Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
How to run a playgroup

Avrahamamma

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:24 pm
I'm thinking of starting a playgroup, but don't know where to begin? From all you ganenets and imamother ...

1. How many hours a day do playgroups go?
2. How much do you pay per month?
3. Do you commit for the year, month, day?
4. Do you need a license in NY? Does it depend on how many children?
5. Anything I should know that I haven't asked?

All advice, experience, etc. greatly appreciated.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:59 pm
that's so funny because there was just another thread that went in this direction. I posted there.....

babysitting doesn't pay well but it could be really fun and rewarding.

you'd first get certified and then you'd get cpr certified, a criminal background check, get your home ready for inspection (I don't know if they inspect the whole house or just the area where you run the daycare), set up your paperwork systems and files, hire assistants, advertise, and start filling slots. I think the rules for home daycares though are a lot different than for commercial businesses---- the rules for how many kids of each age you can take vary state to state and you'll have to figure whether your own kids count in the tally.

----

now having said that, I think a "playgroup" isn't the same as a home daycare--- I THINK the expectation of a "playgroup" is fewer one on one activities and more group work--- circle time, everyone doing an art project together--- if it's a Jewish group- davening together, etc etc. I sent my daughter to something for a while that was a cross between the 2.... she did have structured times for various projects BUT we could commit to different hours each week if we wanted to and if our kid missed something, they missed something. TYPICALLY I think a playgroup runs very specific hours whereas a home daycare is 8 to 6 ish and some parents drop off just mornings and others do just afternoons and some do all day as long as you fill your slots.

----

I'm jealous---- I actually would LOVEEEEE to run a playgroup, but I feel I wouldn't be able to afford to make that amount of money---- (my husband doesn't make so much)--- I really need the flexibility of part time hours but good pay for those hours. In my next life though I think I'll do it. Smile Or if our financial situation ever changes. My kids (I only have 2) think I'm crazy sometimes when I say it's storytime or we're going to do an art project now....

amother

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 6:58 pm
first of all twinsmommy is correct if you want to go about becoming a licensed babysitter. if your interested in babysitting for a few kids. spread the word of mouth that your doing it. find out what the going rate is per hour in your area and charge that. have the parents supply diapers and other baby parafilia. you decide if your doing food. you have the potentional to earn good money babysitting. depends on how you do it. here if you have 5 kids (7 including your own) not to bad your making 20 bucks an hour. you than have to figure out taxes with your tax guy at the end of the year. good luck. its a great job if you have the patience. one of the issues is making sure your child is ok wiht him sharing his toys. I definalty recommand you taking another area and desginating toys just for him. I also just copied and pasted. one thing I recommand especially with playgroups is look into what the legal limits r and copy them. they usually make sense. I know where I live the ratio is very normal on the toher hand the babysitting ratio is NUTS. good luck.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 8:09 pm
what does that mean to COPY the legal limit? She'd have to be at the limit or under it, so what does it mean to copy it?

what do you mean the ratio is very normal but the babysitting ratio is nuts? by babysitting you mean the ratio for BABIES?

this stuff really interests me--- I know people doing it, and like I said, I'd really love to do it someday (maybe in 15 years when my kids are out of the house, who knows. Smile

Avrahamamma

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 5:26 am
amother. could you possibly pm me so we can talk more in depth about this? I'd really like to know more. twinsmommy I think she meant the ratio of children to caregiver. there are legal limits for schools and then legal limits for babysitting.

so no posters? just word of mouth? we're a growing community. I could use the added income and I want to stay home with my baby until he's 3. other parents send their two year olds for the socialization, I'm not ready to put him in a school basement with 20 other children for socializing. I feel better having him in a homey/cozy setting with 5-6 other kids. so having a playgroup would be beneficial for both of us.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 6:56 pm
twinsmommy the state sets alimit of how many kids you can have per person. in all honestly in my state its in a play group 2year old school type system is I think 6 to one adult. where as babysitting is 2 kids 0-18 months per adult. I in all honestly know what I can handle and can handle more than that. its a gamble not being legal meaning if your caught you might need to close down. on the other hand where I live you can have x amount of kids Not being legal. but you can defiantly make tons of money and enjoy your children I love it. avarhama im pm you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers