Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
WWYD?- cleaning agency question (long...)

avimom

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:20 pm
So, I'm just curious to hear other people's opinions about this...
I called a cleaning agency in the summer and asked them to send me a women for once a week for the minimum amount of hours. They asked if I'd want her regularly and I told them if I'm happy with her. She came, I was happy with her, and she shows up somewhat regularly, more now in the holiday season when she needs the money. (I have asked her to come every week but she sometimes calls to cancel.)

The agency called me a week or two ago and asked me if she's still coming to me. I told them that she is. They said ok. This week they called me that the lady owes them a "finders fee" of a week's salary for finding her this job. The agency wanted me to hold back the money from the lady when she comes and give it to them instead. Frankly, I was horrified and told them that it's not my business if she owes them money- if she works for me, I pay her! The agency called me back every day until I finally told them I'll call a rav (it's a jewish, shomer shabbos agency that half of flatbush uses). I called the Rav who told me under no circumstances may I hold back the money. When I told the agency, they told me that they have mostly religious customers and NOBODY has every complained about this before. They also told me they'll make sure they never find me a lady again. Then, they called the lady and told her if she works for me again they'll never give her another job. The lady called me crying (she claims she already gave them the money) and I managed to convince her to come one last time today since she was already almost at my house.

Now- Would a religious person really not have a problem with this??? Am I the only person that sees this as completely wrong????

marina

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:30 pm
This sounds very wrong and the whole thing sounds weird.

Was there a contract between you and this agency? Between the cleaning lady and the agency?
Was this part of the contract? Did you sign anything saying you agree to withhold her money? Why did the agency wait so long?

Most agencies require a finder's fee up front and it is usually from the people receiving the service, not the workers. If they want the workers to pay, they would have you pay the agency and the agency would cut the check to the workers.

This story sounds crazy and the agency sounds horrible. I wonder if the cleaning lady is being trafficked.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:34 pm
I had the same thing.

I had (have) someone coming to me 12 hours a week. when I called them in the beginning, they never mentioned anything about a finders fee, they only did that after she came to me a few times. when they called me, I said that I already paid her, so they need to take it up with her.

I was horrified when they suggested that I give them half and her half, but thank god I didnt really have to deal with it, because once I told them that I had already paid her in full, they didnt ask me again.

.....I hope its not the same agency, but I can definitely picture this agency doing something like what you describe....

p.s.- I found her another job- do I get a finders fee for that? Smile

marina

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 9:58 pm
on second thought this agency sounds like a scam. I would report them.

SingALong

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 10:17 pm
I've worked with agencies several times. one said they charge me 1/2 a finder's fee and the cleaning lady 1/2 finder's fee so its shared. the first 2 weeks I only pay her 1/2 salary and send that to the agency as the cleaning lady fee. the agency told me the arrangement before senidng me a cleaning lady.

I think many agencies also just charge the cleaning lady.

I would tell the agency that they should have told you this up front, not months later. you can even tell them that if they threaten your cleaning lady then you may need to inform your friends/neighbors that the agency may come to haunty ou months later.

on the other hand, you never know, it oculd be that your lady owes them, but being that they never told you to begin with, the whole issue makes no sense.

avimom

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 10:28 pm
They told me absolutely nothing about any fees when I originally called them. I had no contract, but I believe the lady did have one with them. I do think they should have some sort of other arrangement of how to get the money from the lady- one that does not involve the hirer.
I believe the agency waited so long because they had to see that it was a regular job, not a one time deal...
I'm most surprised that people would actually go along with this!!
L'maiseh, I'm probably out of a cleaning lady and I need a different agency to call for a new one Sad

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 10:45 pm
NEVER EVER tell the cleaning agencies if you want someone on a regular basis. It's not their business. If I like someone, I speak to them myself and arrange things on my own.

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 10:45 pm
and don't pick up if they call.

avimom

Post Thu, Dec 23 2010, 11:02 pm
Now, I don't think that's honest either...
The agencies need to make a parnasa too! If I don't tell them, then they don't get paid at all.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics