Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Expensive Toddler Car Seats
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 10:11 am
What we decided to do with them is that we will give them what we would have paid for an average car seat and they will add money if they want something more expensive. They are going to do research and my dd does read this forum. She recently moved and may not be hooked up yet. She will
(I'Y'H") read all of your replies so that she can make a good decision. I looked online to see where the best prices are so that she can check those websites. BabyCenter had a good deal on a closeout carseat.

ChavieK

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 12:29 pm
BTW they now make infant carseats that go up to 30lbs. It is also ideal to keep the child rear facing as long as possible, some advice 18 months.

mumsy23

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 12:53 pm
ChavieK, it also depends on the weight. I think past 26 lbs the child must face foreword.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 10 2006, 1:13 pm
mumsy23 wrote:
ChavieK, it also depends on the weight. I think past 26 lbs the child must face foreword.

Nope. As long as the child is comfortable and the weight limit of the car seat can withstain the child rear facing, there is no guideline for when the child "must" switch. The longer the better, and I know one person that tells the people she installs car seats for that the child should be 30 lbs. before switching them to forward facing.

Shimmysmom

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 10:10 am
don't forget to take the height limit into consideration though.
my son outgrow his infant seat at 4 months b/c of his height!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 11 2006, 11:13 am
Shimmysmom wrote:
don't forget to take the height limit into consideration though.
my son outgrow his infant seat at 4 months b/c of his height!

I recently read a book that said on average children outgrow the infant car seat when they are 6 months because the weight limit is 29 lbs.
I was a bit taken aback till I finally realized it was probably a typo and they meant the height limit is 29"!
(BTW, this was the free book I got from State Farm last week that was mentioned on another thread. Thanks to whoever mentioned it!)
(My 13 month old is just approaching 29" though now, but we're a short family, so I don't know average).

ceo

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 7:21 pm
I am jumping in on this thread very late. Just wanted to add this:

I had my carseat (a Britax Roundabout ) installed by a Child Passenger Tech at a local hospital. She told me that as long as long as a car seat meets safety ratings, then it's fine. (YOu can check that online- seatcheck.org should have links). The most important thing is that you use your car seat correctly: it should be installed properly and your child, in theory should be rear-facing until the rear-facing weight limit. Most car seats allow your child to sit rear facing until 30 or 33 lbs. What you're spending money for is other bells and whistles. For instance, our britax is very easy to install and even easier to adjust the straps. My parents have one of the less-expensive Evenflos( not the Titan) and it is a royal pain to adjust the harness. but the car seat is just as safe as the Britax. The Britax is also much plusher than the Evenflo, but again, that's not a safety issue.

Another thing, Britax has very cute fabrics, so you're also paying for design. Anyone who tells you that "you must" have a Britax has not done their research!

Chanie

Post Wed, Sep 13 2006, 9:21 pm
ChavieK wrote:
BTW they now make infant carseats that go up to 30lbs. It is also ideal to keep the child rear facing as long as possible, some advice 18 months.

oh my! My son is 22 months old and he weighed 22 lbs. this week with his shoes and jacket. I finally took him out of the infant carseat when he was 16 months old because he was too long for it... his feat were hitting the seat. According to this weight limit he's be there till he's 3.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 14 2006, 10:22 am
Chanie wrote:
ChavieK wrote:

oh my! My son is 22 months old and he weighed 22 lbs. this week with his shoes and jacket. I finally took him out of the infant carseat when he was 16 months old because he was too long for it... his feat were hitting the seat. According to this weight limit he's be there till he's 3.

There are limits for height and weight, so I'm sure he would have (probably did) outgrow it by now Smile

Even my small son outgrew the height of his infant seat by 1.

But I do know a 3 year old still rear-facing because he isn't 30 lbs. yet, and it's safer, but I think he's being switched now that there are 2 under him rear facing, that it's kind of hard to fit 3 rear facing car seats in a 5 seat car!

realeez

Post Tue, Sep 26 2006, 7:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I recently read a book that said on average children outgrow the infant car seat when they are 6 months because the weight limit is 29 lbs.
I was a bit taken aback till I finally realized it was probably a typo and they meant the height limit is 29"!

Chani wrote:

A lot of the carseats that went up to 26" don't last long. My dd was 30 inches at 1 year and she is considered a nice height. Also, I was discussing this w/ my ped and a car seat "expert" who said that the feet going over the edge of the carseat is NOT a problem! it is if the baby's head is over the top - that is dangerous!!! if you see pictures of 5 years old still rear facing, they sit cross legged!

edit to fix the quotes[/quote]

Last edited by realeez on Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 27 2006, 10:32 am
mommyabc123 wrote:
. Also, I was discussing this w/ my ped and a car seat "expert" who said that the feet going over the edge of the carseat is NOT a problem! it is if the baby's head is over the top - that is dangerous!!! if you see pictures of 5 years old still rear facing, they sit cross legged!

That's correct. No danger, but your kid might refuse to sit rear-facing because he's uncomfortable Smile The head being too hgih is a problem because there is no support for it in case of a collision, CH"V.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics