Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Mama Bear: I like this
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:50 pm
kitov wrote:
life'sgreat wrote:
kitov wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
yep tamiri and defygravity. cuz every food has remazim and meshalim and minhagim and yada yada yada. I dont view this as simple, it's quite a full meal!

My son has each week on his torah tzetel a reasoning for each of our traditional foods. I think it starts next week or so. I can post it as he brings them home, it could make for some interesting discussions. He brings explanations on foods as simple as lukshen and as elaborate as 6 strand challahs.

Yes! Please do post it weekly. We need SOURCES Twisted Evil!!!

HA HA! (You are one big fatso letz hee hee)

Yeh. The fatso part is true. Twisted Evil

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:51 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Have any of you ladies ever seen a traditional Moroccan Shabbat? Dish after dish of home-made salatim on the table - the women I knew got up before dawn on Friday to start cooking. Very labor and time intensive - I know because I've done part of it (not the getting up before dawn). After the salatim, a plain main course of chicken and rice - that sort of thing for the day. For the night, there was the traditional cous-cous. Also labor intensive but it was made twice a week, Tuesdays and Friday for Shabbat so they were good at it.
Yemenites were so very plain. The first time I ate by a real yemenite family at night I was shocked: after netilat yadaim (they talk between netila and hamotzi), a plate of soup with everything already in it and then for dessert, garinim and nuts etc. A cup of tea maybe with a slice of cake next to it. Huh? That's Shabbos? I was shocked. In the day they have a big non-meat seuda with jachnun, eggs, salad then I guess fleish later on.
NOTHING like my Jewish American New Yawk not Chassidish/Yeshivish/Chariedi upbringing accustomed to to, continued to Israel with our Aliya.

My mother in law, of Hungarian/Israeli stock makes fresh salatim every single week, her own gefilte fish and many other such stuff.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 5:52 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Tamiri, hot fresh potato kugel is food Smile. and after a bowl of hot soup with lukshen I dont have room for lots of food.

sarahd I serve cold cuts friday night alongside the boiled chicken from the soup. I dont get flaishig shabbos afternoon so I can have a coffee after my nap, so I eat theh cold cuts friday night.
MB do most people in your circles eat like this? I've never known such simple Shabbat meals. Would you keep it like this as your boys and IYH your family grow?

Yes.
And its funny cause before joining imamother I never knew that there were so many frum yidden who eat such a variety of different foods on shabbos. I thought everyone basicly has the same menu. We hardly ever ate out on shabbos, besides by family.

So yeah, it might be boring but we dont mind it.
And we fill up on the challa, fish and dips, and the rest of the meal everyone just takes a tiny portion to be yotzei.

Last edited by Mrs. XYZ on Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

overworked

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 6:38 pm
my shabbos meal
friday night
fresh challah
homemade tomato dip
egg plant babagunash
salmon & gifilta fish
soup lukshin & knaidlech fresh weekly
bake chicken
farfel
poato kugel
lukshin kugel on shabbos mevarchim
homemade compot

shabbos morning
challah
dips
fish
eggs with liver
cholent

everything fresh weekly no freezer for me

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 6:43 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Tamiri, hot fresh potato kugel is food Smile. and after a bowl of hot soup with lukshen I dont have room for lots of food.

sarahd I serve cold cuts friday night alongside the boiled chicken from the soup. I dont get flaishig shabbos afternoon so I can have a coffee after my nap, so I eat theh cold cuts friday night.
MB do most people in your circles eat like this? I've never known such simple Shabbat meals. Would you keep it like this as your boys and IYH your family grow?

Yes.
And its funny cause before coming on imamother I never knew that there were so many frum yidden who eat such a variety of different foods on shabbos. I thought everyone basicly has the same menu. We hardly ever ate out on shabbos, besides by family.

Same here Smile

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 6:54 pm
I also thought everyone ate the same as I do, but I soon realized that some people eat what I consider Y"T meals every week.

My Shabbos menu

Challah (baked fresh every other week - so 1 week fresh 1 frozen)
Gefilte Fish
Soup with Knaidles (in the winter)
Meat dish
Potato kugel (usually)
Franks in Blankets (for the kids)
Salad
Dessert

Challah
Eggs
Salad
Cholent
Cold Cuts (sometimes if we remember to buy)
Dips (also if someone remembers to buy - mostly when we have company)
Dessert

Edited to add: Everything is made fresh except the challah every other week. Wink and it also only takes me about 1 hour to make except soup that cooks all thursday afternoon.

Last edited by mominlkwd on Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 6:56 pm
overworked wrote:

everything fresh weekly no freezer for me

Hence your name - overworked!

Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:13 pm
Maya wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

Yes.
And its funny cause before coming on imamother I never knew that there were so many frum yidden who eat such a variety of different foods on shabbos. I thought everyone basicly has the same menu. We hardly ever ate out on shabbos, besides by family.

Same here Smile

Me three.

I serve basically the same as MB and the rest of the clan.

Challah-big batch and take out from freezer
gefilte fish and salmon
tomato dip-eggplant and some others
chicken soup-lukshen-kneidle (big batch and freeze)
chicken (from soup or bbq or pan broiled)
farfel
potato kugel, lukshen kugel-big batch and freeze raw
liver
cole slaw or tomato salad
compote (huge pot and freeze in small containers)

challah
dips
same fish as friday night
eggs
liver
salad
cholent
compote

The only thing I"m missing is a bigger freezer Smile !

Last edited by Marigold on Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

mominlkwd

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:17 pm
Paddington Bear, how does the potato kugel taste after it was frozen?? I've wanted to try freezing it raw for a while but I'm nervous it will have that watery freezer taste. Do you cook it straight out of the freezer or let it defrost first?

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:34 pm
mominlkwd wrote:
Paddington Bear, how does the potato kugel taste after it was frozen?? I've wanted to try freezing it raw for a while but I'm nervous it will have that watery freezer taste. Do you cook it straight out of the freezer or let it defrost first?

I freeze baked potato kugel and add water when warming it up. I bake it on about 400 and it gets crispy and tastes fresh.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:35 pm
You should know that we love the traditional shabbos foods. My family really looks forward to it. Dh loves the extra fine noodles in the soup and what is better then a fresh bowl of chicken soup with chic peas and some squash in it. Eating it once a week doesn't make it boring at all. During the week when we make a variety of dinner meals the kids put up a fuss if it's something unfamiliar. Each meal contains of a good few dishes and different dips/kugals as is so it really isn't boring. We have guest a lot and one family in particular always asks if we have homemade challah and jelly in the gefilta fish(as opposed to it remaining liquid). You should see them licking the plates clean. I do end the meal usually with some good dessert.

Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:39 pm
mominlkwd wrote:

Actually I only freeze the lukshen kugel raw and then bake it. The potato kugel we get fresh every week, piping hot and delicious-courtesy of mine mama Smile !

However I've seen on here (in the past) many posters saying that they freeze raw batches so maybe someone else can answer you. I don't need very much (3-4 slices tops) so it's not worth it for me to patchke every week!

Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 7:44 pm
life'sgreat wrote:
mominlkwd wrote:

I freeze baked potato kugel and add water when warming it up. I bake it on about 400 and it gets crispy and tastes fresh.

There's your answer.

I know my mother sometimes does this. She usually doesn't have a morsel left (she makes one mean kugel) but on the occasion that she has leftovers, she will freeze it and rewarm it this way!

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 8:00 pm
I 'overnight' my potato kigel for about 5 hours on Friday afternoon and it's so heavenly not a morsel is left over by friday night lol

Paddington you get get a 4 cu.ft. freezer at all Home appliances, it's not expensive and hardly takes up room.

Marigold

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 8:04 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I 'overnight' my potato kigel for about 5 hours on Friday afternoon and it's so heavenly not a morsel is left over by friday night lol

Paddington you get get a 4 cu.ft. freezer at all Home appliances, it's not expensive and hardly takes up room.

No space for a 4 cu.ft or a 2 cu for that matter.

saw50st8

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 8:10 pm
When we have no company, we keep things VERY simple. Usually roast chicken, rice and a vegetable in one pot. Either challah or matzah depending on how busy the week was and if we were able to pick up.

Shabbos lunch is either the above cold or cholent.

If we have company I go way overboard LOL.

bwaybabe85

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 8:34 pm
I basically second everything saw50st8 said. When it's just the two of us, for friday night we have either salmon or baked chicken with rice and/or a veggie side. Shabbos lunch is the same as the night before or cholent! And a package of mini challah rolls stay in the freezer and last us a good month. But when we have guests, I cook a lot!!!

Avrahamamma

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 10:55 pm
We also have pretty much the same shabbat menu

pita/laffa/persian bread
fish usually a whole whitefish type baked with tomato lemon saffron garlic
baked/roasted chicken but I mix it up each week with the seasonings/marinades our favorite is the peruvian style
israeli salad
homemade chummus
roasted vegetable - peppers, hot peppers, onions, garlic
either mashed pot. roasted potato or basmati rice
we don't eat dessert usually but for when we do - ices or fruit.

lunch is almost always milchig and usually cold although I would like to learn to make iraqi tebeet for my husband
pita
shabbat eggs
fried eggplant
yogurt with cucumber and mint and shallots
feta cheese
israeli salad
pickles
cookies

all this still takes me all day! I guess its because I find myself in and out of the kitchen instead of spending just 2 hours straight in the kitchen. I'd like to mix it up but I hate wasting food and I'm guaranteed no leftovers with this menu.

Avrahamamma

Post Sun, Oct 24 2010, 10:59 pm
but if I could sit in the kitchen all day. I would make a traditional persian shabbat or an iraqi shabbat. maybe I should just give it a shot one week and see if there are ways to simplify the process.

DREAMING

Post Mon, Oct 25 2010, 12:17 am
anyone else serve mayerin friday night?
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus