Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
In my dream I thought of a name for my baby

amother

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 10:21 pm
This is so strange but I know they say parents really have intuition about their childs name.
I had this dream last night that I named my child, a girl, a female version of my husbands name. In my dream I wasnt even thinking that it was my husbands name - I actually thought more that it was similar to my sisters childs name (instead of ending in "elle" I ended it in "ella"). SO like Ari/Ariella - Arielle.
And it was so real - and I loved the name!
DH said no way when I told him this morning but I cant stop thinking about it.

louche

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 10:36 pm
That your dh objects is reason enough not to do it, even if it didn't sound as if you were naming her after him, which it would be even though you think otherwise. As you know, Ashkenazic Jews do not name children after living people, and to do so is considered almost as if you were wishing the older person dead. Ch"V. Granted it's all cultural, and in certain communities such as Temanim, it's considered an honor to name a child after a living relative. But unless that's the custom in your family, don't even THINK of doing it.

My guess is you're imagining your dd will be a diminutive version of your dh. IOW, your hubby is Ari, your dd will be just like him, and so she'll be an Arielle, or little Ari.

Now just because YOU think you'll call your dd Arielle, well, guaranteed her friends will call her Ari for short, and I can see why her dad would object. Strenuously.

Get your hands on some baby-naming books and find something else. Preferably something that doesn't sound remotely like dh name.

yummymummy

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 10:40 pm
maybe you were reading about Will Smith and his daughter Willow or his wife Jada and their son Jaden before going to bed?

amother

Post Mon, Nov 15 2010, 10:42 pm
Hahaha
I have no clue why I had this dream but you are right - name crossed off the list for sure.....

amother

Post Tue, Nov 16 2010, 9:08 pm
early on in my pregnancy before I knew what I was having I dreamed of naming after my great grandfather and how people were telling me that its the right thing to do, I did want that name.

I just found out I'm having a girl.

go figure
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names