Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Present for a baby sitter

amother  

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 3:14 pm
Do you get your babysitter presents for Jewish holidays and if yes, what and for which holidays?

I have a sem girl help me for a couple of hours a day, she is very very sweet and nice to my kids! And she didn't dump me because of my messy house.

I got her some small cosmetics set for Rosh ha Shana, and I wonder if it was too much or too little, so what do other people do?

Mrs Bissli  

Post Tue, Nov 09 2010, 5:27 pm
I presume you're referring to a Jewish babysitter, as it's hard for me to imagine giving gifts to non-Jewish sitter on Jewish holidays. Our nanny gets days off on yomtov (ok, maybe a couple of hours in the afternoon at most when the kids used to be smaller), we give her nice x-mas gifts and standard cash bonus, also something small for her birthday.

I have given cosmetic sets (like the palette one with multiple eye shadows and multiple lipstick/glosses) before and it was well received. Other gifts were nice toiletary sets, scarves, purses, scented candles, house plants, picture frames, gift vouchers (Starbucks, book shops, department store, Apple stores) and some food items (chocolates, nice assortment of teas, biscuits). I usually mix a few not so expensive items. It really depends on the person's taste.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 10 2010, 4:03 am
OP,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, she is Jewish. I think I said she is a sem girl. Do you give for every holiday? I thought, twice a year is probably enough, maybe RhS and Pessach.. Or is Chanuka gift important, too?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 4:10 pm
Thanks for clarifying. I think twice a year is generous enough. Maybe you can let her leave a bit early or prepare a small gift for Chanuka but I don't think it's that important.

If she's a sem girl, I might consider some books or music CDs if you know what she may enjoy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette