Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Remodeling kitchen-what to include?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:15 pm
we're imyh moving to a new house and I have the opportunity to redesign the entire kitchen.... I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on what to include. I have the basics such as 2 sinks, 2 ovens etc. but Im looking for more ideas (things I wouldnt necessarily think of) ...

Also, for those "crunchy" mamas out there - if you have any thoughts of what to include in the remodel - such as water filters, recycling bins etc.

All ideas are welcome !
thanks Smile

ps - if youre wondering why I chose to remain anon - its because we're keeping the move quiet till its actually happening Smile

saw50st8

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:20 pm
2 dishwashers! Really, everyone I speak to says it changes their lives.

If the kitchen is big, multiple trash pullouts.

I highly recommend going to ths.gardebweb.com - there is a wealth of information on there.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:22 pm
An island is the best thing. Make sure you have a big pantry with pull out shelves.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:32 pm
thanks the ideas ---
that website you included doesnt work..... can you re-send the url ?

thanks!

Maya

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:36 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
2 dishwashers! Really, everyone I speak to says it changes their lives.

I agree. We just moved to a house with a dishwasher, the first time ever that I have one. It's absolutely wonderful!

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:41 pm
get all of your sinks filtered
make your cabinets accessable, not too high
if you have floor cabinets and little kids, make sure that you are able to lock them
if you recycle a lot, you can make a pullout for that too

saw50st8

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:44 pm
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/

I also recommend mainly drawers instead of doors with pullouts. That's only one motion to get t things instead of two.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:45 pm
so better for pots to be in drawers as opposed to cabinets with shelves? Any tips on lids ?

yummymummy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:52 pm
I am soooooooo jealous!

OK, now that I got that out of my system, have you considered those refrigerator drawers? They're supposed to reduce traffic to the fridge and help your food last longer.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:58 pm
Lid storage can be vertical or on the pots themselves.

Think about workflow and storage. Make sure you have drawers for milk, meat, and pareve (if you have pareve). Drawers are generally better than shelves for pot storage, but you can't make a drawer taller. Bottom freezer fridges work better ergonomically for most (not all) people.

A command center in the kitchen can be a big asset if it is well-planned. Where will you plan menus, store cookbooks, pay bills, keep keys and catalogs and school info and all the stuff that accumulates into small mountains so very quickly?

A computer center is really nice in a large kitchen, especially if your kids use the computer -- it's a public area where you can monitor what they're doing.

Plan a place for cleaning supplies, and broom/mop/vaccuum.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

yummymummy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 4:58 pm
amother wrote:
so better for pots to be in drawers as opposed to cabinets with shelves? Any tips on lids ?

Personally I prefer cabinets with pull out shelves for pots and they make special racks for lids but I don't think those have to be built in.

Have you checked out the KraftMaid site? I enjoy browsing through just for fun.

Also, I'm not sure how big your space is or if you have a separate pesach kitchen but I have seen people build in an extra cabinet for their pesach stuff so they don't have the hassle of packing it away and storing it every year. You could even build the cabinets to the ceiling and use the too high too reach cabinets for pesach storage.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:04 pm
I built a Pesach closet in my breakfast room to hold my Pesach supplies. In my kitchen design business, I have designed a few Pesach kitchens -- but you need to have the space for it, and sometimes the available spots aren't so convenient.

QUEENY

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:05 pm
Make sure you have enough sockets and an Island with cabinets.

NativeMom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 5:27 pm
The one thing that I would include other than the basic 2 of everything is a little compartment directly under each sink to keep sponges/gloves so they stay hidden but are still able to dry after use.

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:24 pm
I am also planning a kitchen right now and the things that I am having installed that are different ...
1- a switch for the stove top so I can turn off the electricity on yomtov.
2- sink is not by the window so there is a cabinet above the sink. we are cutting out the bottom of the cabinet and installing a rack so I can drip dry directly into the sink
3-putting a small barsink in the dining room so we dont have to wash in the kitchen with guests

the normal things that I am doing are
-garbage disposal in both sinks
-we are doing I full size dishwasher for meat and a double dishdraw milk/parve - I know its over kill but I hate doing dishes
-when we were thinking of having the stove top in the island we were going to put the sink right nearby so we could use the sprayer to fill pots, but we changed our mind on stovetop in the island so now its by a wall.
-I have lots of baking pans/cookie sheets so I am making sure to have place to put them, but not getting specific cabinets for it, bec it is expensive. we will modify the cabinets on our own.
-I also use plastic silverware a lot so I am making sure to have a draw for them near the dining area

trying to decide on stovetop double oven combo or do what I saw the duggers have in their kitchen - they had two regular stoves side-by-side.
the two ovens are cost effective, but I really wanted a high heat stove top and want my kitchen to look mainstream for resale value, not sure which way to go...

sorry no caps, the keyboard is broken

mfb

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:30 pm
I moved into my apt. with a ready kitchen and there is one thing that really bothers me my cabinets that are double doors have a peice of wood going down in between the 2 doors so it is hard to manuver large items into and out of them, also make sure the drawers are deep enough I cant keep my soup ladle or potato masher in the cutlery drawer since its to shallow good luck

yummymummy

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:31 pm
JC wrote:

-when we were thinking of having the stove top in the island we were going to put the sink right nearby so we could use the sprayer to fill pots, but we changed our mind on stovetop in the island so now its by a wall.

You could install a pot filler faucet above your stove

amother

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:38 pm
wow wow ! these are all wonderful ideas .....
I am writing them ALL down Smile

life'sgreat

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:

I had both and prefer the drawers over the pull out shelves anytime. It's way easier IMO.

JC

Post Sun, Nov 07 2010, 7:54 pm
yummymummy wrote:
JC wrote:

You could install a pot filler faucet above your stove

yes, but pot fillers are very expensive, making sure the sink sprayer could reach the stove would have saved sooo much money.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen