Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Taking kids to the park in below freezing temperatures
1  2  Next

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:42 am
There is a woman playing with a toddler in the park on my block now. I see them through my window, and they've been there for the past 20 minutes or so at least. Temperatures are in the 20's here today. Is this child abuse? Normal?

Grandmama

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 11:45 am
Is it the mother or a caretaker? I would call someone like Hatzala to check it out. It is ridiculous.
Also how old is the child? Sometimes we need to mind our own business, but sometimes an anonymous call can only help.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:05 pm
The kid looks about 1 1/2 or 2. They left now though. I still think it was ridiculous to go there.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:06 pm
Oh, and it seemed to be the mother, though I don't know them so I can't be sure.

STovah

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:09 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
Is this child abuse? Normal?

Are you serious???? My babysitter takes my children out in this weather unless it is too windy for it to be enjoyable. Not sure where you're located, but I reside in Brooklyn, NY. If the child is well-bundled, what's the issue? Most kids (and their caretakers) are not wired to stay indoors all day. Perhaps they stayed indoors all day yesterday when it was colder, and they needed to get out.

Chavelamomela

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:15 pm
A 20 minute visit to a playground so the child can run around and get out her energy? Sounds totally normal to me!

Hatzala? Hello??? Why? Only if the kid were in the park alone for an hour and not wearing a coat.

Seriously. Use some common sense here. Our alter-bubbies and zaydies spent a lot of time in MUCH colder weather in eastern europe, and I can guarantee that the children played outside. And its definitely not abuse. We have russian friends who Bundle their kids up, load the in the stroller, and put them OUTSIDE IN THE COLD to nap - that's not abuse either! it's normal practice in that culture.

Grandma, using your logic, you could argue that keeping a child cooped up all day inside for days on end is abuse...

Use some common sense here. If the child is bundled up well, then its probably a well-needed opportunity to run around and get some exercise. I am sure that the mom or caretaker made sure to bundle her up properly, and when they got home, they enjoyed a hot drink to warm up.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:28 pm
You also have to realize that the mother is out there also. She wouldn't stay out more than she can stand it.

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:33 pm
I davka love bundling up my kids and taking them out for drop on a Shabbos afternoon in the winter, when the park is empty bec e/o is huddled inside. It's so much more pleasant than when it's hot and shvitzy out and the park is packed.

overthehill

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:35 pm
Good Lord.

To stay in a house with a toddler all day is mental abuse.
Today it is a bit "warmer" than yesterday.
This kid probably needed to let off some steam- and as long as the kid was dressed appropriately, mom did an intelligent thing.

When its 100 degrees outside, you dont stay out all day but to go out for a short period of time is definitely not abuse. Its called being normal.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:36 pm
in scandanavian countries kids go out and play every day, however cold. Kids there all have snowsuits, even older kids, not just toddlers.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:37 pm
I wouldnt do it as just walking on the street brought tears to my eyes.

simplesima

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:42 pm
I live in brooklyn too.
going more then 5 blocks with atoddler is abuse in this weather, I went to the grocery with my toddler yesterday a 5min walk he was crying from the freezing cold and he was bundled up. its freezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing these days.

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:45 pm
Maybe my kids just can't handle the cold well. Yesterday, when I went to pick up the kids from school, I ran and by the time we got there, ds was crying in the stroller that his hands were cold. One of his mittens had fallen off along the way and his hand was red and freezing. He screamed for quite a while. Today is a bit warmer, but not what I call park weather.

Ds is the type of kid who needs that chance to run around. I sometimes take him to the lobby of my building to run around and let out some energy, but I wouldn't take him to the park unless it was at leat in the 30's, and then only for 5 minutes.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:49 pm
Should be ok if the child is bundled in 4 or 5 layers on top (including the coat) and 3 layers on the bottom, plus mittens, hat and a scarf. A little less if s/he is actually running around.

If the mother can stand the cold then I'd assume her child is dressed similarly and is also ok for a while.

if you go outside from a warm place then it takes a while to get really cold. Homes are so overheated in America.

I wouldn't keep a toddler out for hours though.

louche

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 12:59 pm
I took my babies out in all but the worst blizzards. well, ok, once I took them out in a blizzard, but we got as far as the corner and I decided there was no point. I felt frssh air was very important, especially in winter when the house is shut up tight. We might have been out for all of 5-10 minutes some days, but at least they got some fresh air and sunshine, such as it was. Bundle them up, bundle yourself up and you're all set.

How long could we possibly have stayed out? I get cold, too!

slushiemom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 1:00 pm
Boy, this thread is just making me grateful for yet another reason that I made aliyah! It hit the 50's this week at one pont, and out came the coats, hats, gloves and uggs with everyone moaning how cold it is! Smile

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 1:02 pm
slushiemom wrote:
Boy, this thread is just making me grateful for yet another reason that I made aliyah! It hit the 50's this week at one pont, and out came the coats, hats, gloves and uggs with everyone moaning how cold it is! Smile

I'm so jealous! I wish I could move there.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 1:07 pm
Remember to air out your homes daily so that the germs have a chance to escape. Let in some fresh air. I don't remember anyone making an effort to do this when I lived in America. Does anyone do this?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 1:08 pm
slushiemom wrote:

Yeah, I feel the same way living in LA. I grew up in NY and I DONT miss the cold. My kids asked me the other day, could you imagine having to bundle up like that with hats, scarves, boots...? Uh yeah, I COULD imagine! but I dont miss it at all.

anuta

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 1:09 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
There is a woman playing with a toddler in the park on my block now. I see them through my window, and they've been there for the past 20 minutes or so at least. Temperatures are in the 20's here today. Is this child abuse? Normal?

Are you joking? I grew up in a country where temperatures were below freezing most of the winter, does it mean we had to stay inside three-four months in a row? I played outside every day!

Of course you can (and should) take a kid outside in the cold, the key is to dress appropriately (warm boots, hat, scarf, mittens or gloves, layers, good winter coat, warm pants or several layers of pants)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics