Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Homework battles

amother

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 8:50 am
Situation: DH has his kids for the weekend. 8 year old daughter apparently has homework. The mother emailed DH to tell him what needs to be done. the child is flat out disputing her mother's claims that she has homework, is refusing to do it, to the point of tears.

IF she goes home without the homework done, DH will get blamed for not taking the homework seriously even if the daughter tells her mom she refused. Another check-mark in the negatives column. If he/we insist she do it, she won't do anything but cry and be miserable and throw a tantrum and use this to say she never wants to come again.

What do we do? Can't win either way I guess....

granolamom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 7:31 am
can the girl respond to the email clarifying with her mom what needs (or doesnt need) to be done? if truly there is homework and she's refusing to do it, its one of those things, you either pick the battle or not and take responsibility for the consequences (pick it and she threatens/tantrums, don't pick it and a check mark in the negative column).
but first you've got to find out for certain what the real deal is with the assignment.

honestly, sounds like a typical powerstruggling 8 yo to me. possibly with a bit of anger thrown in

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 12:43 pm
Call the mother while you have the girl (and DH). That way you can avoid He said, She said disputes. Don't they have homework diary from school?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children