Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What do you serve at your Friday night seudah?
Previous  1  2

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:01 am
gold21 wrote:
I was under the impression that shabbos meals should include basar (meat or chicken) and dagim (fish)... which explains why my sisters used to each take one fingernail-size piece of gefilte fish, doused in buckets of horseradish, at each shabbos meal, to keep this mitzva. (my family members and I are rather picky eaters) I couldnt bring myself to touch fish so I was the "bum" LOL.... anyhow, we serve challa, dips, gefilte fish, soup, matza balls, shnitzel, carb side dish, dessert. we skip salad on friday nights, its my "break" from having to prepare it...

Minhag. NOT mitzvah.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:05 am
We'll sometimes do a dairy Friday night meal - either a salmon fillet (although with the price of salmon, I may as well buy entrecot steak) with several kinds of cheeses, spicy potatoes or a pasta dish, or I'll make a corn chowder and serve a spinach cheese lasagna with breaded cauliflower.

When we do fleishigs, it's a variety of things... sometimes homemade sushi or soup. Then a more standard chicken or beef with barley... spinach kugel...

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:14 am
YESHASettler wrote:
We'll sometimes do a dairy Friday night meal - either a salmon fillet (although with the price of salmon, I may as well buy entrecot steak) with several kinds of cheeses, spicy potatoes or a pasta dish, or I'll make a corn chowder and serve a spinach cheese lasagna with breaded cauliflower.

When we do fleishigs, it's a variety of things... sometimes homemade sushi or soup. Then a more standard chicken or beef with barley... spinach kugel...

How do you make the corn chowder?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:24 am
challah (w/tehina, mayonnaise, matbucha, and marg.)
chicken
rice or couscous
tossed salad
sometimes dessert.

same with guests or not.

sometimes dessert but usually not.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 8:39 am
chanchy123 wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:

How do you make the corn chowder?

I just posted the recipe.

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....91297

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 9:03 am
Traditional:

fish - either gefilte or salmon (hot or cold)
soup with lukshen (a few times a year I make kneidlach)
almost always chicken; rarely beef, even more rarely (like, it happened once in nine years) veal
either baked rice or kugel (potato, yerushalmi, carrot or apple)
one salad (two or three for guests)
dessert

JewishMother18

Post Tue, Jan 18 2011, 9:10 am
always soup - never miss even during the long hot summer (that's why we have air conditioning :-))
usually chicken
rice or roast potatoes
vegetable dish
always salad
sometimes dessert but not always

We've had a tradition, for several years, with three other families that between Succot and Pesach we get together after dinner on Friday night (just the parents) for tea and dessert or cake - the kids are usually all out at BA or with friends.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics