Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Yogurt in israel

amother

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 7:12 pm
I will be going to israel and will need yogurt for my baby.

Here in America I feed her YoBaby.

I know there are many types of yogurts in israel and I'm trying to just make the "search" easier for myself.

I am looking for a yogurt that is high in fat, low in sugar, and if possible organic.

which yogurt would I want to buy.

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
I will be going to israel and will need yogurt for my baby.

Here in America I feed her YoBaby.

I know there are many types of yogurts in israel and I'm trying to just make the "search" easier for myself.

I am looking for a yogurt that is high in fat, low in sugar, and if possible organic.

which yogurt would I want to buy.

When you say "high in fat," what do you mean? Is 3% okay? Or do you want something more rich?

Strauss makes a 3% "bio" yogurt that has no sugar and is good (imo). It's from their "Danona" line, blue & white package, sold in 8-packs, but can also be purchased separately. They also have a 1.5% version of this product in similar packaging. Note that they also make a sweetened "yogurt ma'adan" in very similar packaging, so read the label carefully.

See the first group of photos on the left:

http://www.strauss-group.com/danone

http://www.strauss-group.com/P.....0x260

They also make a pricier Greek-style yogurt with a higher fat content, but it's not as obiquitous. It comes in individual round containers.

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 7:25 pm
Also, you can find specialty organic yogurts, including goats' milk yogurt, in health food stores.

Marion

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 10:25 pm
There are gemadim (definitely high fat), but they're definitely sweetened.

lst

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 11:22 pm
Marion wrote:

Im not sure gemadim are technically yogurts, I don't think they have any yogurt cultures in them. I think it's mostly gvina levana.

ewa-jo

Post Sat, Nov 27 2010, 11:37 pm
Strauss has 'Greek yogurt' which is 7% fat. It's plain, so you can add something to it if your baby doesn't eat plain yogurt. You get in it packs of 4. The packaging is blue and has a picture of a greek-looking woman on it.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 2:21 am
lst wrote:
Marion wrote:

Im not sure gemadim are technically yogurts, I don't think they have any yogurt cultures in them. I think it's mostly gvina levana.
Right. They are colored, sweetened, white cheese.
There are so many yogurts on offer in the big supermarkets. I can get goat, buffalo, sheep, organic - you name it. OP you will have fun looking for things here. I don't know that YoBaby is anything special, except that they get mommies to shell out extra $$$ for it being whole milk and organic. It's still cow's milk yogurt and I highly doubt the cow was free-range and grass-fed. Just my instinct. Anything you buy here that's whole milk and organic should be comparable.
My #5 was brought up on plain Danoneh 3% plain yogurt sucked up with a straw and he lived to tell the tale. No added color or sweeteners.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 7:02 am
thank you all.

I guess I'll have to wait and go to the market myself when I arrive.

I am not thrilled with the price of yobaby but I've been searching and there is nothing really comparable. Dannon in america that is not fat free/low fat has the same 4g per 4oz but a lot more sugar than yobaby, and any just basic organic yogurt (like what I buy for my older kids) is low fat, with only about 2g of fat in a serving of 7 oz.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 7:07 am
This is OT, but why are you giving a sweetened product at all?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions