Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Jewish Mothers in Medicine Forum Creation
1  2  3  Next

IndyMom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:28 am
Hey everyone,

I used to be a frequent poster on this site but ever since I started medical school I find I do not have time for many of the things I used to have time for.

I wanted to form a kind of support group for Jewish mothers in medicine. We have our own specific challenges that are not like other work force challenges. Some of the ones that come to the top of my head are shabbos and residency (it is not always possible to find a shomer shabbat residency) and explaining to children why mommy needs to work on shabbos, hair covering at the hospital, and for the medical students at least, no time to be part of the Jewish community since the studying is never ending. Lastly a huge one for me, ethical issues in America - when Jewish ethics and western ethics do not agree (I.e. end of life care - withholding hydration and nutrition as a standard of care.)

Anyway, if any of you are interested in having our own support group, I can contact the admin to start a room for us to post on. I do not think this needs to be limited to medical students/physicians since nurses and other healthcare professionals have many of the same challenges. I am coming from the medical student perspective but many perspectives are needed to make the forum interesting.

So, just respond here and we will see how it goes.

Thanks,
IndyMom

Last edited by IndyMom on Sun, Nov 07 2010, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

chmom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 10:45 am
I think this is an excellent idea. I graduated medical school in 1994 and at this point am facing different problems pertaining to getting a licence to practice in a country other than the one I got accredited by.
I'd love to be able to chat about our varying challenges.
Hope to talk to you soon

dlj

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 11:49 am
Excellent idea

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 2:29 pm
I think that's very nice !

IndyMom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 2:35 pm
Chmom,

Which country did you get your degree in and which country are you trying to transfer it to? I am planning on making aliyah at some point so I am also thinking about those things.

Indymom Smile

chmom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:15 pm
I got my degree in Switzerland and am trying to transfer it to Canada, which has been a pure nightmare.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 3:59 pm
It is a great idea. I am an MD-PhD student.

I would add that on the website I started to help foster entrance of Jewish Women in the science fields there is a forum with areas for all different health professions. Right now it is mostly used by posters with very specific questions but it is just waiting for a nice group of active posters to make it their home and start other discussions. It can be found here:
http://jawscience.webs.com/apps/forums/

While our mentoring program is pretty popular, the forum is still waiting for the right group of active posters to bring the rest out of the woodwork.

MommyZ

Post Mon, Nov 08 2010, 4:28 pm
I think it sounds like a great idea. Maybe once I start nursing school I can join? I'm still finishing up pre-reqs Smile.

rivka6

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:05 am
Another vote for yes, let's. MD since 1985.love to share. In addition, it"h, my DH and I will make Skylab in4-5 years and I would love to start discussing this big change.
By the way, I did sign up at JAWS, but so far, it seems all about mentoring, which I am doing, but imamother would make a great place for a "community" of us.

rivka6

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:07 am
Whoops!!! That's alyiah not Skylab! The spell check on my iPhone has an odd sense of humor. Unless I am using a Skylab to make alyiah.

hila

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:09 am
rauw wrote:
Another vote for yes, let's. MD since 1985.love to share. In addition, it"h, my DH and I will make Skylab in4-5 years and I would love to start discussing this big change.

Skylab ?? as in space travel ??

baba

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 8:26 am
What about those of us married to one?
I know it's not the same, but we're facing similar challenges. (Like coping without dh on shabbes, his crazy schedule, etc)

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:08 am
hila wrote:
rauw wrote:

Skylab ?? as in space travel ??

I was get really excited to hear about that too.

Well, aliyah is exciting too!

JAWSCIENCE

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:10 am
baba wrote:
What about those of us married to one?
I know it's not the same, but we're facing similar challenges. (Like coping without dh on shabbes, his crazy schedule, etc)

Well, I am also married to a future Dr. (I cannot wait for the day we get invited to things as Dr. & Dr. so and so). And yeah, I definitely hear that spouses need support too. The wives/husbands in our building often express this.

rivka6

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 9:11 am
Alyiah is exciting. But a Skylab.... Wonder if they will serve glott kosher? And shabbos while orbiting? I'll stick to alyiah, that's complicated enough!

IndyMom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:01 pm
Good, I am glad to meet you all. I will email the admin to set up a forum for us. Is it still Yael? It has been a really long time since I have emailed her.

PS: I also want to make aliyah - that will definitely have to be a thread. As in, how the heck do we transfer our credentials, and when is the best time to go, and how do we get one of those setups where our families can come visit the grandparents in America for 2 months while we work at a US hospital.

I am so excited about this! Smile

realeez

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 7:27 pm
Wow! Hatzlacha to all of you! DH after 9+ years of marriage finally finished residency and we can now breathe again! His interview was 2 weeks before our wedding and he got his acceptance to med school the week we found out I was pregnant with baby #1! I'm glad to be on this side of the fence BH!

ihyphenated

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 10:17 pm
oo add me in too! I'm also an MD/PhD student. really psyched!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 11:59 pm
Yes! It would be GREAT to hear from other frum med students/doctors...

IndyMom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2010, 6:37 pm
I am currently working on a masters in medical ethics while I am in medical school. I am having a really hard time writing my paper for my first course. They want me to discuss a topic in medical ethics and argue a position. The problem is, I am very engrossed in Jewish medical ethics and I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the premises of western medical ethics. For instance, arguing about end of life care without using sources from the gemara and relying just on the four principles (autonomy, beneficence, do no harm, and justice). Can any of you give me an idea of what to write about or how to approach it? I feel a complete writers block right now.

Thanks Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics