last you for years to come. '

saw50st8

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:33 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
PinkFridge wrote:

I can't. I was hoping someone else would and open my mind.

There is always another side. For example: (warning, this is gross)

A child molestor was usually molested themselves. We learn by example more than anything (if you tell your children not to swear but swear like a sailor, they are going to swear also). So a kid is molested learns that its proper behavior. That's how they relate to others. Therefore, why would you punish them when its the way they have been taught?

Also, if you leave $100 outside on a public bench and someone takes it, that's not called stealing. So if you leave your child in a position where you aren't watching them, like that $100, another person has the ability to take it.

Life is about power. A molestor is just making use of his/her strengths to gain power over others. Some people use speech or money or influence. Others use complex feelings in the victims.

Finally, the "victims" often enjoy the "molesting" - if someone enjoys it, is it really wrong? Its like arresting a 17 year old boy for sleeping with his 15 year old girlfriend as "statutory rape"!

OK now I want to vomit.

hadasa

Post Tue, Oct 19 2010, 9:36 am
sky wrote:
Everyone should own a buggaboo

A stroller is something that will be used for all of your children and on a daily basis. A parent should invest into the comfort of their baby and the ease of their own commute. A buggaboo perfectly fits that bill like no other carriage. It accomadates babies in a carrycot, the most comfortable and safest position for a newborn and then grows with your child allowing the child to face the parent, allowing for bonding during errands, and to face the world, allowing you child to see clearly all that is going around. It provides the easiest push for parents and easily allows them to bump up and down stairs. The basket is large enough for typical errands.
If you are the type that has a defined sense of style then the bugaboo can be customized to your preference. The interior, exterior, and sunshade fabrics can be chosen to your specification.
some may argue that the price of a bugaboo is too steep for a carriage. But if you calculate how much a new carriage would cost for each of your children then the cost of the bugaboo is definetly the better value. The company will stand behind the product and replace any piece that may break so that it will last you for years to come. '
Are you getting paid for this?
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics