Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Flatbreads for Shabos ?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:08 pm
Have you ever baked or bought such a thing for Shabbos? I saw one in the store and it's ... intriguing !

amother

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:11 pm
All the time.. Now, bh we always seems to get left-over bilkas, from chasanas, sheva brochas and simchas, but when times are tough, and we can get flatbreads for a dollar a packages instead of challah for 5$ we do...

Nomad

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:33 pm
amother, can you sue flatbread instead of challah for hamotzi? that would be great because we love them!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:48 pm
From what I know, you can use anything that's whole and hamotzei.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 12:56 pm
Are we talking crispy flatbreads (like crackers or matza) or lafa-style soft flatbread? If the former, Sephardim would consider them mezonot. Just like we can't use matza for hamotzi except for Pesach.

mommyofnineka

Post Thu, Oct 28 2010, 1:07 pm
I usually take a third of my challah dough and cook it on the stove top in a frying pan like a lafa. It is really yummy.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Oct 29 2010, 11:21 am
I'm assuming she means the laffa like flat bread. Even Ashkenazim make mezonot on the cracker flat breads.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Oct 30 2010, 4:12 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I'm assuming she means the laffa like flat bread. Even Ashkenazim make mezonot on the cracker flat breads.

You're right that makes sense. I was intrigued by using for shabbat bits. Sure, we do use pitot for hamotzi, and know many people who do that.

Rodent

Post Sat, Oct 30 2010, 5:53 pm
Often. It's fine for hamotzi on Shabbat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen