Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Breakfast for picky eaters
1  2  Next

atlastamom

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 11:34 am
what do you feed your little kids for breakfast in the morning? My kids won't eat!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 12:26 pm
what do they like ?

sarah86

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 12:30 pm
My 19 month old DD is also a really picky eater. I give her scrambled eggs, pita, yogurt, banana bread made milchigs for the extra nutrition, carrot zucchinni bread, oatmeal (but made fresh, not instant). I also make pancakes and french toast on Sunday's and then freeze the leftovers. She also really likes corn and cheddar pancakes, basically mix canned corn and cheddar cheese into pancake batter. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 12:48 pm
sarah86 wrote:
My 19 month old DD is also a really picky eater. I give her scrambled eggs, pita, yogurt, banana bread made milchigs for the extra nutrition, carrot zucchinni bread, oatmeal (but made fresh, not instant). I also make pancakes and french toast on Sunday's and then freeze the leftovers. She also really likes corn and cheddar pancakes, basically mix canned corn and cheddar cheese into pancake batter. Hope this helps! Good luck!

How is she a picky eater if she eats all of these things you listed? I have two choices for each breakfast and lunch for my son.

imabima

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 1:29 pm
Maya wrote:
sarah86 wrote:

How is she a picky eater if she eats all of these things you listed? I have two choices for each breakfast and lunch for my son.

This poster in not OP.

I make pretty much the same things that you listed. Cereal and milk too. Cream of wheat with honey and cinnamon. Fruit and cottage cheese.

greeneyes

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 2:47 pm
My daughter is also really picky, especially at breakfast time. Most mornings I make her a smoothie since she'll usually drink that up. I blend some milk, a bit of yogurt sometimes, banana, strawberry, mango etc. with the handblender. I keep fruit cut up in the freezer so I can do it quickly. (Lately I started sneaking in a small amount of wheat germ to add a bit more nutrition & she hasn't complained. LOL)

I find that in general, giving her 2 different options to choose from is helpful.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 2:55 pm
Use the cereal boxes. Find the ones that have fun pictures/characters on them. My toddler, who refused to eat cereal for a while, finally started again when he saw a fun cereal box and wanted what was in it...

Maya

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 3:07 pm
imabima wrote:
Maya wrote:
sarah86 wrote:

This poster in not OP.

I make pretty much the same things that you listed. Cereal and milk too. Cream of wheat with honey and cinnamon. Fruit and cottage cheese.

I know that, but she said her daughter is also a very picky eater.

shnitzel

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 5:07 pm
My DD is not picky but she doesn't eat more than 2 bites of breakfast.
I just offer whatever DH and I are eating usually eggs or oatmeal and let her chose whether or not to eat. Some people just aren't hungry in the morning.
I think if you try hard to coerce a child to eat it makes them pickier, just offer and let the child chose.

mazelandbracha

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 6:17 pm
My picky kids like muffins and breads - like squash muffins, banana bread, etc. Now my oldest girls make them, not for picky so much as for quick breakfast on the way to carpool, but either way it works. Use ww flour, dried fruit, milk, or cheese to add nutrients.

pobody's nerfect

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 6:41 pm
I noticed that when my son used to have a bottle in his crib before breakfast, he wasn't interested in eating even an hour later. now that I cut out that milk, he gobbles up breakfast. which is almost always a banana and something starchy (this week he'll only eat animal crackers and cheerios- both of which he calls "cookie").

Mommy F.

Post Thu, Nov 04 2010, 6:59 pm
Try adding chocolate chips to yogurts

or chocolate syrup or whipped cream to pancakes or waffles

try to mix regular cheerios with different colored fruit loops

add m&m's to oatmeal

dip fruits into whip cream like strawberries, bluberries, peaches cut up, plums cut up

mix cottage cheese with apple sauce

mix peanut butter and jam with yogurt

mix frosted flakes with plain corn flakes

rice cakes with cheese

toast

greeneyes

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 11:02 am
homemade granola bars & muffins are also good options for picky eaters (make them more wholesome by using whole wheat flour, oats, wheat germ etc.)

paprika

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 12:54 pm
Rice crispies kugel worked for many picky eaters. Mix 2 eggs with rice crispies - enough to fill up the bowl and fry on both sides.

paprika

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 10:14 pm
Correction for rice crispies kugel - fry with a drop of oil in a non-stick 6" frying pan.

Basimcha

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 10:30 pm
My kids are quite picky, but they would eat oatmeal cereal or pizza sandwiches in the waffle machine.

pina colada

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 11:13 pm
my kids are picky eaters, they like
grilled cheese sandwiches in the sandwich maker
cream cheese sandwiches
scrambled eggs
omelettes

Ronit

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 11:55 pm
Another suggestion that works for me.

I cook oatbran with milk (no sugar), and the I mix in some chocolate chips as it's cooling.

life'sgreat

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 12:55 am
Picky eater's breakfast choices:

1 toasted, buttered bread
1 toasted cream cheese bread
2 eggs sunny side up (he only eats the runny yolks)

Every. Single. Morning.

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 9:15 am
You don't have to give them "breakfast food" for breakfast.
What do they eat for lunch/snacks/dinner? Give them some of that. As long as they eat something nutritious...

My kids also love fruitshakes...milk, yogurt, fresh or frozen fruit and then u can add in some oatmeal or wheatgerm, baby cereals etc. (add some fresh spinach- they won't even taste it!)

Another good and filling smoothie is banana/avocado/milk (I add a bit of honey)

Check out www.weelicious.com for some great healthy ideas. I love her site!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics