Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Report cards

amother

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 9:27 pm
I need to do comments ont he back of my student's report cards. Please give me some ideas what to write for students that do not keep quiet, is Chutzpadik, etc.. in class.

TIA

nicole81

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 9:38 pm
here are some of the comment options from the public school report cards:

inattentive
distractive influence in class
poor work habits
generally non-cooperative
uses inappropriate language
does not show self control
does not respect feelings, opinions, and property of others
does not obey school rules and regulations
has difficulty following directions
does not stay on task

amother

Post Tue, Nov 02 2010, 9:51 pm
Such great ideas - thank you,

willow

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 6:30 am
Remember to coach all criticism with praise.
Ex. Malkie is very vivacious and has a lot of opinions which is so nice to see in someone so young. We still need to work together to help Malkie respect the boundaries in the classroom when it is quiet time. I enjoy her lovely smile.

Sherri

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 7:05 am
willow wrote:
Ex. Malkie is very vivacious and has a lot of opinions which is so nice to see in someone so young. We still need to work together to help Malkie respect the boundaries in the classroom when it is quiet time. I enjoy her lovely smile.
Only if the praise is true.

willow

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 7:28 am
Naturally but everyone has good to say about them.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 10:29 am
I've used the terms "lively," "leibidig," and "often cannot contain her exuberance" to convey what you want. Often when there is little positive to find, you can find a project or sometihng that they put a lot of effort to do and praise that. "Great country report" or "showed patience with . . . "

Just please don't write on a 5th grade girls report card "turns in homework neatly" when it's not a child who has EVER had a problem turning in homework or doing it neatly. That's code for "I don't know what to say." I have also seen on a Kindergarten boy's report card "needs to learn not to cry so much." YIKES. Do they not know that the kids read the cards?

I also prefer "a pleasure to teach" rather than "a pleasure to have in class"

If you would like me to PM you with more specific examples, I have spreadsheets full of comments.

Peanut2

Post Wed, Nov 03 2010, 11:27 am
willow wrote:

That's a school rule here. And where possible (and it is always possible) "sandwich" the bad stuff between more positive statements like Willow did. Just for another example:
Dov works well independently and with his peers, and his work shows a excellent understanding of the material. We are still working on making appropriate and respectful choices and following directions. When Dov participates appropriately in classroom discussions his contributions are thoughtful and demonstrate his knowledge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics