Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Which HE detergent do you use (for HE washer)?

Amital

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 11:35 am
When our washer and dryer both went kaput 2 weeks ago, we moved on to HE super sized ones with steam (LG). YAY!

But now I'm stuck on HE detergent. I have a bunch of regular stuff left, but I think I can return it since it's in a sealed box. I need to pick up something else for use in an HE machine. I've always liked the scent--but not the price-- of Tide, but have been using Costco brand or All, regular versions.

I've been reading about HE detergent and have seen all sorts of other brands from Charlie's soap to Country Save to Bio-kleen (citrus sounds nice!). And the powder vs. liquid question comes back up--I was always a powder girl...

What do you use? What do you love? Any other additives?

shanie5

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 12:16 pm
I use my regular detergent-just a lot less of it. I get an allergic reaction to many detergents and am not willing to try any others.

mosma

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 12:26 pm
I use tide HE. I got it on amazon for cheap with free shipping. and I use dreft HE for my baby's clothes.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 12:29 pm
Kirkland HE fragrant free. It was rated really well by Consumer Reports.

Marigold

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 12:31 pm
Liquid ALL and Liquid WISK!

Amital

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 1:19 pm
Why powder vs. liquid?

Scented or not? I tend to like the scent, but then maybe that is just leftover, unrinsed soap?

Inexpensive is nice, and all things being equal (or close!), I would prefer something a little more "green."

saw50st8

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 1:23 pm
I've never used powder, that's why I use liquid :-)

We switched to scent free because DS reacted to the scents. That's all.

bigprincess

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 1:31 pm
I have a he washer and I use any detergent, doesn't have to be he.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 2:00 pm
I use whatever I see sold.

Amital

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 3:01 pm
I've heard about people just using less of a regular detergent--does that hurt the machine? I know to watch out for too many bubbles, but anything else?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 3:21 pm
Your clothes might not get clean enough, or the soap might not rinse wash out completely. When we got our machines, I used up the regular detergent that I already had, then bought the correct detergent, at the urging of our plumber.

Amital

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 6:34 pm
So...what kind of detergent? What works well and is decently priced? And liquid or powder CM? I'm curious to see what a professional would say. Online, It seems to be either.

bnm

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 7:27 pm
I once used regular detergent when I ran out of HE. it worked a few times but one night it made a million bubbles and gave me an error message

ccc

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 7:36 pm
Tide he for darks or delicates & tide he powder for whites & towels. Powder can cause fading of color
Luv downy ultra in 'spice blossom dare' made for he machine

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:10 pm
I used Tide last time (liquid) and loved it. Now I'm using All (it's a lot cheapter) but I can't stand the smell.

imeinu

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:20 pm
just got these machines myself, so I don't speak from experience, but the ppl in the appliance store told me powder or liquid HE are fine, yet many ppl in their experience have had trouble with the tide liquid - that it leaves an odor in the machine.
(sorry to hijack the thread but could anyone tell me if you are supposed to put in the detergent b4 or after the clothing, and with the door open or shut??)

Amital

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:30 pm
I don't put detergent in the washer basin. There is a separate drawer that you pull out and put all your chemicals into and it takes them as it goes. You can do either clothes or chemicals first, but definitely both before you turn on the machine. This is how all the HE (front loaders) I have used are.

For a non-HE top loader, I used to put in the powder first, then clothes.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 8:58 pm
Amital wrote:
So...what kind of detergent? What works well and is decently priced? And liquid or powder CM? I'm curious to see what a professional would say. Online, It seems to be either.

Liquid for sure, I'ved heard that powder builds up. I think we only get 2 kinds near us, they're both fine.

LadyG

Post Tue, Dec 07 2010, 9:48 pm
bigprincess wrote:
I have a he washer and I use any detergent, doesn't have to be he.

I thought so too, until I kept seeing suds past the rinse cycle. Now I use HE detergent, and there's no more suds.
So far, I buy whatever's on sale at Shoprite.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry