Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Mama Bear: I like this
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:17 pm
Tamiri wrote:
GR wrote:
Tamiri, you have a bunch of adult boys. Of course they want more.
They haven't always been adults. And no one here is a big fresser, at all.
I've always cooked much more than what I'm reading - very "frum" people too LOL ! I used to cook so much that I threw out 50% of what I made - maybe more! I BH learned over the years to cook more in proportion to what we are going to eat but I thought "everyone" went meshugga cooking for Shabbat. I just don't have the koach to do it anymore. I've totally simplified, and the food does get eaten, and it doesn't take me 2 days of cooking but: it's boring.

I guess we're just big eaters then. LOL

I don't do meshugga cooking, it's the kids in the way while I'm trying to cook that makes me meshugga.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:17 pm
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Wait... and what about clean up? Do you polish the kitchen when you are done cooking? That's part of the cooking time as well, in my book.
my clean-up time isn't incl. - add a lot more for dishes, counter, floor, etc - I didn't say I was ready for Shabbos in 2 -3 hours, only that I could do the cooking in that time! I do try to clean as I go, though.
I guess I could do it in 3 without clean up. I don't know: I wish it took less. But it's never just a one-day affair. It's either the meat being done the day before so I can slice it cold; making the soup a day or two in advance so I can skim it. Stuff like that. I never used to think I'm slow but maybe I am. I try to use as few pots/pans as possible so I can just rinse and reuse rather than shlepping out a bunch of stuff from the cabinets and having to wash them all and put them away. If I stick around Imamother long enough, I'm sure I'll get my times down LOL

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:25 pm
Tamiri, hot fresh potato kugel is food Smile. and after a bowl of hot soup with lukshen I dont have room for lots of food.

sarahd I serve cold cuts friday night alongside the boiled chicken from the soup. I dont get flaishig shabbos afternoon so I can have a coffee after my nap, so I eat theh cold cuts friday night.

kitov

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:37 pm
This is why we so LOVE when yom tov is on Shabbos, less menu planning, the dishes are the same....

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:39 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Tamiri, hot fresh potato kugel is food Smile. and after a bowl of hot soup with lukshen I dont have room for lots of food.

sarahd I serve cold cuts friday night alongside the boiled chicken from the soup. I dont get flaishig shabbos afternoon so I can have a coffee after my nap, so I eat theh cold cuts friday night.
MB do most people in your circles eat like this? I've never known such simple Shabbat meals. Would you keep it like this as your boys and IYH your family grow?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:45 pm
I have seen many simple shabbes in all kinds of circles. Often the same or similar food every time. I personally don't mind something in common but please NOT every shabbes the same like in my house, the beef roast and the American potatoes LOL I still get nauseated thinking about it, BH I met dh LOL

Btw many of those who do fancy take out.

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:46 pm
Is this menu a Chassidish thing?

I used to go to a Satmar friend for Shabbos all the time, and this is basically a variation of their menu. I loved the food and was always completely full by the time we ate the soup.

During the week a large piece of salmon and soup is a meal - so adding ample amounts of challah and dips/spreads is more than enough.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:51 pm
yep tamiri and defygravity. cuz every food has remazim and meshalim and minhagim and yada yada yada. I dont view this as simple, it's quite a full meal!

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:52 pm
I think more or less, chasidish eat 'traditional foods' at Shabbos meals, which is usually fish, soup and chicken/meat at night and fish, eggs (sometimes liver) and cholent for lunch.

There are variations, such as farfel, kneidel, lukshen, etc...

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:53 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
yep tamiri and defygravity. cuz every food has remazim and meshalim and minhagim and yada yada yada. I dont view this as simple, it's quite a full meal!
Okay, where do I sign up to get converted? I'm Jewish with documentation: can I turn Satmer on Shabbatot?

kitov

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:54 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

My son has each week on his torah tzetel a reasoning for each of our traditional foods. I think it starts next week or so. I can post it as he brings them home, it could make for some interesting discussions. He brings explanations on foods as simple as lukshen and as elaborate as 6 strand challahs.

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:54 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Okay, where do I sign up to get converted? I'm Jewish with documentation: can I turn Satmer on Shabbatot?
Sure. You can be 'plain chasidish' as well. LOL

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:55 pm
kitov wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

My son has each week on his torah tzetel a reasoning for each of our traditional foods. I think it starts next week or so. I can post it as he brings them home, it could make for some interesting discussions. He brings explanations on foods as simple as lukshen and as elaborate as 6 strand challahs.

Yes! Please do post it weekly. We need SOURCES Twisted Evil!!!

kitov

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:56 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
kitov wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Yes! Please do post it weekly. We need SOURCES Twisted Evil!!!

HA HA! (You are one big fatso letz hee hee)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:56 pm
There are many eidot where the shabbes food is very traditional, and not necessarily varied. Often the (grand)children get more modern, or those whose parents were more modern get reactionary Twisted Evil

My dh's old cousin serves the perfect Jewish Italian food. But the daughter serves it Israelized already.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 3:59 pm
I serve so much less.
friday night
gefilte fish (made differently each time or bought) or fried fish or lox or tuna on a bed of lettuce
maybe some chummus and maybe some other dips
chicken
maybe a veg side and even less likely a starch side
We don't ever have company over friday night. As long as there's enough of what there is, it's enough.

shabbos day
eggs
at least 1 salad
the same chummus and maybe other dips
chulent

Obviously we have challah, too. My kids eat kiddush in shul, so they're usually not that hungry when they come home, but they eat the chulent anyway, so that would fill them up.

Sometimes we have dessert, but it would be store bought or a fruit of some sort.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 4:00 pm
My mother serves the same thing every week as do some of our family friends. I think it gets boring but then again, let's wait till I have a big family and get busier. The special things she saves for yom tov, it's a let less stressful that way.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 4:03 pm
Have any of you ladies ever seen a traditional Moroccan Shabbat? Dish after dish of home-made salatim on the table - the women I knew got up before dawn on Friday to start cooking. Very labor and time intensive - I know because I've done part of it (not the getting up before dawn). After the salatim, a plain main course of chicken and rice - that sort of thing for the day. For the night, there was the traditional cous-cous. Also labor intensive but it was made twice a week, Tuesdays and Friday for Shabbat so they were good at it.
Yemenites were so very plain. The first time I ate by a real yemenite family at night I was shocked: after netilat yadaim (they talk between netila and hamotzi), a plate of soup with everything already in it and then for dessert, garinim and nuts etc. A cup of tea maybe with a slice of cake next to it. Huh? That's Shabbos? I was shocked. In the day they have a big non-meat seuda with jachnun, eggs, salad then I guess fleish later on.
NOTHING like my Jewish American New Yawk not Chassidish/Yeshivish/Chariedi upbringing accustomed to to, continued to Israel with our Aliya.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 4:33 pm
this past shabbos lunch (no guests) we had challah w/ dips (chumus and spinach dip) and cholent and no one was hungry!!!! oh yeah, and a vegetable salad Smile
why do we need to always overeat??

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 4:35 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I serve so much less.
friday night
gefilte fish (made differently each time or bought) or fried fish or lox or tuna on a bed of lettuce
maybe some chummus and maybe some other dips
chicken
maybe a veg side and even less likely a starch side
We don't ever have company over friday night. As long as there's enough of what there is, it's enough.

shabbos day
eggs
at least 1 salad
the same chummus and maybe other dips
chulent

Obviously we have challah, too. My kids eat kiddush in shul, so they're usually not that hungry when they come home, but they eat the chulent anyway, so that would fill them up.

Sometimes we have dessert, but it would be store bought or a fruit of some sort.

that's the way to do it!!!
I serve more when I have guests, but usually not much Smile
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus