Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
IS A lUBAVITCH SCHOOL REALLY DIFFERENT?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:20 pm
We are considering moving to a community where there is a lub. day school and a lubv. high school. (girls) . is the education different then say a reg bais yaakov? Do only chabad families send to a lubav. school? Will a family that is not Lubav. feel like outsiders?

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:25 pm
I think you should ask the school.

cc

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:27 pm
It really depends what kind of chabad school it is and what other kids go there. Are there other choices of schools or is this the only frum school around?

aidelmaidel

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:31 pm
You need to be a little more specific about which community you are talking about.

Certainly some things will "be the same as bais yaakov", but just like other chassidic schools, the children will learn about chassidic yomim tovim (yud tes kislev, etc). Depending on the community and what other chinuch options there are, the school may be geared more towards a mixed student body or towards a more lubavitch student body.

If you sent your daughter to bais rochel in monsey, you would see she learned about the satmar yomim tovim.

Also depending on the focus of the school the children will learn lubabvitch minhagim or possibly more "general" minhagim.

nicole81

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:37 pm
yeah ask the school, and also people from the community that can give you the inside scoop. maybe if you post more details on here, posters can help you.

I know of lubavitch schools which are a big mish mosh of types, and others which aren't.

sarahd

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 6:52 pm
aidelmaidel wrote:
You need to be a little more specific about which community you are talking about.

Certainly some things will "be the same as bais yaakov", but just like other chassidic schools, the children will learn about chassidic yomim tovim (yud tes kislev, etc). Depending on the community and what other chinuch options there are, the school may be geared more towards a mixed student body or towards a more lubavitch student body.

If you sent your daughter to bais rochel in monsey, you would see she learned about the satmar yomim tovim.

Um, no. Bais Rochel in Monsey is not a branch of Beis Ruchel in Williamsburg.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:00 pm
Some important questions to ask the school:

1. do the girls only learn to daven nusach Ari, is your child allowed to davn her own nusach.
2. what type of Lubavitch holidays do they teach or practice. For example: are they still celebrating the rebbes birhtday even after he died?
3. Is it a Mishachist school?
4. Do they teach halacha according to lubavitch. Ex. Men don't have to sleep in the sukka - ever - according to Lubavitch.
5. Do they teach Tanya?
6. how many girls go to the school who aren't lubavitch?

cc

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:13 pm
Of course a lubavitch school celebrates the rebbe's birthday. Same way they commemorate every other rebbe's birthday- starting from the besht. And it really doesnt matter if it's mishichist or not. And yes they will teach tanya. They also teach chumash and navi and halacha according to the shulchan orech.

Liba

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:27 pm
cc shulchan orech harav

cc

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:33 pm
I stand corrected. Meant to say the chabad halachos and minhagim come from a source and not just made up by some fanatical lubavitchers

amother

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:34 pm
cc wrote:
And it really doesnt matter if it's mishichist or not.

Sorry to disagree, and not to get into a debate about this right here, but I think that it really DOES matter, especially since the OP is not Lubavitch!

gryp

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:36 pm
It depends on the crowd and who they're catering to. Check out the teachers as well.

I went to a mixed Lub school, which included the teachers as well as a good percentage of the students. How many times did my parents have to tell me that what I learned from my non-Lubav teacher is not our way.

Quote:

1. do the girls only learn to daven nusach Ari, is your child allowed to davn her own nusach.
2. what type of Lubavitch holidays do they teach or practice. For example: are they still celebrating the rebbes birhtday even after he died?
4. Do they teach halacha according to lubavitch. Ex. Men don't have to sleep in the sukka - ever - according to Lubavitch.
5. Do they teach Tanya?

Amother, your questions show more confusion about Lubavitch than anything else.

Atali

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:40 pm
amother wrote:
cc wrote:
And it really doesnt matter if it's mishichist or not.

Sorry to disagree, and not to get into a debate about this right here, but I think that it really DOES matter, especially since the OP is not Lubavitch!

I think she meant that it does not matter with regards to whether the birthdays of all of the rebbeim are celebrated. All Lubavitch schools, mishichist or not, celebrate the birthdays of all of the rebbeim.

cc

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:40 pm
Youre right dont want to debate it. But davka bec OP not lubavitch dont think it matters or will affect her life either way too much. Any more then the rest of the chabad philosophy will make a difference to the chinuch of her kids. It's all part of the same question how is the school diff-

NotInNJMommy

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 7:46 pm
Is it a lubav school or is it just run by lubavitchers?

I know of a community where there is a day school and girls' hs run by lubavitchers, but the day school is not lubavitch (it is even pretty relaxed for any centrist orthodox), and the girls' school isn't anything to write home about. It's more for girls that don't fit in to a more mainstream lubav high school and who aren't especially academically inclined.

Anyways, really talk to lots of parents there (not just the hanhola) about what the schools are like.

soldat

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 8:01 pm
amother wrote:

5. Do they teach Tanya?

amother, your questions or at least the way they were asked are somewhat offensive - I say this based on my gut reaction your questions really took me by surprise!

first of all, if the school is run by chabad they have the authority to teach acording to any shita. I'd like to answer your questions although I don't know which school OP is talking about just so I can clear up a thing or two.

1. the sidur of choice is probably nusach ari - just as if you'd go to a chabad shul it would be. however could a child bring her own sidur? being that chabad tries to be inclusive I assume the answer would be yes! no problem at all!

2. as someone mentioned above we have always celebrated rabeim's bdays after they have passed away, such as chai elul which is the b-day of the besht and alter rebbe. I'm not quite sure why leanring about special days such as these would be an issue - no one is demanding that the child celebrate these days all the time.

3. I can understand that this would be a concern, but I don't know of many schools that shove it down your throat or make a really big deal out of it - it can always be explained that we have a different belief.

4. is it such a problem to learn other people's minhagim???? as a student in a chabad school I learned both and reasons for both!

5. would it poisen the child to learn tanya CH"v?? Tanya simply explains how one can serve Hashem in a better way! why should that be a problem?

6. this is the ONLY really valid point. although there are plenty of chabad kids out there are the only chabad child in their class. and they do just fine.

amother

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 8:15 pm
Hi op here-- I was wondering about the hebrew acadamy in Margate and the hs (bais chana?) IN CORAL SPRINGS.
tHAnks for info and no, lets not debate, I just want some info! Tia!!

cookielady

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 8:20 pm
Op, you can pm me for info.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
We are considering moving to a community where there is a lub. day school and a lubv. high school. (girls) . is the education different then say a reg bais yaakov? Do only chabad families send to a lubav. school? Will a family that is not Lubav. feel like outsiders?

What about kashrus? Tsnius? Shuls ? Is it a town with only Lub ?

flmommy

Post Sat, Dec 25 2010, 10:03 pm
You can pm me as well as I have a son who attends the school. As it is a "community" school there is definitely a mix of students, parents and teachers. As far as the area goes if you moved to Boca there is a bigger mix of people but Coral Springs is pretty much all Chabad.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children